Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 596325 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
That made me laugh way too hard. I'd probably be dead if I ate $150 million in food even in the amount of time CRoberts has been in development. It's a miracle he's alive at this point and he's not decomposing on the **** pile.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hell with a team of 6 people and 2 voice actors I managed to release a game in 9 months as part of my senior year of college. The game has its fair share of design issues and looks like a student project but it's complete, working, and reasonably stable.

Linky?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I vaguely remember posting a link a year ago but here it is again:

https://inure.itch.io/inure

I'll warn you that we never ironed out all the performance issues because of how many projectiles the game uses. Also let me know if you get stuck with the tutorial. We didn't have enough time to do many revisions so actually getting into the rest of the game is really poorly explained. Hope it's not too unplayable!

Also I don't know what OS you're on but there's a mouse scaling bug with the Mac version and I don't know if the same bug is in the Linux version (thanks Unity).

One last thing, there are no loading screens (ie the game acts like Freespace when navigating the main menu). Once you get past the splash screen the game will take a while to load the menu. I can spin you quite the story about why that is if you want.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
A gold nugget from the massive stream of posts that is the SA thread:

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Gamescom live stream 3.0 presentation is a total disaster, what a meltdown
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
My sides hurt from laughing. First the thing crashes in the middle of the presentation, and now their little buggy clipped through the ramp and all wheels fell off. It's a perfect analogy of the whole project.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Quite.

Offline Axem

That, uh. Livestream, um, was a THING. But you, uh, know actually, that, er, livestreams. They don't always go, you know, the way that you might like, but uh, you could see they tried, and uh, that was, er...

*Twisty hands*

But its all pre-alpha, and uh you know, you just expect, er, those things to happens. I think that three-one will be a lot more, rock stable you might say, and really, uh, that's our ah, goal.

*Sits down in a chair*

*Chair crashes*

*Fires Paul*

~Rest In Peace~
Melissa
Crushed by a ramp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
My sides hurt from laughing. First the thing crashes in the middle of the presentation, and now their little buggy clipped through the ramp and all wheels fell off. It's a perfect analogy of the whole project.

Got a link to the highlights? I don't want to sit through all the waffle.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Got a link to the highlights? I don't want to sit through all the waffle.

Copy/pasted from SA:

BYE MOON!: https://clips.twitch.tv/HorribleThankfulElkBrainSlug
STAR CITIZEN IS NOT RESPONDING: https://clips.twitch.tv/StormyObservantBeeM4xHeh
PUT HER DOWN: https://clips.twitch.tv/WittyRichOrangeBloodTrail

RAMP FAIL:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ConfidentDreamyEchidnaJonCarnage

As a bonus, here's Chris yelling not to show the loading screen: https://clips.twitch.tv/SoftDeterminedRaisinPupper

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:08:05 am by Col. Fishguts »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Here's a summary from a brave SA commando who sat through the whole thing:

* Began with a 45min delay + 3 or 4 commercials for chariots
* New features (facial recognition, voice stuff) introduced then promptly revealed to be coming after 3.0, not with it
* After warping to the quest destination, the pilot's client crashed. The other two players were still in the ship but couldn't interact with it
* After 10 minutes of awkward troubleshooting they eventually had to restart. Cue another 15-20 minutes of mostly silence and long shots of a black room and an increasingly angry Chris as the demo is rebooted
* Because the demo was nearly 100% scripted, they had to do everything all over again leading up to the warp crash
* this included the world's worst RP of all time. yes, they still repeated the RP in the 2nd attempt
* They get to the planet. it's janky. a ton of pop-in and missing models. We all begin to notice that the lighting / colors for each player (they keep switching cameras) is completely different. It's suggested that even the time of day for players is different
* They find the quest object - a ship's black box which turned out to be a red cube that was just laying in a random spot on the floor
* Then they were ambushed, surprising nobody
* They shot the bad guy's ship out of the air from their moon rover, but they clearly weren't even aiming at the guy and it was a really embarrassing moment of scripting
* An Idris comes to save them, and jitter-janks its way to the surface. It extends a ramp for the rover to climb, and the entire thread knew at once it was going to end in disaster. It did. After many failed attempts the rover clipped through the ramp and exploded. The wheels literally fell off and rolled toward the camera, and I very nearly blacked out in laughter
* also the red black box was aboard the rover but nobody acknowledged the mission was a failure
* Sometime after this we cut to a commercial for an RSI-branded webcam. Lots of scare tactics to make you think your existing webcam lacks the horsepower to handle Star Citizen's new facial stuff
* Later, the Idris goes to space and is ambushed a 2nd time, surprising nobody for a 2nd time
* An epic space battle ensues as two goliaths fight through 6-7fps space and jitter-jank into one another. One explodes
* It's the end of the demo. Chris then has a sudden and definitely not scripted idea - let's let the goliaths fight again, but this time the bad guy could win!
* It's another 20 minutes waiting for the really obviously fake and scripted demo to spin up. It's awkward silence. Sandi wanders on stage in her weird clown outfit to give Chris a rum and coke
* The epic space battle begins anew. I cannot notice a single difference, other than a fighter bounces off the hull of the Idris like a Loony Toons cartoon, and the idris rams the bad guy who explodes in 6-7fps fashion. More jitter-jank

Then Chris ends the presentation prematurely before being reminded that the employees are coming out to say goodbye. He asks them to take a bow. They do so. that's it

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
There was a five minute windows when this whole thing began where I "might" have gone for the Billy basics minimum backer package.

That soon passed.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
>facial recognition

:nono:

Are we shipping mocap studios with the game now?

Also the whole ramp thing reminds me of Bungie talking about how making the warthog go faster in Halo 3 would cause certain jumps to kill everyone in it.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mikes

Well it said "Caution" on the ramp!!!!

But it should say "Caution" before it lets you back the project as well. :-P

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Yeah, that is the typical CRoberts-Megalomania.

For me it is still a surprise that after CRoberts left they were able to produce a Freelancer back then, that was playable somehow ^^.
If you remember it's development history... yeah it kind looked like this before he left.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Disregarding all of the smoke and mirrors, all of the jankiness, wank, bugs and bull****. Just looking at the actual 'gameplay' that was put on display here.
Did anyone actually think this looked like fun?. I mean, this is the best they could display, a multiple timed rehearsed scripted experience. And it was full of tedium. Even when doing their WR attempt speedrun, it still took them a good 20 minutes to get to their destination, followed by 5 minutes of utterly unfun jittery combat.

Even if all of this worked exactly as they had hoped, and it wasnt all smoke and scripted mirrors. I feel like the game itself just wouldn't be any fun at all to play. I can imagine this being a blast for the farm simulator crowd though...

Also I think the game just looks, from a visual graphical point of view, utterly wank. There are absolutely no colors to be found anywhere in the world. The gun sound effects are still pew pew, they sound like ****. The gun weapon effects look awful, half the time I couldn't even see what and where they were shooting at. Most of the vehicle models have these really big goofy looking windows on the front, and still somehow manage to have kind of awful visibility from the inside. When they put up the big fleet fight, I couldn't tell what the **** was going on, part of that was the amazing slide show of a framerate, the other part was that the effects and everything just do such a terrible job of telling a visual story.
Freespace 2's retail capital shipcombat just looks better by leaps and bounds.
And it honestly made me feel proud of WoD's combat, I generally tend to be a bit more humble, about my own work but ****damn I feel like WoD looks like a damn masterpiece compared to starcitizen's excuse of space combat.

And since they still dont have working A.I., despite chris' claims that it'll be the most subsumption ai ever created, anyone with a miniscule amount of game development knowledge can tell that SQ42 isn't anywhere close to being done. Cause how the **** are you going to design and script missions when you have no working A.I.. Anyone who ever opened fred and tried to make a mission should be able to tell this. Set all the A.I. fighters in the mission to 'play dead', see how well you can time the mission flow, how easily you can test your sexps' working.
Protip, you can't.
This project is hosed in so many ways lol.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Disregarding all of the smoke and mirrors, all of the jankiness, wank, bugs and bull****. Just looking at the actual 'gameplay' that was put on display here.
Did anyone actually think this looked like fun?. I mean, this is the best they could display, a multiple timed rehearsed scripted experience. And it was full of tedium. Even when doing their WR attempt speedrun, it still took them a good 20 minutes to get to their destination, followed by 5 minutes of utterly unfun jittery combat.

For all the justified criticism a game like Mass Effect Andromeda got at launch, it seems like an infinitely more accomplished game than anything I've seen out of Mr "I'm doing crowdfunding so I don't have to deal with EA anymore" Roberts so-called development studio.

Even if all of this worked exactly as they had hoped, and it wasnt all smoke and scripted mirrors. I feel like the game itself just wouldn't be any fun at all to play. I can imagine this being a blast for the farm simulator crowd though...

Also I think the game just looks, from a visual graphical point of view, utterly wank. There are absolutely no colors to be found anywhere in the world. The gun sound effects are still pew pew, they sound like ****. The gun weapon effects look awful, half the time I couldn't even see what and where they were shooting at. Most of the vehicle models have these really big goofy looking windows on the front, and still somehow manage to have kind of awful visibility from the inside. When they put up the big fleet fight, I couldn't tell what the **** was going on, part of that was the amazing slide show of a framerate, the other part was that the effects and everything just do such a terrible job of telling a visual story.
Freespace 2's retail capital shipcombat just looks better by leaps and bounds.
And it honestly made me feel proud of WoD's combat, I generally tend to be a bit more humble, about my own work but ****damn I feel like WoD looks like a damn masterpiece compared to starcitizen's excuse of space combat.

You see, your mistake was to continually ask yourself "is this fun to do". If you hadn't done that, think of all the jpg money you could be swimming in!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
****, is it too late to still change my ways? I wanna be rich too
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns