Author Topic: HTL Lucifer RELEASE  (Read 49849 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
First posted on SectorGame here during HLP's self imposed holiday ;)
Oh, and there's been a minor bug fix since then, so redownload if you don't want the rear missile launcher to be pitch black.

W00t! At loooong last, I've finished the lucy. It's been far too long comming, since it really should have been done months ago with the first pack release, but finishing school and the HSC put a stop to that.

============ Lucifer =============

Credits: Used Lightspeeds Lucifer textures as a base for this merged one. All else by me, and thanks to DaBrain for texture format help. :)

^This is a bit of an old pic now, but I'm too lazy and tired to get a better one. The main difference anyway is that this one has no turrets, and is also lacking the claw thingies on the part behind the arms.

Piccy 2
Old & New Comparison 1
Old & New Comparison 2
Old & New Comparison 3

Ok, there are two versions of this as follows:

1) Highest Detail
=> 12 304 polys, 2048x2048 res texture (high detail turrets :\ )
Download - 6 megs
This is a seriously high detail version, though it should run pretty smoothly when you consider that there will only be one of them at a time, all turrets are using the main map which will already be in memory, and it doesn't have a lot of them anyway.
If however you do find it's not running well, and you don't want to use the low detail version, CLICK HERE for a small (605kb) zip containing a half size glow, shine and debris map.

2) Medium Detail
=> 4613 polys, 1024x1024 res texture
Removed - There's no real point to these medium detail versions anymore. Just halve the res of the textures instead.
This is for those peeps whose machines may have a bit of trouble keeping up. Visually, there's not all that much difference, but the smaller texture set will be the main advantage in terms of performance here. :)

It's also worth mentioning that these Lucifer varients have two additional turrets - the weird 4 claw thingies on the sides. We're pretty sure these are intended to be what the Lucy uses to pummel hapless planets like VPrime to scrap with as opposed to the arm guns, which appear to be more of an anti-ship weapon.
Anyway, to activate them, insert:

$Subsystem: turret18,0.5,0.5
    $Default PBanks: ( "InsertWeaponHere" )
$Subsystem: turret19,0.5,0.5
    $Default PBanks: ( "InsertWeaponHere" )

to the Lucifers table entry at the end of the turret, and before the subsystems. (If you are unsure, just ask.)
===================================

Now, I already released this here on HLP......but it got about 4 or so replys, so I'll try again in this thread in an attempt to raise cargo-awareness. ;)

============ TC-Tri =============

Credits: Original model built by Black Wolf, model modifications, texture and rest by me.

Piccy 2
Old & New Comparison

Three versions of the box as follows:

1) Highest Detail
=> 3420 polys, 2048x2048 res texture
Download - 5.6 megs
Yes, this is an insane level of detail for a glorified box, but it's a box the size of a cruiser!

2) Medium Detail
=> 3420 polys, 1024x1024 res texture (same model, smaller texture)
Removed - There's no real point to these medium detail versions anymore. Just halve the res of the textures instead.
Here's a more sane version

3) Tiled Monstrosity
=> 1661 polys, 1024x1024 res texture
Removed - There's _REALLY_ no point in having this one. Low detail AND hideous.
I hate this version, and bear no responsability for any meals you loose whenever you look at it. :p (yes - I really hate texture tiling)

Both the UV mapped versions have nameplates with a blank template included. The tiled version doesn't because I forgot. :)
===================================

Let me know of any bugs and I'll do my best to fix em. If a texture Guru wants to go over the textures and beautify them, go ahead! Other than that, enjoy!

Oh, and next on my todo list is the Arcadia, which I've now started: Piccy!..... Where that piccy is of!
followed by the Poesiodon, so nobody nick em! Or else! :p
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:06:57 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Great work. I'm sorry I kinda gave up working on the Lucifer textures.

Shivan maps are a lot more complicated for me than Terran maps are. And the Lucifer is just too big. I've completed ~50% though. Maybe I'll continiue after learning a few more techniques.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline starfox

Awesome work on the Lucifer, Though I wonder why glowmaps aren't working. Every other ship works just fine.
Something about the Lucy itself though...it looks looks like some "transformer ship" to me. With its front arms, horns and other joint like features, it looks to me as if it could change configuration to some other model. Maybe it's just me though...

I always like the idea in Spaceballs:
Col. Sandurz:
"- Spaceball one has now become...
drum, drum, drum, drum, drum...Megamaid

Anyway, beautiful job on the Lucy, looking forward to see HTL Arcadia !!!
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I think those side turrets should be (heavy) beam cannons. Atleast IIRC in FS2 intro Lucifer blast GTD Legion into a burning wreck with just one of the beams fired from the four clawed thingye. But as it may harm some earlier campaings (Derelict?) it might not be reasonable to add those to the ships.tbl entry but rather use tbms for it. Like so:

lucifer-shp.tbm
----file start----
#Ship Classes
$Name: SD Lucifer
+nocreate
$Subsystem: turret18,0.5,0.5
    $Default PBanks: ( "SRed" )
$Subsystem: turret19,0.5,0.5
    $Default PBanks: ( "SRed" )
#End
---end of file---
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Awesome work on the Lucifer, Though I wonder why glowmaps aren't working. Every other ship works just fine.
Something about the Lucy itself though...it looks looks like some "transformer ship" to me. With its front arms, horns and other joint like features, it looks to me as if it could change configuration to some other model. Maybe it's just me though...

I always like the idea in Spaceballs:
Col. Sandurz:
"- Spaceball one has now become...
drum, drum, drum, drum, drum...Megamaid

Anyway, beautiful job on the Lucy, looking forward to see HTL Arcadia !!!

You're playing Derelict aren't you?
Then just wait and play along, it will be worth it.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline starfox

Yes, I played Derelict for a while, couldn't get very far due to the SEXP errors.
Those missing glows keep bothering me, anyone else has the same problem ?
I put all the other lucy-files in the maps folder, except the .POF-file
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Quote from: DaBrain
Great work. I'm sorry I kinda gave up working on the Lucifer textures.

Shivan maps are a lot more complicated for me than Terran maps are. And the Lucifer is just too big. I've completed ~50% though. Maybe I'll continiue after learning a few more techniques.
Errr whoops - I completely forgot about that sorry. :\ But no worries - I'm sure it'll be ten times better than the current ones. :D
Quote from: starfox
Yes, I played Derelict for a while, couldn't get very far due to the SEXP errors.
Those missing glows keep bothering me, anyone else has the same problem ?
I put all the other lucy-files in the maps folder, except the .POF-file
Does it have glowmaps in the techroom? If still not, do other ships have their glows on at the same time? If so, uh, can you open the glowmaps themselves? If not (corrupt), try redownloading it (which version did you d/l btw?), and if so, I'm out of ideas and if so's. :\
Have you double checked that the glowmap is actually in the maps folder?
Quote from: Wanderer
I think those side turrets should be (heavy) beam cannons. Atleast IIRC in FS2 intro Lucifer blast GTD Legion into a burning wreck with just one of the beams fired from the four clawed thingye.
Actually, there's a fair bit of evidence suggesting the things are intended to be the planet pounders we see hit Vasuda Prime, so that's what I have them as:

Piccy 2
Piccy 3

If anyone wants them (especially if you want to improve them ;) ), here: http://www.freewebs.com/twisted-infinities-va/HTL-Lucifer/LucyBombardmentBeamTable.htm
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline starfox

All the other ships do have their glowmaps working, I can't see Lucy's glowmaps in either shiplab or techroom. I downloaded the one with highest detail, and I double checked, glowmap is in maps-folder.

BTW, how do you open .dds files properly, which program is preferable ?
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh yes, if anyone is interested in rendering it for whatever reason, here's a not-particularly-good-but-decent-enough bumpmap: http://webzoom.freewebs.com/twisted-infinities-va/HTL-Lucifer/Lucifer-HTL_BUMP.jpg

Anyway, to view dds as thumbnails in explorer: http://download.nvidia.com/developer/NVTextureSuite/wtv.zip and/or http://download.nvidia.com/developer/NVTextureSuite/DDS_viewer.exe

To open & save them in PSP or Photoshop: http://farcry.filefront.com/file/Adobe_Photoshop_DDS_Plugin;37136

As for the glowmaps, do you have any other mods that might be conflicting with it? (though why that would be the case I don't know :\ )
Umm, you could also try this long shot: rename it from "Lucifer-HTL-Glow.dds" to "Lucifer-HTL-glow.dds"

Twisted Infinities

Offline starfox

Thank you for the links to the dds viewer & plugin, life's now lot easier.
As for the glowmaps, couldn't get them to work. I do have one idea though, maybe they will work when the ship is released in media_vp ?
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

There is a bit of discrepancy however between the "planetary" beam cannon and the one used against the GTD Legion --- the planetary one seen in prototype removed cutscenes and the final "ravaging of Vasuda Prime" was BLUE (as is Vasudan Admiral's), and the one used against the GTD Legion was YELLOW like the Shivan Superlasers that fire from the two "arms" that downed the GTD Galatea in FS1.

Since we can't know for sure which is which, and arguing over it would be pointless, I suggest that the only logical explanation is that while the Lucifer's two forward arms always fire Shivan Superlaser (yellow) as established in FS1, the two side "Claw Emitters" are capable of BOTH "Shivan Planet Pounder" (as established in FS1 prototype cutscenes) and "Shivan Superlaser" (as established in FS2). If one thinks of the blue planet pounder beam as simply an overcharged or higher grade version of Superlaser (i.e. BFGreen vs. BGreen), then it makes perfect sense --- like blender settings, the Lucifer's side cannons can be set for destroying other ships or even planets as they please.

That being said, FREDdding or whatnot could change the side cannons' firing modes at will as the mission designer sees fit, right? So there really isn't a problem, really.

And I LOVE the look of the planetary bombardment cannon --- it looks exactly like the one from the cutscene to me =3

*dances gaily*

Wait...I HAVE TO WAIT TILL I HAVE ACCESS TO MY OTHER COMP BEFORE I CAN GET IT!

...crud.

*dances less gaily*
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I just figued that the beams changed color as they hit atmosphere, but thats just me.

Very nice Ships VA. :yes:
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
OMFG! *downloads*
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Yeah, i alos figures it was reaction with the atmosphere that made the beam blue... and city sized...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
but, if you see the FS2 intro, you see the planet decimators vasudan beam colored. i think that proves the " the atmosphere changes the beam" theory.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Since the FS2 intro shows the Hades crashed on a planets' surface and Lucys beams in the wrong place - along with a crippled Herc making planetfall, and the pilot surviving - I'm prepared to ignore it as the reminisces of Our Jaded Narrator Bemoaning The Lost Generation.  Having the surface bombardment weapon on opposite sides of the ship is retarded: since there's only ONE in the FS1 cutscene, I figured the nose recess was a much, much larger beam cannon.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Looks like FS2 doesn't like big filenames...

Error: Passed filename, 'lucifer-htl_debris_low-shine', is too long to support an extension!!

Maximum length, minus the extension, is 27 characters.

File:\fs2_open\code\bmpman\bmpman.cpp
Line: 1342
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Hang on, there isn't a shinemap included for the debris. Does it try and auto-create one if it can't find it?
Either way.....umm, rename the base debris texture to "lucifer-htl_dbr" (do the same for the glow map and the phantom shinemap if it's there) the and use modview/pcs to set the lucy's debris texture to match, if you haven't already.

And thanks, I'll fix and re-upload it again. (actually, I've just realised that the "_low" bits weren't meant to stay for the low detail one's release anyway. :nervous: )

Edit: Re-uploaded
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 06:06:45 pm by Vasudan Admiral »
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:jaw: The FSPort team wants to take you home and cuddle you all night.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...