Author Topic: Multiplayer Setup Instructions  (Read 36334 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Multiplayer Setup Instructions
Important!
Read everything.l

check your TBP version.
Are you using the 3.4b (Final) release?

Step1: create an account here: http://fs2netd.game-warden.com
Step2: open the TBP launcher and set your Internet connection to LAN (under "network")
Step3: start the standard-build TBP game (NOT INF, INF BUILDS DONT WORK IN MULTIPLAYER)
Step4: create a new multiplayer pilot or select a singleplayer one and convert it (via main menu, "pilots")
Step5: check your settings! press F2 and select "multi".
TCP has to be checked
multidata has to be unchecked
pxo has to be checked and filled with the correct info about your account at gamewarden (ignore"squad")
set object updates to low if you want to play, to high if you want to host
transfer missions: check "missions"
Step6: go to main menu and press "continue" to play TBP online
Warning messages about hacked tables are normal.

Warning: Norton Anti Virus doesn't like PXO. Disable it, and in additional blocking rules disable Email Worm Protection.

Additional missions can (and should) be downloaded here:
http://www.fubar.org/TBP/B5-M-MultiPack-1.zip
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:43:35 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP MULTIPLAYER TUTORIAL
Don't bother with object updates. Add -cap_object_update 0 to custom flags in the launcher and you can leave it on high permanently.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
New location for downloads:  Multi Mission Pack 
Backup link in case the above isn't working: Backup Pack

This contains all the missions.  Anything new or changed will be added to this file.  I will be adding a readme file with know problems.  If you find a bug or problem that isn't in the readme let us know. 

Readme file has been added.  There are now 18 TvT, 8 dogfights, and 1 gauntlet mission.  Some will not work with the current 3.4b but will with the next release.  They are noted in the readme file. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:05:53 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
More missions and backup download site added.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Multiplayer Setup Instructions
just a quick one really just tried to log on etc , and it worked yeah , just a hacked tables issue ? is this normal?

ive no mods running , at first i thought it was because i cloned a pilot , but tried a new pilot same message ........

;)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'll get that message until the next version of TBP comes out. When it does we'll validate the tables and it will stop appearing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

When I try to connect I just get a "connection failed" message as soon as I try. Any Ideas would be welcome, thanks.

Offline Shade

I'm getting the same, but I have a suspect for the cause. The included fs2open_pxo.cfg file looks obsolete. Unfortunately I don't know the correct info for TBP.

[Edit] I can connect if I copy over the file from my regular FS2 installation, just need the port number for the TBP daemon. Anyone?

[Edit 2] Found it through experimentation. Attaching the fixed file, just drop that into your TBP data directory and you should be able to connect. Can't see any games, but the website shows me in the correct category so I'm guessing that's just a firewall issue for the host.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:36:28 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Guess we forgot to post the config file.  I don't have it here but I will upload it as soon as I get to my system that has the correct one. 

Offline Shade

Figured it out. Fixed file is attached on my earlier post. I also managed to create 3 new pilots in WCS, BtRL and finally TBP while testing different ports to find the correct one :p

[Edit] Actually it doesn't look like anyone can see each other's games. Either we're all having firewall issues, or there's something else at work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:56:12 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline captain-custard

shade your game flicked on my sum what empty list about 5 minutes ago then dissapeared if that helps any ,
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Shade

Yeah, I was logging on and off trying various stuff to see if I could get IPA's game to appear on my list. It's up again now though - Do you see it?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Not really ready tonight guys. Turn up tomorrow at 8pm GMT. :)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline captain-custard

ok i got a problem..........

i followed all instructions ,i got the new version etc, just re-updated mission pack ,
my folder is clean ( all mods not in main folder)

i can log on to network, load up misions but if i try to start a mission i crash straight away,

i, just for interests sakes did the same with old version , no log in but i can load missions and then play them all be it on my own ,

any reason why i crash, checked my firewall and it says all is ok ,

just to say it plays perfectly in single player, infact its amazing , still drooling from the graphics......

thanks in advance

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:11:06 pm by andicirk »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Make sure your not using the inferno build.

Offline captain-custard

nope not using inferno build , just 3.6.9 version 1.03.01 , and its dated  2007-12-03, 00:55 if that helps any, the launcher is 5.5b

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Is it every missions or just certain ones?  Any error message?

Make sure you aren't doing any missions that involve the Shadows, Vorlons, Minbari, or Drakh.  There is a new table entry that you don't have that might cause it.   Try the EA mission.

Offline captain-custard

havent tried them all but , ive tried about six, no luck, tried with all features off tried everything i know just bugs as soon as i touch commit , get a micro**** error message, which tells me nothing

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
You can try the debug build.  You'll get about a dozen warnings right at startup and a couple during missions load but you can just ignore them. 

Offline captain-custard

tried debug it crashes out with a chatbox problem, ip address should i be using and what port, ?