Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 421209 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)
Get ready for a new kind of FSO launcher!

Never heard of FSO, the SCP or mod.ini files?
Download Knossos and you'll be playing new mods within minutes! Just don't forget to tell us if Knossos helped you or if you had problems.

You've used wxLauncher for years, can write a mod.ini file in your sleep or have been using 5.5g since it was new?
Forget everything you know about launchers and embrace Knossos' new approach! It might be scary at first but trust me, change can be good. Knossos should be pretty self-explanatory if you use the dev tab to add mods and read the integrated help texts. Just know that we're here to help if you run into issues, get confused by all of the new stuff or get frustrated.
Don't use your existing FS2 installation as Knossos' data directory (where mods will be installed) since Knossos uses a new directory structure and isn't compatible with existing installations. It also doesn't support mod.ini files.

Change log

Windows installer
Debian/Ubuntu

Python module (all OSes):
pip install https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos-0.15.0.dev0+73b131a.tar.gz

Windows Installer | macOS Bundle (.dmg)
Other download links and installation instructions

VERY IMPORTANT: Due to changes in FSO 3.8.0, Knossos will store the engine settings in a new location (%appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen on Windows). As a result, once you've used Knossos, all legacy launchers (like 5.5g and YAL) will be unable to start 3.8.0 properly until you delete the new settings folder. This issue is fixed in recent nightlies. If you want to use Knossos together with legacy launchers, use them!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since this is a beta, all errors will be automatically reported to me. If you don't want this, go to settings and turn off the automated error reports. In case you're wondering, the only personal information that can be sent here is your username since it often ends up in paths (like C:\Users\someone\AppData\Knossos\...) and your computer name.
ALSO IMPORTANT if you're on macOS: Change your preferred stability in Knossos' settings to "nightly". The currently uploaded stable FSO build is broken.

Please keep an eye on your free disk space. If you try to install all available mods, you can easily end up with more than 100 GiB of files. If a mod installation fails, make sure you have enough free disk space left.

Another note: If you upload mods, please don't change your mod dependencies between minor versions (i.e. between 0.3.6 and 0.3.7) to avoid dependency conflicts. Whenever you change your dependencies, please increase either of the first two version numbers (according to the previous example, you'd end up with either 0.4.0 or 1.0.0).

If you're going to create or upload mods through Knossos, here's a helpful guide which explains the whole process. If you have questions or problems, feel free to post here or on Discord.

Huge thanks to mjn.mixael for the excellent UI work without him Knossos probably would still look like this.
If you're interested in contributing or want to take a look at the source code, the code is hosted on GitHub. Bugs can be reported here, there or in the #knossos channel on HLP's Discord.

What works:
  • You can create and upload your own mods.
  • You can install the available mods. Knossos will only install FSO builds which you can actually run!
  • Knossos resolves dependencies. If a mod needs the MediaVPs and you don't have them yet, it will install them for you.
  • It can launch mods and FRED.
  • Uploading debug logs
  • Staff list: Give other users access to your mod to edit it and upload new releases.
  • Private mods! Only people who are added to your mod can see/install your mod. (Beta testers can be added with read-only permissions)

Known issues:
  • Ubuntu users running any version before 17.04 are stuck on an old version because those Ubuntu versions are missing the python-pyqt5.qtwebengine dependency.

Stuff planned for the next beta:
  • Tags: Modders will be able to assign tags to their mods which can then be used to filter the mod list.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 04:36:04 pm by chief1983 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.6.0 (combined launcher/installer)
Concept for First Run wizard that we'll be working on for the next release...

This biggest change here is just adding the default install location. Most people shouldn't have to worry about this.

Turns out this doesn't need an autodetect button. Instead Knossos does that automatically and we just let the user know if we detected FS2 here instead of all these BUTTONS.

If you point it towards a way to get Retail, let's give some sort of visual feedback that something is happening, even if it's super fast copying of files.

Or the user can skip this step.

Explore should link to the Explore tab, MediaVPs should link to the MediaVPs Details page.

If the user has not installed Retail Freespace 2, let's add a button in Settings that just takes them right back to Page 2 of the Getting Started wizard. It should go on from there including Page 3 to suggest the MediaVPs.

The other thing I would add (and this would relate to the Last Played data that we don't currently track) is a prompt on the first run of Retail FS2 that says "Looks like you want to play the original Freespace 2 game. We just wanted to let you know that this is exactly the game that was released in 1999. If you want to play graphically updated version, you should install the MediaVPs"

Feedback? Does this cover all the potential hiccups for new players?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm just gonna leave this here....

Offline m!m

Could the mod version numbers be removed from the Home and Explore tabs? It looks weird to see a version number that often has no real meaning since for all mods except maybe the MediaVPs only the latest version matters.

Does the mod.json format and Nebula support changing the mod title for every version? That could be used in this list instead if the version is relevant for the mod (e.g. MediaVPs 3.7.2 would be displayed as MediaVPs 2014).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Wow guys. Just.. wow, that looks so awesome...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Wow guys. Just.. wow, that looks so awesome...
QFT
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline Axem

The work done on uploading mods to Knossos over the last few weeks has been nothing but unbelievable. Going from just FSO and the MediaVPs at the start of the month to now a total of 43 downloadable mods! (And there's still lots more to get uploaded)

Everything looks so cool and professional, hats off to ngld and mjn for their tireless work so far!

A second hat off to mjn for all that cool art made/remade for the campaigns, and a third hat off to PIe for uploading a good number of campaigns too. You guys are awesome.

Like really awesome.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
TCs are implemented but haven't been tested. Feel free to report any related bugs!

Okay, Diaspora is now available for people to test whether TCs install correctly. Quite frankly I'm rather surprised we beat Wings of Dawn to be the first TC on Knossos.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I had no issues installing and loading up Diaspora.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Okay, Diaspora is now available for people to test whether TCs install correctly. Quite frankly I'm rather surprised we beat Wings of Dawn to be the first TC on Knossos.
Well, this way Diaspora can be the guinea pig  ;7

I plan on putting WoD on Knossos good and proper when I release episode 2, episode 1 is too old and busted right now.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Good to hear that's working, hoping for FotG to be the first TC to use ACLs for private beta testing distribution :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Totally stupid suggestion: a "Complete" tag or checkmark or something would be very satisfying to mark mods that you have completed.   ;7

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't think there's currently an easy way to determine that from outside of the game engine, if at all.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I meant one the player could check, themselves.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When filtering gets added that and unplayed should definitely be options.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
It works fine, but on my end sometimes it takes ages to register my inputs.

For example I will click on "Install". And only 5 minutes after it actually starts installing. Not sure what's the cause of it.

Other than that, it got me back into Freespace :P Currently playing the Ancient-Shivan war campaign !

This works really well so far! Also got a curious question: Will you consider adding ship models as downloads? (i.e. revamped apollo, anuket, leviathan, etc). Just wondering if that is at all possible

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
This works really well so far! Also got a curious question: Will you consider adding ship models as downloads? (i.e. revamped apollo, anuket, leviathan, etc). Just wondering if that is at all possible
It might be possible with the Extension system (which hasn't been implemented yet), but it would be preferable for there to be a newer MediaVPs release incorporating all of them instead.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I guess single-ship mods could also be created (with the mediavps as a dependency). That might balloon the number of mods quite quickly though :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...