Author Topic: Call of Duty 2 Server strike  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Call of Duty 2 Server strike
Thought this was interesting...aparrantly Infinity Ward has been neglecting the community for it's Call of Duty 2 game, and now the entire community is engaged in a massive server strike, designed to make them take notice.

http://www.iwnation.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=17450&st=0

There comes a time when a little revolution can do an awful lot more good than meekly submitting to the will of others, especially if you feel you have a genuine greivance.

That time is NOW my friends.
What do i mean?

I propose that if you are happy with following Statement you post your acceptance in this thread and get as many others as possible to sign up including League/Ladder players & admins, Clan members, server admins/providers and just about every COD/UO/COD2 player you can ask.

"We request here and now that either Activision or Infinty Ward make an offcial announcement regarding their future support for the Call of Duty series of games on or before 16th December 2005.

The statement should include the following:

1. When will you include an Anti-Cheat system for COD2?
2. When you you release your 1st patch for COD2?
3. What will it include?
4. What other plans have you for the support of the Call of Duty Games?
5. What will you do to ensure this situation does not arise again?

Failure to comply with this very simple request will result in the following action:

We will actively encourage ALL
Clans, Leagues, Ladders, Players, Admins and server providers to enforce a series of 24hr mass server shutdowns of all Call of duty games at a time of our choosing.

Don't take this lightly, word spreads, people won't buy a broken toy.
This has never been done before and do you really want to go down as the first and only companies to have it's client/fan base take such drastic measures in order to simply be given some regular information about a product, the choice is yours alone.

WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED ANY LONGER.

TALK TO US AND HELP US, TO HELP YOU MAKE THE CALL OF DUTY SERIES BETTER ONLINE GAMES.

DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

To my knowledge, should this action take place it will be the first and only time such drastic measures have been taken by any gaming community anywhere in the world.
I don't want us to make history but it may come done to it.

SHAME ON YOU AV AND IW FOR LETTING IT GET THIS FAR....

A picture of the servers:

http://www.iwnation.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=18299

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Re: Call of Duty 2 Server strike
Whoa... that's hard-core. It'll be really interesting to see if it works.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Admirable.. but I find myself thinking "Did they actually buy support when they purchased the game?". My point being that although it'd be terrible customer service and exposure to be found neglecting fans by ignoring them.. did Activision or Infinty Ward actually promise consistent patches, anti-cheating measures or any other support for COD2 or any other game for that matter? Do the fans technically deserve anything?

That said, since I'm a fan and not a developer I rather hope the strike does work. It should send a solid message that game dev/publishers are not above providing proper support for the products that consumers buy.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Oh em gee, people won't play multiplayer. This will SURELY hurt the companies, by not playing a FREE ASPECT of the game. It's not an MMO. It might work, ya know, if they told people to not buy it anymore.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
That's what they're doing; read the statement :p

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Server shutdowns aren't "not buying" a game. It won't cost them a damned penny.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Thought it said that they would encourage people not to buy...later in the thread, some people say that, that's why I got confused.

But think about it: this is on IWard's official forum - when people come looking for game info, they'll see this. On top of that, it will probably get some minor media coverage, and when people see the servers, they'll go "oh crap". :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Stupid nitpick; IWNation is the official forums, but they're still run independently and by fans; they started off as unofficial.  I used to post there in the very brief period when I was mapping for CoD.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Server shutdowns aren't "not buying" a game. It won't cost them a damned penny.

Server shutdowns will encourage multiplayer addicts to buy something else, maybe UT2004 instead. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hey, I think it's awesome. I'm not planning on buying Call of Duty 2.

....of course, I wasn't planning on buying it in the first place, but whatever. :p
-C

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
And someone please ban that stupid shotgun, or tone it down some.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.