Poll

Do you think we should make a "New Users" Start-up section?

Yes, a new Board
5 (15.6%)
Yes, a Child Board
3 (9.4%)
Yes, a Banner
10 (31.3%)
No
7 (21.9%)
I want a cracker
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: June 07, 2007, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: RESET - Do we need a "Hey - New Users! Start Here" link?  (Read 11853 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
RESET - Do we need a "Hey - New Users! Start Here" link?
Well, I think we should have a child board in "Important Stuff" called "The New User Guide".  In this board, there should be several stickied, locked posts by admins.  The rest of us can suggest changes to said stickied posts by making their own topic, and new users can ask questions using the same method.  This keeps the instructions available to new users short and to the point.  What do you say?   :nod:  ;)

EDIT: Posted a picture showing what I mean.  We could have a Child Board of Support labeled "New User Guide" ... or, we could have a whole Board, whichever.

EDIT2: Posted a pic of dice's idea (which I like!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:28:24 am by jr2 »

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Re: Do we need a "Hey - New Users! Start Here" link?
Most importantly I think we need a banner or button that says something like "New to HLP and/or Freespace SCP Klick here" and then you are taken to the beginners guide
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Do we really need yet another subforum? I vote no.

Do we really need yet another subforum? I vote no.

Why not then we can be more like the US Govt  :D
I gotta agree though voted no.

wish I could vote twice though, I really want a cracker
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Maybe not a subfourm, just a thread.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What's the point in Meh when you can also get a cracker?

ANYWAY, think it could be possible and helpful to newbies but most of the newcomers already know what's happening anyway. What we need is a sticked FAQ thread on FS --- 3 which is locked but is added to when new things come up.

wish I could vote twice though, I really want a cracker

Me too...  :(

But anyway, we really should have a "Go Here first" thing for newcomers. At the very least a link to Turey's Installer that is not part of someone's sig. :p
I know when I first came here I was confused as hell for two months as to how to get FSO updated all the way. It would have been extremely helpful then, and it would be extremely helpful now.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Posted a pic showing what I mean in the first post.  @ All you crackers folks:  Recant!  :lol: j/k

Offline diceman111

I think that something more like a banner would be more useful

Something like this (See Attachment) and it would be linked to some thread that simply says Hi and explains a bit with alot of useful links and then it says that if you have anything to ask just post (not in that thread however)

/Dice

[attachment deleted by admin]

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Excellent idea... now everyone, go vote again!  :D

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Re: RESET - Do we need a "Hey - New Users! Start Here" link?
I say NO. If people are not smart enough to simply post in an off-topic zone, perhaps we don't need them too much? When I came to this forum I had been a part of a few communities; when they'd have a New Users--Click here banner, the intro was rather dumbed-down.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Well, we'd be putting this there for people who are completely new, wouldn't we? I agree that people who have been part of a couple forums might know how to get around, but what if this is their first forum, hmm?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
CREATE CREATE CREATE A CHILD BOARD FOR NEWBIES!!!

I will finally know where I can look for n00bs to welcome!!!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I say NO. If people are not smart enough to simply post in an off-topic zone, perhaps we don't need them too much? When I came to this forum I had been a part of a few communities; when they'd have a New Users--Click here banner, the intro was rather dumbed-down.

Well if you were a clueless dropout from California who had never been part of any other community then you would need some help. :doubt:

STFU.

Offline diceman111

Well if you were a clueless dropout from California who had never been part of any other community then you would need some help. :doubt:

STFU.

Or one from sweden I sometimes still dont know where to look

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And on a side not, I am not implying that I'm a clueless dropout from California. :P

Actually guys this is the first board where I haven't seen a new users area, so on second thought maybe a new users area would be a good idea, but personally the way this one is set up my 9 year old got FS for his computer with no help from me at all, has read all he needs to read, and has no [problems at all on the forum, and he's not a computer wiz, trust me.
And yes this is the first forum he's ever read. No he'll probably never post here, he thinks were all lame.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline bloated

I'm trying to figure out how you were hurt by the "new users" banner?

aside from the elitist position of "enhanced enlightenment" why do you want to make FreeSpace and the Source Code Project less accessible to ppl?

what exactly do you lose by the addition of a banner that you will ignore anyway?

what doese the Source Code Project and Hard Light stand to lose by making things easier?

what is the purpose of the Source Code Project and Hard Light if not to make itself accessible to more than the "select few" that populate it now? :doubt:

Offline Centrixo

i vote yes.

i came to this forum and had no clue that everyone here were all computer geeks. So the slightest mistake is frowned up on for E.G. the subtitle under my nickname, i can ask them to remove it but that would be frowned on... then attacked.

i voted yes, because any new person who hits this forum does not know what there in for, and should ultimatly know the rules and who everyone is before making a small slip up, which ultimatly costs your reputation on this forum forever. (i am not joking  :wtf:)
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.

STFU.

Or one from sweden I sometimes still dont know where to look
Hey; this is a matter of opinion and position. I am personally against it--I always felt odd introducing myself like that. Let me quote myself from my first post in Aug '06...

Hey everyone... I know I'm new here, but I gotta big question...

May someone help me get a copy of Freespace 2 without buying it on eBay (i'm not quite 18, and when I am FS2 will probably be $100+ per copy).

I have the Freespace 2 Colossus, but when I got it, FS2 was already unavailable (it came with my cheap ForceFeedback Joystick from Logitech). I really want to play the actual game, after playing the demo at least twenty times over. So, may someone do something for me like (a) sell it to me for cash money or (b) burn me a copy?

Thanks all!

EDIT: The computer I can play the game on has a burner, but is not connected to our junky LAN. This computer has no CD Burner. My flash drive is only about 500mb, so unless someone can make the file properly split and rejoin at the same spot, the flash drive is out.

Anyways; I don't really like being told "say hi here and then do this, that, check this out, download this junk, and don't forget you need all that".

I am against it; sorry it offends you but a welcoming like what most forums have offends me.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.