Author Topic: Best ship yet...the Icarus  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Anaz

Best ship yet...the Icarus
I really hope I spelled the name right...but anyways....

ok, this was inspired by the Early Awac concept pic in sheepy's sig for the fs2 concepts. I was working on it, and as I worked, new ideas came as to what the ship was.

The Icarus

This ship was the first manned earth ship to ever use subspace. It was designed after research into harmonic frequences led to the discovery of subspace, and the Icarus was created to explore these new areas that were acessable to mankind. The reason for all of the 'stuff' in the front section of the craft (in the big wire rack) is that the early earth reactors for powering these craft were very unstable, and so all of the living supplies and alot of the things used to power the reactor (that were quite stable on their own) were put in the front section behind a helluva lot of shielding to protect the crew in case of a malfunction or explosion in the reactor. The bay on the very front of the rack was used to put out small craft for further research of an area, or to set down landing craft on new planets. The big radar dishes are large insturments used for studying stars and planets, which can only be placed there because of the amount of shielding around the reactor, which reduces the 'noise' from the rest of the ship. The other bay-looking thing is a scoop for the Icarus to refuel some of its tanks when in low orbit around a gas giant or in a nebula. The box-thing on the other side of the reactor is a cargo hold for the more unstable elements that are used in the reactor.

so, now that you read all that, here's the pics:

enjoy!

[glow=red](TEXTURER WANTED)[/glow]
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
:jaw:

dude, that is incredible!  That ship will be a real pain in the ass to texture, though.  Looks like an awesome bulk freighter to me.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Anaz

probably not too hard, most of the stuff on the inside is an object, so you could texture those, and then put it all together
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

This is an awesome ship. I hope you'll make it available to us all. I remember putting that ship up on my Volition Concept website, the GTA Capacious: http://www.geocities.com/alpha_quadrant_project/concept.html

Offline Anaz

thats the one!

it was in sheepy's sig, thats the link I clicked, so thats where I got it from, and I'll make the mesh availible as a .scn
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Analazon
thats the one!

it was in sheepy's sig, thats the link I clicked, so thats where I got it from, and I'll make the mesh availible as a .scn

and that won't work ingame.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It looks good! But what's the poly count? Looks to large for FS at the moment...

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
That superstructure will be a pain to stabilise in FS2. The extra polygons you'll have to add will send your poly count through the roof. You know that don't you? :)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
:jaw: That is frickin sweet!! Someone'd better texture this...

We get a few more ships like this and that Apollo Prototype, and we'll have the makings of a Pre TV war FS prequel...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2002, 04:13:50 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by IPAndrews
That superstructure will be a pain to stabilise in FS2. The extra polygons you'll have to add will send your poly count through the roof. You know that don't you? :)

plus such geometry WILL result in awfull clipping pbs, believe me. Btw, it's pretty obvious that it's a freighter, not an AWACS, Sheepy named it on a rush it seems :lol:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by venom2506

Btw, it's pretty obvious that it's a freighter, not an AWACS, Sheepy named it on a rush it seems :lol:

While it may not be an AWACS, I disagree that it's obviouslya freighter. If you accept Analazon's explaination for the ships design features, then it could be anything, and chances are that this was everything, including a little bit of AWACS. Think about it, it was an exploration ship, crewed and built by people who had no idea what they'd find on the other side of the node. The best sensors of the day would have been placed on it, as would the best engines, navigation systems, Communications, cargo holds. So it was a little bit Freightery, a little bit AWACSy, a little bit transporty. The only thing it probavbly wasn't was warshippy (Terrans being the peace loving fellows that we are, at least in sci fi:doubt: ). Will this ultimately have any turrets?
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Anaz

1152 polys

no turrets probably, spacebourn weapons were not seen as very needed, and were a complete pain to add because of power stuff

(and I'm lazy...)
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by Black Wolf
So it was a little bit Freightery, a little bit AWACSy, a little bit transporty. The only thing it probavbly wasn't was warshippy

I dunno. I could see the GTVA (or someone else) putting AWACS systems and combat capability in the same ship design.

(couOraclegh) :thepimp::D

I don't see that design as being very combat-worthy either tho; if it was the first subspace ship ever, then its guns must be pitiful. Pre-ML16.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
But it needs them! No AWACS can be complete without the almighty Terran Turret Weak!!!!
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
clipping -will- keep that model from glory in its current state.  however, there are solutions.

make the external superstructure 1 model, and split everything inside it into separate models, texture them in truespace and then glue them together, with the superstructure as the main object and everything else as subobjects.  If all the models are closed, there should be little or no clipping.  spacing the objects just a tad bit apart will also aid in getting rid of the clipping.

Offline Riven

was the purpose of making this ship to be an in game ship? or was it to be used prehaps for renders and historical animations?

Offline Anaz

super structure is already one object...

oh, [glow=red]DOWNLOAD HERE[/glow][/b]
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
are we allowed to split it into destroyable sub-objects now? and texture it? i think it looks pretty cool. :)
errr, the triangulated poly count is 3268. uh oh
oh, it's already split into heaps of sub-objects. the poly count is still pretty high though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2002, 11:41:55 pm by 815 »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities