Author Topic: Mystic mushrooms spawn magic event  (Read 3728 times)

Offline neoterran

Mystic mushrooms spawn magic event
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/10/psychedelic.research.ap/index.html?section=cnn_topstories
NEW YORK (AP) -- People who took an illegal drug made from mushrooms reported profound mystical experiences that led to behavior changes lasting for weeks -- all part of an experiment that recalls the psychedelic '60s.

Many of the 36 volunteers rated their reaction to a single dose of the drug, called psilocybin, as one of the most meaningful or spiritually significant experiences of their lives. Some compared it to the birth of a child or the death of a parent.

Such comments "just seemed unbelievable," said Roland Griffiths of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, the study's lead author.

But don't try this at home, he warned. "Absolutely don't."

Almost a third of the research participants found the drug experience frightening even in the very controlled setting. That suggests people experimenting with the illicit drug on their own could be harmed, Griffiths said.

Viewed by some as a landmark, the study is one of the few rigorous looks in the past 40 years at a hallucinogen's effects. The researchers suggest the drug someday may help drug addicts kick their habit or aid terminally ill patients struggling with anxiety and depression.

It may also provide a way to study what happens in the brain during intense spiritual experiences, the scientists said.

Funded in part by the federal government, the research was published online Tuesday by the journal Psychopharmacology.

Psilocybin has been used for centuries in religious practices, and its ability to produce a mystical experience is no surprise. But the new work demonstrates it more clearly than before, Griffiths said.

Even two months after taking the drug, pronounced SILL-oh-SY-bin, most of the volunteers said the experience had changed them in beneficial ways, such as making them more compassionate, loving, optimistic and patient. Family members and friends said they noticed a difference, too.

Charles Schuster, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, and a former director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, called the work a landmark.

"I believe this is one of the most rigorously well-controlled studies ever done" to evaluate psilocybin or similar substances for their potential to increase self-awareness and a sense of spirituality, he said. He did not participate in the research.

There's more at the link.

I am finally very glad to see some serious research being carried on psychadelic drugs. I have had some very profound experiences myself, including one after an accidental overdose (about 50 doses) of LSD that involved my death and rebirth. It was quite scary at times and at other times it was amazing. I really feel like those drugs can offer a glimpse into your own psyche that is extremely important.

Discuss.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Re: Mystic mushrooms spawn magic event
drugs are bad for you mkay
I hate My signature!

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I don't use drugs. There's too much **** that goes on in my head already. I fear that drugs would amplify it and thus make me a danger to myself.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Alcohol's useful when I need to shut down my brain for a while. Caffeine's useful when I've got a lot to do overnight or when I need to wake up early.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm still part ADHD, so i don't need any of thoes things.   And in fact it might have a reverse effect on me.... who knows....

{ahem}...Anyhow, Ashrak's right,..... drugs bad
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I don't use drugs. There's too much **** that goes on in my head already. I fear that drugs would amplify it and thus make me a danger to myself.
At the risk of not putting much effort into this comment: Ditto.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
*hums Mario theme*

I see your Super Mario Brothers theme and raise you a Katamari Damacy intro song.

But... who in their right mind would do something like this? In anycase...

drugs are bad for you mkay

Kthxbai.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I'll also have to agree with that statement.  My brain's pretty scattered about as it is.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
My parents did enough drugs before I was born, thank you very much. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Ooooh, that explains it.

:p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
:wtf:

Drugs give baby googly eyes, as we see above.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, just goes to show yet another aspect of  the next generation up from 'yours' (if you're aged 16-21ish). Theres all this thing about the 'violent Youth of today' etc, but in truth, your parents' generation took a damn site more drugs and were more violent :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Heh, just goes to show yet another aspect of  the next generation up from 'yours' (if you're aged 16-21ish). Theres all this thing about the 'violent Youth of today' etc, but in truth, your parents' generation took a damn site more drugs and were more violent :)

Not if it was the happy wacky tobaccy, mind.

Maaaaaaaaan.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: True, then they couldn't be arsed to do anything ;)

Offline neoterran

Well, i've learned that not a lot of people play freespace that have experimented with chemicals...  :doubt:

Oh well, what do they say ? "A nods as good as a wink to a blind man"
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline watsisname

I saw my neighbor high on shrooms once.  He came outside in the middle of the night, and started babbling things like '"Duuuuude.... DUUUUUDE!  It's like... EVERYTHING is CONNECTED!"  Then he spent about 40 minutes staring at the sky and making strange gestures.  Later he went out for a drive with a friend of his, and told me afterward that he had no idea where they ended up, but they kept seeing churches everywhere.  :shaking:

Ah, that must've been fun.

:nervous:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:30:48 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL When I was younger, I was far from sweet and innocent, but then, at 33, I'm not quite sure which generation I fit into :nervous:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Well, my dad was a teacher at a dojo, so......