Author Topic: [RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334  (Read 35508 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
[RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334
Welcome to the Front Lines!

Frontlines 2334 is a 9 mission minicampaign set in during a Terran invasion of the Vasudan held Deneb system near the end of the Terran-Vasudan war.

Frontlines 2335 is a three mission microcampaign designed to teach you the basics of shieldless dogfighting. It is highly recommended that players start with this campaign.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pe243vummpi3b6v

Mirrored at Freespace Files: http://sectorgame.com/fsfiles/?dir=uploads/Projects%20-%20Campaigns%20-%20TCs/Campaigns/FreeSpace%20Port

Installation:

Ensure that you have the 3.4 version of the FS Port installed,  then simply pop the Frontlines2334 directory into you Freespace 2 directory, and then select it from the FSO Launcher.

Use the latest FSPort MediaVPs for the best looking game.

Frontlines was tested with the 3.6.12 MediaVPs and FSO 3.7.0 - it may or may not work with the 2014 MediaVPs.

Frontlines is balanced for medium difficulty.

Known issues:

The are are bad seams on the skyboxes in the cutscene mission. This is the result of FSO not carrying the "Force Clamp" flag when changing skyboxes with sexps. At present, this will have to wait for code changes to be fixed, unless anyone has an alternate proposal.

Potential Issues:

The mods and missions used in FL have been extensively tested individually, however time constraints have prevented the exhaustive testing of the campaign as a whole, although some testing has occurred. It is possible that as yet unnoticed errors may exist within these files. We strongly encourage anyone who encounters unusual behavior or bugs to let us know through this forum. We will endeavor to fix any errors and patch or re-release the campaign.

Credits:

See sticky thread or within the DL archive.

Have Fun!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:29:33 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: [RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334
*Dives on, finds file's not uploaded yet* Aaaargh, god give-eth god take-eth away! :lol:

But nah, congratulations to you and the team on the (soon-to-be) release Wolf. I shall look forward to this. :)

EDIT: Huzzah it's up! Been looking forward to this. Congrats again! :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:50:14 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline CKid

Damn it! I have to wait all weekend long before I can even think about playing this. Congrats on the release.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Lorric

Damn it! I have to wait all weekend long before I can even think about playing this. Congrats on the soon to be released.
It's not soon anymore. There's a link there now!

Rejoice everyone. A deadline was set for a HLP project to be released, and the project was released on the deadline.

Bring on the parades and fireworks! :D

Impressive work! There simply isn't enough Terra-Vasudan war mods around here even though it's a major subject in the Freespace lore. Cardinal Spear probably being the only one worth mentioning.

Will probably give more detailed feedback later, but right now I'm pretty busy for several days.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Finished a few missions and I must say I'm impressed. You guys captured FS1 feel perfectly, and vasudans are pretty chalenging enemy now. With dark, dull nebulae and Dan Wentz's music, this mod rocks!

I just noticed a few things for now. In the first mission of the minicampaign, there is RTB message marked as completed, even if we are still at the battlefield and there is no music in mission 2.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lorric

there is no music in mission 2.
Oh no, not that damn bug again... I thought that got fixed... :mad:

We had strange issues with getting the music to work in missions 2 and 3 of the minicampaign, but thought they were fixed... :sigh:

But thank you for the positive feedback! :)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Looks great! DLing now, hope it lives up to the hype :)
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Lorric

Looks great! DLing now, hope it lives up to the hype :)
Hey there InsaneBaron. Would it be too much to ask for you to give us one of your excellent reviews? I'd love that, you know what I think of your reviews. :)

I hope you like it.

Congrats on release, guys!  :yes:
Just played through 2335 and I'm about to start 2334. Quite liking the atmosphere you've made so far, though!
There are a few minor spelling and grammatical errors (particularly in the second mission's briefing, where the word "he" is used instead of "the" a few times), there is the aforementioned lack of music in mission 2, and the default squadron insignia is the Hammer of Light's, but otherwise great work!

Offline Axem

The horrendous oversight of a lack of highlight has been corrected.

(I will need to check this out fo realz later)

Offline Lorric

Thanks Axem! :)

Congrats on release, guys!  :yes:
Just played through 2335 and I'm about to start 2334. Quite liking the atmosphere you've made so far, though!
There are a few minor spelling and grammatical errors (particularly in the second mission's briefing, where the word "he" is used instead of "the" a few times), there is the aforementioned lack of music in mission 2, and the default squadron insignia is the Hammer of Light's, but otherwise great work!
Thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I looked into the 2nd mission to confirm the music bug is back earlier today (which it is) and also caught the grammar errors. It seems the actual briefing itself was changed right before release. Imo it's a positive change, but that's how they slipped through. I stamped out tons of grammar errors in this campaign over the course of testing it, dozens of them, but I never knew about this change and so never got to see them.

The Hammer of Light though for a squadron insignia, that's certainly amusing! :D

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Played through Frontlines 2335 using the latest nightly and the 2014 mediaVPs without any problems.  If you decide to try it don't forget the Unofficial patch for FSPort MediaVPs.  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86514.0

Enjoyed the campaign so far.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Lorric

Played through Frontlines 2335 using the latest nightly and the 2014 mediaVPs without any problems.  If you decide to try it don't forget the Unofficial patch for FSPort MediaVPs.  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86514.0

Thank you. That's good to know.

Also, something I should mention for everyone that isn't in the OP: The campaigns are designed to be played at medium difficulty.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I sat down to play this morning and realized I needed to update FSPort dependencies. FSPort aargh

Offline Luis Dias

So I played 2335 and half of 2334.

It seems a bit of unfinished at the margins. Things don't check out perfectly (you are told to "see what you can do about that science ship" after an event passes but you had already destroyed it... if you already found the relevant cargo, then the cargo counter should stop, detail stuff like this), and some english is a bit awkward ("Objectives: Eliminate Vasudan"). In the small cutscene at the end of 2335, a big subspace warp stops you from being able to read the white paragraph on screen... I would say that the big final entrance was too "freespace classic" and didn't really express the terror it should or could.

Ok, for the positives, I like the harshness of getting those cruisers down, there's a tactical crescendo that the player has to keep up, I especially enjoyed the one mission where you don't exactly fail, but it kinda hints you whether if you had a poor performance or a great one. It felt believable in its uncertainty of success, and felt good as a game mechanism of rewarding better play with "more" play, etc. I also noticed the cameos (the GTC Orff, the GTC Warspite, etc.). I'll finish it perhaps next week and see its end.

So, I've played through the first four missions of 2334, and the campaign has potential, but I agree with Luis in that it seems a bit unfinished in places (especially in some of the briefing language). After just playing through a few hours of vanilla FS1 (in all of its 640x480 glory!), I can say that it manages to recreate what made the original games interesting, playing a small part of a much larger war effort, without the predictability of  some of :v-old:'s mission design.

There were a few things I ran into, though.
In mission one, despite successful completion of all the objectives, failure music plays in the debriefing. Also, some kind of closure about what happens to the disabled Iota might add some polish, seeing as all the other missions do a fairly good job of wrapping up how the ships end up, adding to the impression that every asset counts in a punishing war.
After aiding the Hector in eliminating the cargo depot after the completion of the primary objectives, a second RTB directive is displayed.
In mission three, when the Bruiser's health drops below 50% or is destroyed, the Echo incorrectly identifies the vessel as the Corvus.
And in mission four, the Ripper discovers that it can also rip apart collision boxes.

Also, the starts of missions 2 and 3 are blindingly similar to a certain disco-themed campaign  :D
Still, I'm having fun so far! It's been too long since I've played a good FSPort campaign.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:30:37 pm by DireWolf »

Offline Lorric

Thank you Luis, DireWolf. Please keep that constructive feedback coming people. We hope to release a patch in the coming days to address these issues, so get this stuff in now! :nod:

It's great that the goal to give it that :v: feel is coming across so well. I always felt it was really strong with this campaign, and I'm glad you see it too. :)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Awesome. Will play this first thing tomorrow and leave feedback after that.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Lorric

Awesome. Will play this first thing tomorrow and leave feedback after that.
Well. Aren't we the lucky ones, since you normally play the oldest campaigns first and work your way up. I hope you enjoy it. :)