Author Topic: Enzo03 digs up his old models thread  (Read 12705 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: Subpar 3D Models Seeking Tall, Dark, Handso--you know what? just WIPs
You've got some pretty slick modeling there, man. You've got forms down great. :)

Gonna throw in a suggestion for the software I use, modo. It's a great program, I ended up settling on it because it had some truly awesome UV tools in addition to an exceptionally song 3D toolset.

Otherwise, keep at it. :) As for scale, what I do is model a 5'10" block for a tall humanoid, then scale everything off of that. :)

Offline Enzo03

Thanks, man.

For scale, I tried my best to compare it to a Ulysses craft, but all I had were screenshots because I was too lazy to go through the trouble of taking the model out of the .vp file.

I got it into PCS2 but it doesn't seem to be textured :-\
I'll probably work on it after a good night's sleep.. and a weekend quiz (?! :().

edit: So I found JGZ's Max - PCS2 - FS2 Rigging tutorial.  Explains things pretty well and thus, progress is being made. Crash on save. :lol:
And that's why I save often.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:34:09 pm by Enzo03 »
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Enzo03

And after some really hacky table editing (no really, I ended up just copying a lot of stuff and hoping for the best just so I could see if I could get the model working), we're ingame:

Thanks to everyone who helped out.
I've decided I'm not going to be using this particular model for any serious mods, unless I can get some Gratuitous Magical Texturing Skills that will make even THIS ship look good. :lol:

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Kinda reminds me of starfox from those angles... good job getting it in there!
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Enzo03

I'm pretty sure that ACE and its various incarnations was inspired pretty heavily by Star Fox :P
And thanks.

Offline Enzo03

I got bored and sidetracked and:

:-\ Turns out with the way I set these ships up, missiles are the only things that "make a Zoom and then Boom." :lol:

As a side-comment, I keep having a problem with the Arcadia always exploding at the very beginning of the mission when I set special hitpoints... but that'd be better off in a FRED Thread. :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:53:28 pm by Enzo03 »

Offline Enzo03

The more I looked at the old model at the top of the page, the more I began to say "yuck, I don't like this at all", although I'm not surprised :P
So I decided to start from the ground up again and:

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Not bad. I don't like the skinny nose too much, though.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If it's based off an I-Gear, you're gonna get a skinny nose. :P

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Good point. Though the angle makes this look exceptionally skinny.

Offline Enzo03

Only the front shot has perspective. :P

Offline Enzo03

Behold the source of many pulled hairs:

Oh, and... uh, ...
 :D I guess.

Offline -Sara-

Love it, but agree on the thin nose looking off. Suggestion (with winged nose and longer tail):

Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That looks really good, but maybe the struts holding the engines could be thicker?

Offline Enzo03

Eh, I think I'll stick with it as it is, I'm completely sick of trying to make a "better" version of this thing, I'd rather move on to another ship (after texturing this one... maybe... ... ...texturing. Ugh.)

..That and I disagree with the winged nose thing you suggested, tbh.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
You could always try hand painting this sucker :D
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Enzo03

I don't have the means to do that, I don't want to deal with the mess, insert another excuse here, I don't wanna try painting it. :shaking:
That, and I generally suck at painting.

I'm going for a semi-simple appearance, one that looks like it could have been more or less "drawn and inked". Until I go into detailing though, I'll try some simple color scheme tests.

I also may read up on baking hard shadows into the texture for later on but it seems every single damn tutorial for doing this is with 3DS Max, which is something that costs money, which is turn is something that I do not have and currently cannot get.
Currently, I can VERY easily get the appearance of some extremely crappy gouraud lighting applied to the texture using everything available to me in Wings 3D and some GIMP work, but I don't want that; for my purposes it turns out:
YHU0kudyuck yukckckcuyck'

BAdaafanbabadbadabad
NONIONNononoonio

I may post the resulting color scheme tests and ask for input.

Offline Enzo03

Very basic color scheme tests, the only changes are in the, uh, "trim" coloring I suppose.  I am highly considering on working with darkening the rest of the ship but I would have to look at it ingame to make a final decision.
Without further ado...
Color Scheme Test 1:

Color Scheme Test 2:

Color Scheme Test 3:

I left the lines on because I plan on having some of the polygon lines actually put into the texture itself, but only where appropriate.  Other lines will be added for details as well such as flaps on the wings (this is supposed to be a fighter designed to perform well (albeit VERY differently) both in space and atmospheric environments, even though this design would never fly, of course).
I'm contemplating on what I'll do with the "pods" in between the fuselage and the engines.  They're staying for sure, but I'm thinking on how I can make them look like weapon pods or sorts.  I'm through with modeling the ship itself.  Not going to model in fake missiles like you see in WoD's ships or the HTL Medusa.  No WAY I'm doing that ****! :P

Also, whichever color scheme I go with on this one will probably end up being the color scheme I go with on nearly every single Terran craft I make for the mod... that is, if I go through with the whole "omg I'm making a mod" thing.
The exceptions? Non military craft, etc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:46:01 am by Enzo03 »

Offline Enzo03

Re: Enzo03 digs up his old models thread
After just over 3 years since the last post, I've discovered this exists again (mainly because of some recent texturing and slight modifications Andrew did to the Katana II) so I've decided to leave this here:

Takes some cues from Ace Online's Rapid Binder (I-Gear) and the F-14

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
That's a really sweet thing you got there, Enzo. I kinda feel that it the fuselage and canopy are a bit short. You might want to make it a little taller.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon