Author Topic: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines  (Read 51173 times)

Offline Patriot

Re: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines
Double Post because i can!!

New month, which counts 3rd's battle(was fought on the first day of this month).

Morale roll, did not count 3rd's battle toward the 5 battles for a -1 to roll on the morale.
Morale of the pirates dropped to Very Low(-3 on the roll, did not roll very high..), which means that no standard battles are fought. Which is good, as some of our mechs are so badly damaged that it takes a while to get their parts in and fix em up properly. Also gives Hobbie's Kintaro some time to finish being refitted.

We did, however, have a Special Mission to do in week 2. That ended up being one of the two Star League Cache missions.
The two varieties are one MechWarrior fighting a Star League era mech that can be a Primitive, regular or Royal mech. In the case of a Primitive, you don't fight but just claim it as your own. The Regular and Royal rolls involve battling the mech, which is of equal weight class as the mech you send in(so there's some cherry picking involved, but no guarantee that you get the exact mech you want), which you can salvage after the battle provided you don't lose. If it's functional, huzzah, new mech. If not, oh well..
The variant we had was one of our MechWarriors fighting alongside the SL mech(which fluff-wise is a tech recovering the mech at 5/6 skill) against 3 enemy mechs(current enemy and skill level counts, so Pirate mechs with Green Skill). Kill ALL the Enemies for victory, and then, provided the SL Mech is functional, you get that + normal salvage.

So, for that mission, Sgt. Gilles went in with her Phoenix, accompanied by the SL era GRF-2N(ER PPC + 2 SRM6) against a Withworth, BlackJack and a Wolverine.
We won, the Griffin was severely damaged in the fight(even so far as to fall over in water and blacking out with a Leg Breach). 2 out of 3 mechs were capped in the head.
We salvaged the Wolverine and BlackJack.
Because the Griffin survived, i had to add it via the Unit Purchase screen(we did get it for free, regardless) but it's undamaged now because of that method. So a little houserule for such occassions would be to NOT use it until the current and next month have passed or contract ends, whichever is sooner.

So, after another week(fast forwarding here cause of no normal battles to do), I roll for an event, we get Treachery as result.
Treachery means next month's morale roll will be with a +1 modifier, along with whatever modifiers apply normally.
We also run into a shortage of Armor, so i ordered 45 tonnes worth of Standard Armor. That ought to keep us going for a few months, haha.
OstSol is still undergoing repairs, not much to go, just some armor and a Large Laser replacement to do.
Started modifications on the Banshee, replacing the LB-10X with a Large Laser, 2 Med Lasers(rear firing), a BAP and ECM.

Week 3 of May 3050
Event roll again, we get a Bonus Roll as a result. Rolling for bonus, we get some parts, 2 in fact. Any availability level, but no LosTech. Which leaves us with only 1 thing to choose from(because we can get anything up to level 3 normally) is PPCs, which are level 4 and the only non-LosTech part in level 4 and 5.
OstSol is out of the Repair Bay, so Polly has his Mech ready for action now.
We also recruited a new doctor, regular skill. Thought it might be handy to have a third doctor.

Week 4 of May 3050
Event Roll, Special Mission again, ends up being another SL Cache mission, same kind as the previous one.
I decide to send in Polly, and i roll a Galahad for the SL Mech. I rolled Royal table too, and the Galahad is also in the Regular table, so there's a missed chance on a special model of Mech. Oh well.
Map generation had the enemies trapped on little islands, so it was a long shooting back and forth, good thing the Galahad can shoot uninterrupted because the Gauss Rifles have only 1 heat to produce each(there's 2 rifles). The OstSol is next in line for a simple Heat Sink and Armor upgrade.

The SL Cache mission didn't go as well as i'd hoped, the Galahad got headkicked by an enemy WarHammer, but not before it crippled the two Riflemen. Polly only got 1 kill, one of the Riflemen. The other two were ejection kills.
So we didn't get the Galahad, not sure if salvage from friendly bots is counted towards total salvage, but the Galahad was technically operable. So if you guys say we should get it regardless, i'll add it under the same houserule as we got the Griffin, up to you guys.

This battle was ironically fought on the 31st of May, so the next month's morale roll is in order. The result is that the morale stays the same, so still no regular battles, only events like Special Missions and Big Battles can occur.

I decide not to do a market generation, as we have plenty of surplus mechs and a surplus tank.
I do however bring StarSlayer back, as i mentioned before via the Base Attack we did in our previous contract. Got to talk to him today and he was up for it. He's assigned our recently salvaged Wolverine and placed in Trashman's Lance, replacing the Phoenix Hawk.

Also, if anyone wants to have a "twin" in either a tank or mech(mech for tank crew, tank for mechwarriors) just say so and name the person you want with a callsign.

And finally, Scotty, you had some houserules for Aerospace units, would you care to post em up, cause i'm thinking of using Aerospace units in the future, once we're able to field more than 24 units actively.

This concludes May 3050, on to June 3050.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They're somewhere in my LP thread.  Somewhere.  I don't particularly feel like digging them up at the moment, since I'm packing for a ten day roadtrip. :P

Offline Patriot

Right, June is concluded, and so is our contract.

We helped out some civvies, who didn't really need it. Seriously, Night was there, turns out these clowns had their own Mech. A primitive version of the Toro, Large Laser, 2 SRM2s. That guy even downed an SHD. Netted us another Wolverine that did.

Also, IronBeer got ambushed while on patrol, he made sure they didn't make it back to their base with their mechs intact.

Morale roll dropped the morale level even lower, which means they're Routing, as in, we're done!
Contract's over, so we're heading back to Outreach to look for new contracts.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Busy checking out in the "gently used" WVR.  Course the techs have done a great job fixing her up like new.  I'll need to send Leftenant Kennedy's crew a fine bottle of scotch as soon as I can lay hands on one.   After watching the tapes from that first mission I'm surprised I'm not dead, nearly gave me a case of the shakes.  My time spent in the pirates' care hasn't improved my impression of them any either.  I'm indebted to the team for getting me out of that hellhole during the base raid.  seaking of which I am impressed with the progress the outfit has made, Colonel Fallows' certainly been busy.  Five lances and a large armoured contingent is a far cry from what we started with.  I'm looking forward to getting back out there and making up for my lost time.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Patriot

Alright guys, our first month of unemployment had us buying an Awesome at 25% discount, which is nice.

After that month, contract generation, i have 4 possible contracts available.

Contractor:
FedCom for 6 months
Regular skill/F
Pirate Hunting on Colia

Enemy:
Pirates
Green skill/D

Command: House
Salvage: 70%
Support: BLC/20%

Payment: 28.708.734

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contractor:
Draconis Combine for 18 months
Veteran skill/C
Garrison Duty on Bangor

Enemy:
Clan Smoke Jaguar
Regular skill/A

Command: Liaison
Salvage: 50%
Support: BLC/40%

Payment: 86.126.202

Contractor:
Free Rasalhague Republic for 9 months
Veteran skill/A
Planetary Assault on Kufstein

Enemy:
Clan Wolf
Green skill/C

Salvage: 40%
Support: BLC/Full

Payment: 43.063.101

Contractor:
Free Worlds League for 24 months
Veteran skill/B
Guerilla on Ares

Enemy:
Capellan Confederation
Regular skill/D

Salvage: 100%
Support: Straight/40%

Payment: 114.834.936

These are our choices. Personally, i'd skip the Guerilla. 100% Salvage is nice, but no BLC, just Straight support..

The planetary assault contract seems most lucrative, what with FULL BLC against Green(that's regular skill numbers compared to IS forces) Clan forces, accompanied by Veteran Rasalhaguan troops. Not to mention an attached unit.

The Garrison Duty is also decent, again the Clans, but this time it's front line stuff, A Quality at regular(veteran..) skill accompanied by Veteran Combine troops. 50% salvage but 40% BLC. Though the attached unit per lance in this case is controlled by me, which effectively gives us a Star of mechs each drop.

The pirate hunting contracts are seriously annoying the crap out of me, so i'm not taking that either, just wanted to show you guys that it's an option in case you don't like ANY of the other options.

I'm also lost for how to handle Clan Salvage, i was thinking to houserule it that we can't repair anything unless we actually have the parts scavenged from other pieces of salvage. Of course, if you want clan tech so badly, we can just allow it to be repaired normally, which i think is harder than our own tech anyhow, so there's that.

Vote now people.

P.S. Polly, check steam, i sent a friend request.

Assault on Wolf? Sounds fun. Salvage only 40% though, that kind of sucks because CLAN TECH. But still pretty lucrative, and shouldn't be TOOOO dangerous against green troops. It's got my vote.

Also: Is it possible to modify and upgrade tanks like you can with mechs? If so, I may have some suggestions for the battalion.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Yeah, the FRR-backed assault against a Green Wolf unit seems like a pretty good blend of risk and reward. The salvage rights do suck, but we're still getting paid and have a chance at scoring *some* Clantech.

Also, I do like the houserule regarding Clan gear repairs. It makes sense that their components would be markedly different than IS equivalents.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Patriot

Also, I do like the houserule regarding Clan gear repairs. It makes sense that their components would be markedly different than IS equivalents.

Not only that, but there's no actual market to just order parts left and right like our IS mechs.

Also, the salvage is kinda sucky for clan engagements because of the -2 modifier to the salvage clause in the contract.

So that's 2 votes for stomping Wolf around, should be good as we're pretty equally skilled, our vehicles not counting, as they're overqualified.
Scourge, yes, so just name it and i'll see what i can do.

Stomping the Wolves sounds good as its the most lucrative contract and since you're no longer hunting pirates, maybe you can buy some higher-level equipment.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The difficulty of clan repair things really depends on how advanced rules you are using... That is getting spares or replacements for say a laser could really be a lot more difficult since as per what is stated in game single weapon group in game actually represents a whole family of weapons (with roughly similar performance). So technically you just can't go tearing up a PPC and swapping it with another - i.e. if you used Magna Hellstar then you need to get another one like that and not something like Parti-Kill Heavy (no, i didn't remember those out of hand - i cheated, see http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Particle_Projector_Cannon ). While it is difficult to maintain clantech it is quickly almost equally difficult to maintain 'Mechs made in the other end of the IS.

Also, you do notice that FRR contract places you under house command which may not be the healthiest of options for a merc unit... (depending on GM of course) Being a merc in FRR is not particularly healthy, nor is being potentially assigned to the 'cannon fodder duty' as part of the house command.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Patriot

The difficulty of clan repair things really depends on how advanced rules you are using... That is getting spares or replacements for say a laser could really be a lot more difficult since as per what is stated in game single weapon group in game actually represents a whole family of weapons (with roughly similar performance). So technically you just can't go tearing up a PPC and swapping it with another - i.e. if you used Magna Hellstar then you need to get another one like that and not something like Parti-Kill Heavy (no, i didn't remember those out of hand - i cheated, see http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Particle_Projector_Cannon ). While it is difficult to maintain clantech it is quickly almost equally difficult to maintain 'Mechs made in the other end of the IS.

Also, you do notice that FRR contract places you under house command which may not be the healthiest of options for a merc unit... (depending on GM of course) Being a merc in FRR is not particularly healthy, nor is being potentially assigned to the 'cannon fodder duty' as part of the house command.

MekHQ doesn't use manufacturers for specific items, like weapons, chassis bits, engines and whatnot, and i'm grateful for that. Basically when i need to replace anything, i get a generic piece of equipment.

Also, House command is actually more beneficial for D-rated units, as it places a bot controlled unit in your team in each battle. Liaison places an employer provided mech under your own command in each battle. Integrated gives you two units via bot control and independent means no help unless you have a Base Assault as the offensive party.

In any case, you care to join up Wanderer, still plenty of characters left!

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Personally I'd rather stomp some Capellans. Scheming Capellans!

Shame the FedCom contract sucked. House Davion all the way.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

To: Colonel Scotty Fallows
CC: Lt. Moyna Kennedy

Subject: Tank Lance readiness status and upgrades request

Sirs, I am proud to report that the tank lance has passed muster through every inspection, and the techs have signed off on all combat vehicles. All crews are standing by for whenever our next op is, and we're all eager to make the Marines proud.
You've received my vote on our next contract already, and I'm pleased to report that most of the crews are also eager to test our endo-steel against theirs.

In light of the possibility of engaging clans in the near future, I would like to propose some upgrades to our tanks, if the parts, funding, and tech hours are available. In general, more armor is always appreciated, but I've also itemized some weaponry improvements below.

I'll defer to Deathfun for armament on the Manticore, since he's shooting it. Although... since we may be hitting Clan Wolf, it may be useful to replace the medium laser with something a little more effective against Elementals, like a flamer and/or machine guns.

The Bulldog looks pretty good as-is.

For the Goblin though, if it isn't already, can we upgrade it to the creatively named "Goblin Upgrade"? And is there anything we can do with that infantry bay, like hire up a heavy weapons infantry team?

I like the Schrek as-as also, but I also like the Autocannon variant for our purposes. That, I'll just leave up in the air for you.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken