Author Topic: BWs Civvy props - Acropolis Dock, Cargo platform, Gas Ring  (Read 11213 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Ah, never mind. If people want to make civvy stuff, they will. In the meantime, I've got a new cargo platform coming up, and a gas cannister, and possibly the tug to go with it, although that still needs a lot of texture work. We'll see how it goes.
Oooh, sounds cool. Hopefully other people will join in.

Not to mention the fact that many models have become obsolete over the years, and using them now would result in complaints. Therefore, fresh models are always welcome. :)
I do think that there are more than enough Terran destroyers around, though.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Yeah, some categories are more privileged than others, but if someone comes out with a new destroyer I'm going to appreciate his effort regardless of the number of fan-made destroyers. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, some categories are more privileged than others, but if someone comes out with a new destroyer I'm going to appreciate his effort regardless of the number of fan-made destroyers. :)
Indeed. More ships are always welcome, but I think people should be encouraged to make useful things rather than more of the same ubership stuff.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Unfortunately, small installations and other uncommon fan-made ships don't have a huge fanbase even if they're amazingly cool.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Well, yes, you can look, but I guarantee you there's stuff that just doesn't exist in them - see if you can find a fighter dock anywhere other than this, for a vey obvious example.
Would a rescaled and retextured Ganymede be considered cheating?

EDIT: If not then I could upload this to FS Mods:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:52:38 pm by BengalTiger »
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
bengal is that sig really productive :/

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well, yes, you can look, but I guarantee you there's stuff that just doesn't exist in them - see if you can find a fighter dock anywhere other than this, for a vey obvious example.
Would a rescaled and retextured Ganymede be considered cheating?
yes, that is cheating considering he's talking about original models and it doesn't even look like a fighter dock
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, a scaled down ganymede could make some sense in universe.
I guess it could be usefull as well.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Why the "Dk" if the Ganymede has "I" on its name? :)

The FSReference Bible describes the Installation term as being used for not only size, but also self-sufficiency and permanence. This is neither.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Thanks for the info!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As mentioned above, I've got a few of these things to put out there, going to spread them out (many of them still need to be tweaked for release), but since my New Years is effectively off this year ( :( ) you guys benefit from my having time to work on this, so, err... here we go.

[  [  [DOWNLOAD]  ]  ]

No table file included with this one, (I left it on the other compy :nervous:) but it's simple enough - give it the drydock flag, pick your number of hitpoints and you're golden. What is included, for a change, is LoDs (well, one lod, it's pretty low poly anyway once you take away those girders), debris, and, err... as usual no normal map. I'll get there, one day.

[EDIT] Table entry:

Code: [Select]
$Name: Cargo Platform
$Short name: TPForm1
$Species: Terran
+Tech Description: Cargo Platform.
$end_multi_text
$POF file: Platform1.pof
$Detail distance: (0, 300, 500, 1300)
$Show damage: YES
$Density: 1
$Damp: 0.2
$Rotdamp: 0.2
$Max Velocity: 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
$Rotation time: 20.0, 20.0, 20.0
$Rear Velocity: 0.0
$Forward accel: 0.0
$Forward decel: 0.0
$Slide accel: 0.0
$Slide decel: 0.0
$Expl inner rad: 50.0
$Expl outer rad: 100.0
$Expl damage: 10.0
$Expl blast: 100.0
$Expl Propagates: NO
$Shockwave Speed: 0.0
$Default PBanks: ()
$Default SBanks: ()
$SBank Capacity: ()
$Shields: 0
$Power Output: 0.0
$Max Oclk Speed: 0.0
$Max Weapon Eng: 0.0
$Hitpoints: 5000
$Flags: ( "drydock" )
$AI Class: none
$Afterburner: NO
$Countermeasures: 0
$Scan time: 2000
$EngineSnd: -1
$Closeup_pos: 0.0, 0.0, -363
$Closeup_zoom: 0.55
$Score: 0

Anyway, this is basically a prop - it serves no real purpose, but, much like the fighterdock, adds to the atmosphere around installations, especially civillian or industrial ones. As you can see from the pictures, the TAC fits comfortably on top, but doesn't fit underneath, except in the central spot - I'd encourage people to play with the positioning of the dockpoints though, or just position the cargo containers in FRED, if they want a different configuration. Obviously all the smaller containers fit neatly, but it does look a tad sparse if they're all small. The other thing people may choose to do might be to put some decals or paint on top - the surface is pretty bland, but it's supposed to be covered in cargo, so I've pretty much just left it  as bare metal. Up to you guys - I've left the texs as TGA for easy fiddling.

Oh, and yes, I am aware of the... relative pointlessness of having a cargo platform in space, but just go with it. Rule of cool. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:25:43 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: BWs Civvy props - Acropolis Dock, Cargo platform
You can add some turrets to it to make it have a purpose.

Just wondering: Are the textures yours or from somewhere else? This one, too, looks Imperial.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
No, I guess that's just my style of texturing coming through - they're all hand-made.

As for turrets, well, I suppose you could, but if you download the pof, it's pretty obviously just a shell (well, it should be pretty obvious, if I've done my job :)). I can't see anywhere on the model to hide a reactor or anything.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Another cool little thing. Could make cargo depot missions more interesting.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Interesting, although not very FS-ey. The FS universe loves to have random groups of cargos in the middle of nowhere.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I could imagine a tug-like ship towing one of these around, or perhaps a few joined together. A sort of alternative cargo conveyance system.

Edit: Actually I might try to model something for civilian use, given the need that there is for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:26:59 am by lostllama »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I could imagine a tug-like ship towing one of these around, or perhaps a few joined together. A sort of alternative cargo conveyance system.
That actually sounds like an awesome idea. Like real-life freight ships, carrying more than one cargo container (granted, the TC-TRI is about the size of a modern-day aircraft carrier, but still).

I haven't checked the retail cargo container models, but can they be docked together in an end-to-end fashion?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmmm... like barge trains? There's no real place to put a dockpoint on it alas, due to all the sticky-out bits... probably an easy edit to chuck some sort of docking extension on either end, but I really don't relish converting it again... :\

Lostllama - AFAIK, they can be, i.e. it's supported by the engine, but you may need to add an extra dockpoint.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Its a lovely model; i bet people will find it useful. The only downside is that at the moment ships can't get to the cargo on it. It might be worth someone adding a second dockpoint on the opposite side of containers so their upside-down, and somehow having containers move away from the station when they undock (at the moment you can't give cargo containers undock orders); that way containers could be collected by freighters during a mission.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.