Author Topic: Good Sci Fi Space battle movies  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Good Sci Fi Space battle movies
Im looking for some really kickass sci-fi big war/battle movies, unfortunately, that type of sci fi movie is in short supply as i see it.

All i can think of are:

Wing Commander
Star Wars
Star Trek
Star Ship Troopers
Fifth Element
Battlefield Earth
Titan A.E.

Please sudgest any movies you have seen, but not any old movies like before 1990, unless they have exceptionally good special  effects for that time. (ie: Star Wars) Better the effects, the more id be intrested.

Story line and acting is not as much as a factor, because im buying this movies to watch the special effects and study them, as i aspire to make them someday. Also looking at space ship designs inspires me, and gives me ideas, also i just love looking at awesome designs of ships and watching things blow up in the most spectacular of ways.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 03:09:37 pm by 1143 »
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Raptor

Heres my suggestions:

Battlestar Galatica
I'm not sure if it counts as a movie, the copy I have is the length of one, I think it's classifed as a pilot episode for series.

But the SFX are pretty much the same as for original Star Wars.  Heck, pretty much the same people worked on both, including model makers;).  The Viper is a classic design:D.

Also, look up Buck Rogers, made by the same peope who did BSG, so simular level of SFX.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Do animated titles count?

If they do I suggest the following:

'Macross: Do You Remember Love?' and 'Macross Zero' - you just can't get enough seeing what a Veritech can do.

Anything from the Universal Century in the Mobile Suit Gundam saga - MS Gundam 0083 is probably the best since it has a lot of space warfare.

Though the above two are more mecha than ships. For ships I suggest the following:

Big Wars
Crest of the Stars
Gunbuster
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (I know very cheesy title, but an actually mature film)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

I just got done seeing Farewell Yamato (released in Japan in 1983) One of the movies from the Spcae battleship Yamato storylines.  We only got to see it as Starblazers in the US back int eh 70's so we also missed out on the Bolar Wars (third series) as they nly showed the Iscandar, and Comet Empire stories AFAIK and NONW of the movies. I got the pilot for the anime Yamato 2250 but it SUCKS dead frozen goats! A torrent link I stumbled upon had this movie so I tried it and man I wasn't dissapointed!

If you never seen Yamato then it is a must see! (even if you missed the earlier stories adn explanations of the characters and what their relations are you still get the point!) The only bad point was that this was the first time I heard them referred to in the Japanese names and it was distracting, but by the end I got over it. (yeah it is subtitled but never let that stop you from seeing a GOOD film!).

20 years ago I saw Char's Counter attack (Gundam) 2 hours in Japanese only NO SUBTILES AT ALL! that was rough but WORTH IT!!! Makes Gundams today look pathetic!

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes was good but very long and boring to me, still I saw it once.

My youth in Arcadia (vengence of the space pirate) HARLOCK is excellent as is the semi sequel Cosmic Warrior Zero (I posted pics of the Khariyu (SP?) not too long ago in the hopes someone would get inspired to make her!

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (G-force/battle of the planets) often shows the enemy using funky ships that could be worth looking at since their base is in another galaxy.

Macross Plus, Macross 7 and Macross Zero are also excellent not only for fighter designs (love the veritechs!) But also for some capships.

Big wars or Veus wars also had some spaceships in it.

Gundam (stardust memory) 0080? or 0083? had massive amounts of ships in it despite being about the mecha. Plus that one episode of the Naval Review (Asteroid Base with all the cap ships lined up like idiots) was priceless as ONE mecha wiped out DOZENS of capships with a well placed super nuke! (GO MECHA!)

If I think of more I will post again... BTW THE LAST STARFIGHTER!!!!!!!! (playing the theme now....!!!! WOOHOO!)
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Flaser
Do animated titles count?

If they do I suggest the following:

'Macross: Do You Remember Love?' and 'Macross Zero' - you just can't get enough seeing what a Veritech can do.

Anything from the Universal Century in the Mobile Suit Gundam saga - MS Gundam 0083 is probably the best since it has a lot of space warfare.

Though the above two are more mecha than ships. For ships I suggest the following:

Big Wars
Crest of the Stars
Gunbuster
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (I know very cheesy title, but an actually mature film)

One title: Vandread
The final battle shown on the last two episodes completly puts the battle of Endor to shame, in every aspect :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Anaz

how about any of the B5 movies? Some of them had some pretty kick-ass space combat scenes...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Well quite a thrown off cousin but Last Exile had some good ship designs too.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the most well conducted space battle ever:

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. The battle of the mutara nebula between Kirds Enterprise and Khans Reliant.

Classic.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Ahem... The Battle For Peace, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Edit: For the trek ignorant - it's when Kirk and Sulu on the Enterprise and Excelsior go up against a Bird of Prey that can fire while cloaked, and which might i add seems to pack a more than typical punch for a ship her size.

"The thing's gotta have a tail pipe(!)"
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Another star trek movie: Star Trek: Nemesis

The Scimitar kicks ASS!
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline diamondgeezer

I suggest, Mr Krackers, that you investigate Space: Above and Beyond. Not really capital ship enagements, but lots ofl ovely fighter-level combat and some majorl kick-arse design. There are DVD sets out there if you look hard enough

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I thought the best graphics in a Sci-Fi movie was Final Fantasy but, It had no space battles... But, it had potential to be a very powerful contender.  For some reason I have always pictured Final Fantasy graphics is what a Freespace Movie would look like.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

You had to mention a FreeSpace movie diden't ya!!!:(  Alas, the possiblities are endless....and not a one of em ever to be realizied!!!!:mad:
Oh,...uh....anyways, one of my all time faves is the sequence from Starship Troopers....although that was more of a massacre then an actual battle. And I also (too) really loved the space battle from Star Treak II...as it was more brains than brawn.
Knowledge is the light in this dark tunnel of life.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
What the hell is your problem ??
PMS somewhere else
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Be nice JDJ. Doesn't sound like he was having a go at you so much as just *****ing in general that there wouldn't be an FS movie. Can't say I disagree with him.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Flaser
Well quite a thrown off cousin but Last Exile had some good ship designs too.

heh, well, technically, the Grand Stream is space ;)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Good Sci Fi Space battle movies
Originally posted by Krackers87
Battlefield Earth

GAAAAAAAHHHHH! :shaking:
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock