Author Topic: Project Zathras  (Read 31155 times)

Offline den5

Disable environment maps.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
And just how and where do I do that?  

If you mean in the launcher that won't help since this is a model specific issue right now.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Disabling env maps doesn't fix the env map, the alpha needs to be severely reduced in the shine map.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline den5

And just how and where do I do that?  

If you mean in the launcher that won't help since this is a model specific issue right now.

Yes I mean that you do it in the launcher. I have no such issue with Core 3.4 or Zathras.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I think I found the problem.  After some tinkering it seems when you save a shine map in paint.net you need to turn on the weight colors by alpha flag for dxt5.  I'll just have to resave them all. 

I really should start testing in missions with some backgrounds.  Not only would it have prevented this but I'd get less complaints about ugly screenshots.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Reuploaded with the fixed shine maps.

Offline Slasher

Tested with the Xerxes nameplate and it looks good!

Not that it matters much with nameplate ability now, but did the generic non-named Nova texture get updated too?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yes I had to redo the uvmap for that texture and split out the textures for the other side.  Basically it's just the old 512x512 texture made into a 1024x512 texture with the textures for the sides of the ship duplicated so the text isn't backwards on one side.  So I guess it's not really an update but more of a redo using the original textures. 

Offline Slasher

Thanks for the quick response, FUBAR.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
If you don't mind can you send me any additional nameplates so I can include them in Zathras for everyone to use?

Offline Slasher

Sure, this attachment has the Nova nameplates for the George III and Burgoyne.  I've got some Omega nameplates too but they lack shine maps so I didn't bother including them.  Let me know if you want them anyways.

[attachment deleted by MSC

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I think there are only 2 Omegas in 3.4b that have shine maps so might as well add those too.  Maybe one of these days I'll get ambitious and try to do shine maps for them all.  Sounds link a good Winter project.

Offline Slasher

Okay, here's nameplates for Omega-class destroyers Alcmene, October, Fates, Innsmouth, Cato, and Knossos.  It's in two parts because the single 1.03 MB file exceeded the 1024kb limit.

[attachment deleted by MSC

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
In the directory and ready to be packed up for the next release.  Think I'm going to rename FUBAR.vp to Nameplates.vp.  Right now it only contains nameplates and there are enough of them for a separate .vp. 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
While researching stuff for my mainhall project, I came across this:

Now, I know most TBP players have no need for the help overlay, but still....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Guessing that was left over from FS2.  Anyone that feels like fixing it go right ahead and I'll get it in there.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It looks to me like that "shine maps" problem is caused by a complete lack of smoothing.

Basically, if that's how it manifests itself for diffuse lighting, the appearance with env maps is guaranteed to be much worse. :P

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Huh?  The shine map problem was caused by saving in DXT5 instead of DXT1 like the original was. 

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well, check your smoothing anyway.

And I meant to env maps, but it seemed you were using the wrong term.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Sorry I'm not a modeler so when I see -shine I assume it's a shine map.