Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 596446 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
WTFO is questioning some of his recent life decisions (watch from 15:00 ) and starts getting emotional at 22:00

... honestly, this is hilarious
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I might have had my life inexorably altered by a game (thanks  :v-old:) but I can't imagine having thrown my lot in with a company this badly (okay maybe Google with trying the Youtube thing) and then saying that if that company doesn't deliver my life as I know it is over.

Also, the writing's been on the wall since they started blowing up the scope. I mean even as a freshman in college I understood game development enough to notice something was off. But hey, I got a refund who am I to judge someone who is putting blind faith in something that has barely moved in 4 years.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mikes

WTFO is questioning some of his recent life decisions (watch from 15:00 ) and starts getting emotional at 22:00

... honestly, this is hilarious

It's like the typical MMO enthusiasm to burnout phase distilled into a game that isn't even out yet. Except worse! When people are done with an MMO they usually just start to play another one theiy perceive as "better", one that "fixes all the issue" of  the one they quit ... but this ... by definition there isn't supposed to be anything better than SC ever ...  :nervous:

CR created a whole new stage of burnout.

Seriously  ... one might start to worry that if/when Star Citizen finally goes down ... or worse (?) releases and sucks as now expected, it may literally mean the end of some peoples lifes.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:43:38 am by Mikes »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You do have to wonder what will happen to the most devoted of the fans. It is pretty soul-crushing to have spent so much time, effort and money on something only to see it fail through no fault of your own.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
While Mass Effect 3 isn't a perfect comparison I think something akin to the retake Mass Effect campaign would be a real possibility if Star Citizen becomes a real failure. Either that or it's abandoned outright because of how painful the whole thing was.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Lorric

WTFosaurus is a piece of ****.  Also a drunk grabber of women. (hope the paywall isn't back up)
The wall is down.

This gif looks like something out of some slapstick comedy or something...

You do have to wonder what will happen to the most devoted of the fans. It is pretty soul-crushing to have spent so much time, effort and money on something only to see it fail through no fault of your own.

It genuinely worries me. I don't understand this strange devotion they have, and I don't know what the fallout will be. People joke about it but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are suicides. These people brought space games back. They showed the World that there's a market for them. They don't deserve this. Hopefully Star Citizen eventually succeeds or failing that that there's enough of them and enough strength in their community to support each other through it. And then ideally someone capable will come in and buy up CIG's assets and get the job done. Maybe it won't be THE BEST DAMN SPACE GAME EVER but hopefully it will be something well worth playing.

Offline Luis Dias

"I can't play 8 hours a day of Star Citizen anymore"

Just nuke the planet. It ain't worth to save it.

Offline Lorric

Btw, I thought it interesting that he said he had 2,000 Steam games (:eek2:), and he doesn't want to play any of them. What on Earth is so special about Star Citizen? Though he did specify he wants an MMO where he gets to start out from the beginning with all the other players and there aren't any others that interest him. So I suppose he wants to dedicate himself entirely to one single game, one MMO.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
"I can't play 8 hours a day of Star Citizen anymore"

Just nuke the planet. It ain't worth to save it.

The Emoji Movie was proof enough alone of that, this is just corroboration.

Also, sorry for the re-post of the reddit pizza topic; I don't follow this thread all that closely so I missed it before.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Aside from WTFOs meltdown, I'm genuinely surprised that CIG is delaying 3.0 past GamesCom.

I was pretty sure they would squeeze out something with the 3.0 label slapped on it, just to keep up the appearance of progress. Because I think in between coke sessions the Crobbler must realize that it will be embarrassing as **** for him... going up on that stage again, where he showed of the almost finished 3.0 one year ago, and it's still not released and he can only present flashy videos and fake demos again.

I'm looking forward to that train wreck of a presentation (according to the SA thread they will showcase some SQ42 things instead, new GIF material incoming, yay!)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I think given how rabidly devoted people are they at least think they can get away with it. Considering the apathetic people like me either left or didn't invest much anyways, they seem to be betting that the whales will tow the line (and why wouldn't they make that bet?). If miss-management hasn't effected their bottom line much why bother fixing anything? Why bother even pretending if you can expend fewer resources and less energy and still have the same income and devotees?

I've never heard of WTFO but this might be an alarm bell for CIG. Who knows though, the last 4 years of development are what they are.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You spin me right round
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm disappointed they didn't add the tune.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they probably just objected to having "All I know is that to me, you look like you're lots of fun." anywhere near Star Citizen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:51:56 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lorric

You spin me right round
Just another thing in a long, long list of things that they've put a spin on.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I am still unreasonably proud of this thread title.

You fooled me with it too, it is a really good one.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

This thread's title is the stuff of legends.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mikes

This thread's title is the stuff of legends.

The gift that keeps on giving!  :lol: :nod:

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
You spin me right round

Fly her apart then!