Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2672506 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: A celebration of Freespace

in b4 "that's not realistic, there is no dust in space!"
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Obligatory "f*uck realism".
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I don't care what it is or isn't, other than it looking awesome.

Offline Kolgena

Looks great.

Too bad the effect fades with camera angle. Makes it somewhat uglier in motion.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

lies, nebulas are dust <3
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Not to mention you would expect some dust in a roid field that dense
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Actually!

Nebulas are typically gaseous and have very very low density (they only appear "dense" in comparison to empty space because they are ginormous and often not only reflective, but emissive), but there is absolutely no reason why there couldn't be dust in space. There are several examples of that happening; Saturn's rings would be a perfect example. The gas jets expelling matter from comets certainly have a lot of dust in them as well as the comet basically disintegrates in the solar heat.

Asteroids are a tougher dust source to imagine. However, if an asteroid gets hits by another one it'll definitely puff up a cloud of particles with variable grain size. It's easily conceivable that an asteroid hit by another could develop a dust cloud orbiting it. If the velocity of the particles in the cloud doesn't exceed the escape velocity of the asteroid, the dust cloud will just keep orbiting. Dust can also originate from human activity in the vicinity. Ice debris from coolant leaks or waste dumps could stick around an asteroid large enough. If spacesuits or small utility tugs use pressurezed gas jets for maneuvering rather than more high-powered hypergolic thrusters with a lot more ejection velocity, that gas could potentially stick around the asteroid for a while. Or - if there's mining activity at the asteroid, explosives and other such efforts will definitely produce dust. Seismic shocks could potentially throw regolith dust upward from the surface of the entire asteroid!

The speeds of the particles would thus be very low, and the collisions of particles could either result in particles bouncing off from each other, or clumping together to form larger particles - that would depend on the composition of the particles. Ferromagnetic particles would probably clump together by magnetic field alignment alone. Don't know how rock dust (silicate or some other) would behave. A mix of rock and water ice particles would probably be the most interesting, as you might get some small amount of static electricity in the dust cloud.

Regardless, this type of dust clouds would be very short term indeed in most cases, especially in the inner solar system. The solar wind will push such dust away relatively fast. However, further in the solar system, such dust and gas clouds can last for a long time and grow to quite formidable sizes. This type of dust/gas atmosphere is called a coma, and it should be no surprise that this is how comets have gained their moniker. Comets can in fact have huge comas while they are approaching the Sun. At the distance of Mars orbit (1.5 AU or so) the solar wind starts to really stretch it and form a tail, and by doing this also reduces the diameter of the coma.

But yeah, up there in outer solar system, things can have a fairly static and large coma as long as there's some activity to replenish the small amount lost to solar wind. Dust is less sensitive to solar wind than gas is, but it will eventually waste away when exposed to the solar wind. However, the asteroids might also actually be moons of a gas giant, in which case their dust halo would be protected by the magnetic field of the larger planet.

As far as the scale of things goes: The Great Comet of 1882 initially had a coma that was roughly the size of Sun.

Whether or not the dust from such natural events would be dense enough to form crepuscular lighting effects is a different matter but for the sake of art I'm willing to ignore that and just say that there was some event that caused the dust cloud to be dense enough, because it's plausible enough and that image is gorgeous. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
*Applauds*
Well done sir
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NeonShivan

Actually!

Nebulas are typically gaseous and have very very low density (they only appear "dense" in comparison to empty space because they are ginormous and often not only reflective, but emissive), but there is absolutely no reason why there couldn't be dust in space. There are several examples of that happening; Saturn's rings would be a perfect example. The gas jets expelling matter from comets certainly have a lot of dust in them as well as the comet basically disintegrates in the solar heat.

Asteroids are a tougher dust source to imagine. However, if an asteroid gets hits by another one it'll definitely puff up a cloud of particles with variable grain size. It's easily conceivable that an asteroid hit by another could develop a dust cloud orbiting it. If the velocity of the particles in the cloud doesn't exceed the escape velocity of the asteroid, the dust cloud will just keep orbiting. Dust can also originate from human activity in the vicinity. Ice debris from coolant leaks or waste dumps could stick around an asteroid large enough. If spacesuits or small utility tugs use pressurezed gas jets for maneuvering rather than more high-powered hypergolic thrusters with a lot more ejection velocity, that gas could potentially stick around the asteroid for a while. Or - if there's mining activity at the asteroid, explosives and other such efforts will definitely produce dust. Seismic shocks could potentially throw regolith dust upward from the surface of the entire asteroid!

The speeds of the particles would thus be very low, and the collisions of particles could either result in particles bouncing off from each other, or clumping together to form larger particles - that would depend on the composition of the particles. Ferromagnetic particles would probably clump together by magnetic field alignment alone. Don't know how rock dust (silicate or some other) would behave. A mix of rock and water ice particles would probably be the most interesting, as you might get some small amount of static electricity in the dust cloud.

Regardless, this type of dust clouds would be very short term indeed in most cases, especially in the inner solar system. The solar wind will push such dust away relatively fast. However, further in the solar system, such dust and gas clouds can last for a long time and grow to quite formidable sizes. This type of dust/gas atmosphere is called a coma, and it should be no surprise that this is how comets have gained their moniker. Comets can in fact have huge comas while they are approaching the Sun. At the distance of Mars orbit (1.5 AU or so) the solar wind starts to really stretch it and form a tail, and by doing this also reduces the diameter of the coma.

But yeah, up there in outer solar system, things can have a fairly static and large coma as long as there's some activity to replenish the small amount lost to solar wind. Dust is less sensitive to solar wind than gas is, but it will eventually waste away when exposed to the solar wind. However, the asteroids might also actually be moons of a gas giant, in which case their dust halo would be protected by the magnetic field of the larger planet.

As far as the scale of things goes: The Great Comet of 1882 initially had a coma that was roughly the size of Sun.

Whether or not the dust from such natural events would be dense enough to form crepuscular lighting effects is a different matter but for the sake of art I'm willing to ignore that and just say that there was some event that caused the dust cloud to be dense enough, because it's plausible enough and that image is gorgeous. :p

Mkay, right...well then, the only logical reason there'd be dust in space is a asteroid belt being mined to death: Exhibit A: Gehenna from Homeworld 2
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Actually, I thought that would make a nice supernova.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Addendum: While most nebulas are gaseous, there are also dust coulds. Those appear typically as dark nebulas that obscure the stuff behind them.

However, nebular dust creating crepuscular lighting effects has another problem: The dust clouds appear in the densest, coldest regions of nebulas, and a star igniting or traversing nearby would both heat the nebula, dispersing the dense dust nebula, as well as exert solar wind pressure on it. So a presence of a local light source could be hard to establish.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Space dust, god rays, and bugs aside it's time to solve a mystery

What heinous acts is Andrew up to now!?!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline NeonShivan

A colony in Sirius containing about half a million souls and is in orbit around a massive orange tinted gas giant.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Kolgena

I don't like how the source(s) of light for the gas giant and the moon are different >.>

(Then again, most skyboxes in freespace have planets/moons/whatever lit in impossible ways)

Offline NeonShivan

I don't like how the source(s) of light for the gas giant and the moon are different >.>

(Then again, most skyboxes in freespace have planets/moons/whatever lit in impossible ways)

I'll agree, the lighting isn't all that great but eh at the time I thought it look alright.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Kolgena

It's not your fault really. Short of manually painting shadows into the planet bitmaps with photoshop or something, there isn't anything you can really do.

Otherwise, it looks pretty cool.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Bothers me EVERY TIME.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Okay let's try this again...

My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
VLS launchers? Looks nice. Is this from any specified mod?

And something from me:

Testing weapons for GTA, from Ultima Cena project [based on weapons from Project Outreach], and by the way - showcase of GTACa Nibelheim attack carrier. I love that ship :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline NeonShivan

looken good but those don't like VLS </3

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh