Author Topic: Shivans and loss  (Read 6854 times)

Offline CT27

We don't know that much about the Shivans, but do you think they experience feelings of loss?

Specifically I have two questions in this regard:

1-How do individual Shivan pilots feel when they got back from a mission and there are some 'empty seats' in the debriefing room for the squadron?

2-On a more strategic level, how do you think the Shivans felt when they learned the Sathanas was destroyed by the Colossus?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
I don't believe that Shivans experience any feelings. They are mostly cybernetic.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Well, that all depends on what your Shivan theory of choice is.

If Shivans aren't really individuals, if they're some kind of hive-mind or whatever, then they probably don't.

Even if Shivans are individuals, they would probably be raised in a highly regimented/de-individualized culture, which thinks nothing of throwing wave after wave of expendable strikecraft at the enemy.

Well, they had eighty more Saths in relatively quick response distance, so they probably weren't too concerned about losing one, one way or another.

Since Shivan culture is a big MYSTERIOUS blank slate, you could certainly have emotional Shivans in your headcanon/campaign. There's just no evidence that they feel emotions like we do.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Obviously they experience evil rage.

Offline Vrets

edit: my posts are stupid and I suck
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:19:57 pm by Vrets »

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I find it interesting that people assume a hive mind is hardened against loss. You can live through losing fingers, or even bits of your brain, but it's still something you'd probably try to avoid.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
A fair point! Orthogonally, I do not think there is much evidence for a Shivan hive mind. In fact I think the canonical material warns us not to settle for that cliche.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In fact I think the canonical material warns us not to settle for that cliche.
Citation needed
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Vrets

See the techroom entry on Shivans.

A leading hypothesis is the hive mind theory, arguing that Shivan society is broken down in specialized functions driven by a collective intelligence. The most convincing evidence supporting this theory is the behavior of Shivan forces following the destruction of the SD Lucifer, the turning point of the Great War. Other experts caution against attributing insectoid properties to the Shivans, regardless of their appearance and behavior.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Given that there is apparently a fairly significant gap between Sathanas 1 and Sathanas 2, but a much, much lesser gap between Sathanas 2 and Sathanas 80something, if anything the Shivans would seem prone to extreme overreaction.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:04:08 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

capella was actually a shivan funeral rite
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
They keep coming back for more despite Alpha 1's estimated 600:0 kill ratio so even if they don't enjoy it they're definitely used to it.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
They sent up the Sathanas fleet to engage Alpha 1! Shivans got enough of his crap destroying entire fleets. He was to meet them at Capella sun at dawn ((like the cowboys of old in the movies)), but he cowarded and ran away, so they blowed up the place!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
See the techroom entry on Shivans.

A leading hypothesis is the hive mind theory, arguing that Shivan society is broken down in specialized functions driven by a collective intelligence. The most convincing evidence supporting this theory is the behavior of Shivan forces following the destruction of the SD Lucifer, the turning point of the Great War. Other experts caution against attributing insectoid properties to the Shivans, regardless of their appearance and behavior.

The problem is this cites their appearance and behavior.

What we know of Shivan behavior in the missions is tactical, not strategic, not personal, not interpersonal. Given the huge variation in behavior among insects and how they approach the problem of killing or avoiding being killed, what we know cannot be described as having "insect-like behavior". Given that they're suggesting social insects with a hive-mind, this means it's likely they're referring to social or interpersonal behaviors that we have not seen.

There is something we don't know but the GTVA does, which leads their experts, even the ones that don't necessarily believe in a hive mind, to ascribe insect-like behavior to them. Without having the evidence for ourselves, and we know from this that we do not have all the available evidence, we can't judge the hypothesis being advanced.

With all due respect to Battuta, the final sentence is in a briefing for pilots (we're a pilot, that's why we know this) and could simply be included as an admonition not to think of individual Shivans as somehow less capable or dumber than you are. We really don't know what the breakdown of experts is or exactly how much the GTVA knows about how Shivans behave. It's possible that it's a great deal more than we expect if they managed to capture live Shivans during the Great War or exactly how many times Hallfight-esque boarding actions played out.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Also it is worth pointing out that insects don't have a hive mind.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Shivans being back from a mission?
You must be high on something, nothing survives Alpha 1.
el hombre vicio...

Offline CT27

So it's possible the Colossus winning against the first Sathanas didn't even get a "Oh...darn" light reaction from them?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Do you think Shivans have qualia?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
There's a comic with a couple shivans speculating on if Terrans are actually intelligent or not, but damned if I can find it.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline qwadtep

They eat the empty seats and poop out more Shivans.

Duh.