Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT AND DEMO RELEASE: The Last Stand  (Read 20281 times)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
ANNOUNCEMENT AND DEMO RELEASE: The Last Stand
Hello HLP! I've been busy!

No pictures, sadly. The screencam script is simply too limited for what I want to do (player beams/muzzleflashes disappearing on activation, etc), so you'll just have to try it out for yourself!

The fortresses of Polaris have fallen. The Sol wormhole is lost, and with it, the war. Humanity's finest hour is at hand.

FEATURES:

• Capship command. Lots of it. As in, that will be the only thing you do in the campaign
  • Manage your ship's heat, energy, weapons, and defenses in real-time while you fight an intelligent enemy that reacts to your every move
  • An event-driven, gameplay focused campaign
  • Innovation! Hopefully?
  • You get to overcharge your beams then skewer an enemy cruiser with it. It's very fun.

DEMO LINK:

alt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/divsr5wotncz9os/LastStand_1.7z

INSTRUCTIONS:

Extract into root FS2 directory, Run with a launcher, make a new pilot and go to the ready room. The default campaign should be set

Currently, the demo is limited to only the first mission. For this, I intend to do episodic releases, but to the max.  Every mission I complete will be released in its own package that you can just drop into the directory to run. I'm not sure how good an idea this is, but hopefully it will maximize everything from how much you get to play to how much I actually release.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:54:53 pm by JSRNerdo »
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT AND DEMO RELEASE: The Last Stand
- I marked a jump behind engines of the Hatshepsut but I jumped still in range of all three crown beam cannons o___O. Nanojump system is pretty good here, but check if it's actually precise.
- And this is the same thing with vasudans used as alien antagonists again. I remember they were two or three times when someone just used vasudans as some other aliens. The problem is I still see vasudan Hatshepsut here, instead of command ship of some new alien race. Maybe try to recolor them? Make some visual distinctiveness for them.
- Maybe anti-fighter missiles need some little buff?
- Impervious_REV.pof is used in briefing, but not included in modpack just like majority of the ships. If you do partial release, please remove missing ships from tables.
Okay, enough rambling. I love it :D! Well made mission with good balance and cool music!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
This sounds great! I've never done capship command missions, but I think this would be a good place to try it out!

College work has me busy, but I'll try to take a look tonight. Thanks for all the work you put into this.  :yes:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nice, downloading. Does it use that ancient Capship Command script me and my father adapted from an old BP release, or did you find/make a more elegant solution?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

How do I fire my beam cannons?

(so far this is looking totally awesome!) :D

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!

Training message should give you that information.

Press the left arrow or right arrow to fire left or right side beam cannons respectively
Beams must have 200GW charged to fire, and fire an additional pulse with every additional 50GW
Press F12 to cycle between enemy warships
Beam charge rate is determined by your weapons ETS setting
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Darius

This is a really solid, fun groundwork for a campaign. Capship mechanics are intuitive and fun and you can really feel the power of the massive ship that you're commanding. Those beams are super-satisfying to fire. Didn't get much utility out of the flak primaries due to the fact that enemy fighters and bombers rapidly close the distance to you and those heavy cruisers aren't really designed to dogfight.

The piranha-esque lateral launchers though look amazing - though i suspect their effectiveness doesn't match the visuals.

Died to the flagship though. Did my best to stay out of the fire arc by camping behind its engines but it somehow got a noscope jumpkill when it shot its front beams behind it.

Can I throw out some ideas? The railgun and flak primaries would be amazing with a smaller White Star-type ship. Combine this with some hard-hitting dumbfire lateral torpedo launchers, WoWs destroyer-style!

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
- I marked a jump behind engines of the Hatshepsut but I jumped still in range of all three crown beam cannons o___O.

Died to the flagship though. Did my best to stay out of the fire arc by camping behind its engines but it somehow got a noscope jumpkill when it shot its front beams behind it.

wat :confused:

The Pharaoh is just using the mediaVPs Hatshetsput model, and it should have check hull enabled... bwuh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
- I marked a jump behind engines of the Hatshepsut but I jumped still in range of all three crown beam cannons o___O.

wat :confused:

The Pharaoh is just using the mediaVPs Hatshetsput model, and it should have check hull enabled... bwuh
These beams have firepoints pointing upward [X:0.0 Y:1:0 Z:0.0] and FOV of 180 degrees. It means they can fire both straight forward to act as spinal beams, or backward. As far as I remember, it's default setting od retail Hatshepsut.

You may adjust it yourself and replace default Hats model in your modpack, or check out the jump. I jumped something like 600-800 meters from my marked destination point. Beams killed me instantly, leaving single, one "wtf? o__O" in my mind.  I guess because jumping point is set to origin of the ship, not the firepoint. When people fly big capship they just don't realize how big their ass actually is.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Training message should give you that information.

Press the left arrow or right arrow to fire left or right side beam cannons respectively
Beams must have 200GW charged to fire, and fire an additional pulse with every additional 50GW
Press F12 to cycle between enemy warships
Beam charge rate is determined by your weapons ETS setting

But my left and right arrows are my yaw controls... Are we assuming that I'm using the mouse? I used the arrow keys to fly the ship just like I normally would and no beams were fired.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Incidentally, something about this story reminds me of a project called MindGames that Karajorma worked on, like, way more than a decade ago. At least, that's what I know of it.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
But my left and right arrows are my yaw controls... Are we assuming that I'm using the mouse? I used the arrow keys to fly the ship just like I normally would and no beams were fired.

Ah, yeah, it assumes default controls for most things. OK, whatever you're rebound "equalize shields left" and "equalize shields right" to are your left and right beam fire controls respectively.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This is pretty cool. Really like those piranha launchers. Kinda felt the ship was anemic at anti-fighter defence without spamming them though. The flak primaries are basically useless since you can't get fighters in your sights, and the ship doesn't seem to have point defence guns at all?

There's all this talk about GWs for beams, heat, and capacitors for repairs and stuff but I don't seem to see it on my UI?
In fact I don't seem to see any additional UI at all. Is this normal or did I break something?
I couldn't really tell what was going on with my ship's systems at all. Repair seemed to restore 1% hull every time I pressed 4 and nothing otherwise, so I was just mashing it to heal.

Died to the hatshepsut, those beams have a really good FoV @_@
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
There's all this talk about GWs for beams, heat, and capacitors for repairs and stuff but I don't seem to see it on my UI?
In fact I don't seem to see any additional UI at all. Is this normal or did I break something?

There absolutely should be an additional hud gague right above a panel on the right side of your screen. Don't know what's going on with that, that's pretty weird. What resolution are you playing at? It uses the BPTACCOM, have you had problems with that?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:32:22 pm by JSRNerdo »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh, there it is. Had to fiddle with res a bit.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Darius

I agree that more feedback to the player is needed about what's available as a "spell" and a quick one-line reminder about what it does. Wasn't sure if my beams were overloaded or not, and not sure when the repair mechanics were available.

Offline Darius

BOLITHO COMMAND - The Last Stand submod

>>> DOWNLOAD <<<

I was wondering how this command mission would play if I was in a ship that was small enough to actually be able to throw itself around in a fight but still large enough to bring MAXIMUM FIREPOWER to bear. So I spent a few hours tweaking up and putting together a minimod for JSRN's mod.

Download and extract the data folder into the same folder as JRSN's mod VPs. The mission should be selectable in the techroom under the mission simulator.

The hero ship: The Bolitho. She's small and sexy and perfect for the role. I stripped out the larger turrets, kept the underslung dual battery for forward primary firepower and added a broadside bank of dumbfire torpedoes as secondaries. This thing is meant to play like a ww2 destroyer - you pull up alongside a larger target and ripple fire a broadside into the hull (somewhat like how Rebel Galaxy does it, but in 3 dimensions). Unless you're very good at aiming, you'll want to release your payload at basically point blank range.

She's smaller than the Moscow and more fragile. You'll be able to get out of the way of beams easier, but if they hit you'll feel it more.

Other than the improved manoeuvrability and new broadside torpedoes, this ship differs from the Moscow in that she does not use lateral beams, beam overload or antifighter missiles. However she still has repair and active armour, as well as the Capacitor and Heat system. Watch that afterburner - it's powerful but heat builds up like a mofo and before you know it you're dead in the water and vulnerable to beams.

Weapons recharge energy is also linked to point defense firepower - use this to your advantage against bombers.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:26:06 pm by Darius »

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I heartily recommend this product and/or service, so much in fact that I'll probably flesh it out and make a full mini-campaign tie-in to go with the main mod!

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Ah, yeah, it assumes default controls for most things. OK, whatever you're rebound "equalize shields left" and "equalize shields right" to are your left and right beam fire controls respectively.

Oh, gotcha, I know where those are. Thanks!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
[opening remarks]

Consider fluffing up the transfer order to be more formal. Google up some real naval documents for inspiration! Also proofread the CB, it's got a duplicate 'and and'.

I like 'the MIND' as a name for an antagonist.

I clicked on a briefing icon and it crashed.

Trantors are real cool and fun! So are the beam broadsides once I figured out how to use them - it feels a little ****ty that you can discharge the beam, and spend the power, while it's not actually in legal arc to fire. Bzzzzzoom

I alt-tabbed out, and now when I alt-tab back in, my HUD disappears every couple seconds and the tactical display is gone.  :confused:

I replayed and that happened again without alt-tab: my HUD just kept shutting off. My only other feedback is that when you're given an order to take out incoming gunships, give me a directive and a hotkey too!