Author Topic: Project Zathras  (Read 31152 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
We've had this in development for several weeks now.  Finally with the release of 3.6.10's first release candidate we are releasing the first beta of Project Zathras.   To install just unzip to your TBP folder and set Zathras as you mod.  People not using windows can grab the appropriate build from the SCP release thread.  Adding -mod Zathras to you command line also works.  A shortcut for FRED is included but you will need to modify it if you installed to a location other then the default.

What is Project Zathras you ask.  Simply put it is a multiplayer mod for TBP.  This release contains the beta of the first stage of the project.  There are 2 directories.  Zathras itself contains a vp which contains patches and extras for TBP.  SCP contains some other fixes.  These are only needed for running debug mode for bug reporting.  Also included is the 3.6.10 RC1 inferno build which is now mutiplayer compatible.  That's right no more need for separate inferno and standard builds in TBP.  One build covers it all.  

Zathras is not only for fixes though.  While the main file Zathras.vp is for fixes this directory will also be used for additional multipayer content in the future.  You'll find a few new ships and other things in there now but all of that stuff was already in TBP 3.4b final in one form or another.  

Known problems that still exist:
-3 pof files still have null MOI errors.  
-The VE Dreadnought while fixed and working does not work the way it was meant to.  Hopefully this can be fixed at some point.  
-Gunship beam problem in multi.  Fix for this will be implemented in 2 ways.  Kara already has a code fix that will be added post 3.6.10.  I will also be adding some alternate AI-profiles with different multiplayer scoring features that the FREDder can select.  At lest one of these will include the flag that counts cap ship beam damage which will also fix the gunship problem.  
-Beam weapons and lag cause player to go into limo at respawn.  Will be fixed post 3.6.10.  

Complete lists of the problems found and changes made are included in the archive.  If you run into anything feel free to post.  If you know how to fix it even better.  Just post the change on email me the fix and we'll get it tested and into the next version.  

We would love some feedback.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:32:09 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No one, ever listens to poor Zathras no, he's quite mad they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind, has even grown to like it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
well, first we got 3.6.10 and second TBP has no high-profile release.

Will change with time.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
this really is a gem for multiplayer and after the turmoil of the decision to develop this every one who is interested should download and use this , the game is so worth playing and with this add on that a few ppl have taken many hours getting to the beta stage the faster we test it the faster it is released....

thanks fubar and vid and the tbp and scp team for this , heads back to more bug testing.....;
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Updated.  Not too many changes from RC1.  RC2 Inferno is now included. 

If you have RC1 it's probably a good idea to remove the existing Zathras directory before installing.  You could leave Zathras\data\cache if you have a slow system and wanted to cut down on the initial cache file building. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:51:13 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Havner

You should make this a main page announcement that TBP bugfixing has started. I found this only by accident wandering through forums.

Looking at the number of replies in this post not many people know about this and this is so much needed set of fixes...

Thanks a lot!
Need a linux launcher? Check here.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Like I said, no one ever listens to poor Zathras :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
You should make this a main page announcement that TBP bugfixing has started. I found this only by accident wandering through forums.

Looking at the number of replies in this post not many people know about this and this is so much needed set of fixes...

Thanks a lot!

Well it's still in beta.  We'll make the release announcement when the release build is made probably just after 3.6.10 is released. 

Offline Vidmaster

I "recruted" a few lurkers (but otherwise regular players) to test it. I'll post here if they come across an error.
Also, I advertised the thing in other (some German speaking) forums and asked for feedback there too.

EDIT: There we have feedback.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:43:29 am by Vidmaster »

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline captain-custard

omg vidmaster is alive
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
But all the BoBs aren't.  ;)
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Vidmaster

yeahyeahyeah, very busy at the moment.

Offline Vidmaster

damn!  :mad:

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:53:36 pm by Vidmaster »

Offline captain-custard

ok now can we have it in context

Offline Vidmaster

I am working on getting a reponse on the context from the reporting player. Have some paticence.
Still, to me it looks like a buggy table entry.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
uhm, what?

I thought this is a known problem, 'cause with any newer 3.6.10 build i have missing textures on ships
( Drakh ships for instance ), happens also randomly on other ships.

My first thought was driver/ settings prob, but during a quick a test on a different comp it happened again.

Offline captain-custard

even with the RC2 builds ?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Didn't have the time to test it with the RC1/ RC2 builds.

Offline captain-custard

im sure its recomended ..........

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Looks like a similar issue someone is having with FS2 in 3.6.10.  Of course that is looking like the standard Intel video drivers not supporting OpenGL correctly. 

One thing that can be done to test is try 3.6.9 inferno with and without Zathras.  I haven't tried it with 3.6.9 in awhile but there is no reason I can think of it shouldn't work.

Just noticed the viewing from support 1.  Wonder if that has ever been tried before.  I'll check the ship in a bit and see if it even has an eyepoint.