Author Topic: Newbie Help: Wrong Weapons in Bearbaiting  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Aracan

Newbie Help: Wrong Weapons in Bearbaiting
Hello,
I was referred here from the General FS Forum - maybe you can help me? My problem is this: I have downloaded and installed FS2 Open 3.6.9 and started to play the campaign. Now I'm stuck in the Bearbaiting mission: Instead of the Helios and Trebuchet missiles mentioned in the mission briefing, I get only Harpoons, which seem to do hardly any damage to the Sathanas' turrets.
I can't change the ship nor the weapons configuration. Any hints?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Newbie Help: Wrong Weapons in Bearbaiting
either you weapons.tbl, your ships.tbl (those weapons not alloweed oin your fighter) or the mission itself.

I'd take a wild guess and say weapons.tbl
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I would hazard a guess at a corrupted Pilot file. You didn't happen to try out another mod during playing this campaign did you? If so the only way to continue is to create a new pilot (or clone the one you have, that way you will keep the key bindings the same) and play alll the way through the campaign again. Or if Kara happens by, then he maybe able to create you a special campaign file that will start you off at that mission which you can use with your new pilot to finish off the campaign.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Aracan

Thanks for your help! I didn't try any other mods, so maybe it's weapons.tbl. If so, can I simply edit it in Notepad or similar?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not weapons.tbl at all. It's a corrupted pilot. Gimme a few minutes and I'll build you a campaign file that will eliminate the problem.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 07:49:49 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aracan

Wow, this forum is really awesome! No hurry, though, since I won't be home until next week. But thanks in advance!

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Hmmm, seems I was right. I'm getting better at this (helping newbies I mean). Oh and Aracan...................

:welcome:

;)

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Done. I've made a campaign file which will restart you in the right place. Follow these instructions.

1. Run the game. Go to the campaign room and restart the campaign.
2. Quit
3. Download and extract this file to your Freespace2\Data\Missions folder.
4. Run the game and restart the campaign again (Not certain you need this but it can't hurt if I built the file correctly)
5. Enjoy
6. Once you've completed the campaign delete the file or you'll never be able to play the campaign from the start again.

Offline MT

Hmm, I had that recently, only in FS1 port with "Enter the Dragon". I had a older save file so all I did was to use the older one to get past it.

If the mission allows you to arm the wings, you can use the reset button to "repair" the error right?

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Hmm, I had that recently, only in FS1 port with "Enter the Dragon". I had a older save file so all I did was to use the older one to get past it.

If the mission allows you to arm the wings, you can use the reset button to "repair" the error right?

That doesn't always work, and never works if the pilot file has been corrupted. You could try calling in the support ship as soon as you enter the mission, sometimes that will reset some of the armaments, but not always.

Offline MT

The secondaries were fine (10 Interceptors, which was the default for the mission) but when I called the support, it gave me 1 Avenger and 1 ML-16, which were different from the default (when it should have been 1 Prometheus and 1 D-Advanced).

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Done. I've made a campaign file which will restart you in the right place. Follow these instructions.

1. Run the game. Go to the campaign room and restart the campaign.
2. Quit
3. Download and extract this file to your Freespace2\Data\Missions folder.
4. Run the game and restart the campaign again (Not certain you need this but it can't hurt if I built the file correctly)
5. Enjoy
6. Once you've completed the campaign delete the file or you'll never be able to play the campaign from the start again.

Do you have a list of when the various ships/weapons become available in the FS2 campaign already made?  A number of us can easily make these campaign files for resumption (I've done it for a few people), but I for one haven't been bothered to figure out exactly when the various ships/weapons are accessible.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/gameplay.html#fs2shipsallowed

Be warned that when you attempt to realign the campaign tree FRED borks up the placement of the cutscenes. I always solved this by running the newly created campaign file against the original in WinMerge and ensuring that everything was in the correct place.

If you make any for anyone else and I don't show up and grab them I'd appreciate it if you tell me about it. I'm slowly collecting a full set. :)

hehe borks

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/gameplay.html#fs2shipsallowed

Be warned that when you attempt to realign the campaign tree FRED borks up the placement of the cutscenes. I always solved this by running the newly created campaign file against the original in WinMerge and ensuring that everything was in the correct place.

If you make any for anyone else and I don't show up and grab them I'd appreciate it if you tell me about it. I'm slowly collecting a full set. :)

I'll let you know =)  The only ones I've bothered with use the last couple missions, so no cutscenes were present.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Aracan

Thanks for your help, karajorma! :yes:
I'll try it tomorrow (was away for the weekend, as I mentioned).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I always solved this by running the newly created campaign file against the original in WinMerge and ensuring that everything was in the correct place.

Looks pwnsome... just curious, are there any other utils besides WinMerge & QuickPar that you use?  You should put a "Useful system utilities" section in your FAQ... :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
WinGrep

And yes both of those are slated to appear in Tools page of the next revision already. WinMerge or some other kind of diff tool is a basic necessity that any coder\FREDder\Tabler should have so it's not just there as a useful system tool. I use it mostly for FS2 related work.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Downloading... done!

Gah.  And all this time, I've been using two Notepad or Windows Explorer windows tiled side by side... :ick:  (actually, 7-zip includes a pretty handy dual pane explorer mode.  :nod: )

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Notepad2 is a great program for when you want to do a quick code dive, without waiting for your IDE to start up.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.