Author Topic: (Re)Release: Ridiculous, the Director's Cut! (v1.04 out now)  (Read 14671 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
(Re)Release: Ridiculous, the Director's Cut! (v1.04 out now)

Rationale: I'll admit, I was never quiiiiiiite satisfied with how the first pass at Ridiculous turned out. As the creator, there were little rough edges here and there that just bugged me. No longer. Barring anybody discovering any hideous game-breaking bugs, this will be THE definitive and final version of my debut campaign.

Story Overview: A few years after the Second Shivan Incursion, a recon and exploration team flying off of the GVD Minotaur stumbles across something that will forever alter the future of the Alliance. Get drawn into something far beyond hope of control and face down some of the roughest odds this side of Gamma Draconis.

This mod is still Ridiculous, and you should still feel ridiculous while playing it.

Revisions in brief:
*The overall difficulty has been rebalanced, with a particular eye towards higher difficulties and later missions. I was able to beat the campaign all the way up to Insane, but some missions may still require a couple of tries.
*MediaVPs 2014 compatibility has been assured! See space stupidity in shiny ...uh -ness.
*Certain mission backgrounds have been spiced up and made more consistent with other missions in the same region of space.
*New voice acting talent has been incorporated! This is only a partial voice overhaul, but keep your ears open for some new speakers.
*A checkpoint feature has been added to the infamous Mission 8, "Showdown".
*A couple of other tweaks that you'll just need to find for yourself.

A word about requirements:
You WILL need a post-processing-capable build and the 2014 MediaVPs to play.
In contrast to the original version of Ridiculous, the Director's Cut uses cutting-edge FSO features in a few places. Post-processing in particular.  I considered making a secondary version, but in all honesty, I'm only ~so~ diligent, and individually managing two divergent versions would be more headache than I'd care to brook. 

Installation Instructions:
Same as always. Extract the archive contents into your /Freespace directory, set Ridiculous as the active mod with your launcher, and rock on.

YES, I WANT THIS. WHERE CAN I GET IT?
===>MEDIAFIRE DOWNLOAD LINK<=== (.7z, ~126 Mb; Updated to v1.04 on June 13)
The v1.04 update fixes a design oversight that could sometimes prevent progress on Mission 6, "Noise Pollution".

Link to the original release thread for posterity's sake.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:00:27 am by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: (Re)Release: Ridiculous, the Director's Cut!
Downloading now.  Will you add it to the installer?

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Awesome. I might get around to playing this!  :p
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Downloading, let's see how ridiculous I feel   ;)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Im going to try this out !
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline CT27

Awesome!  I look forward to trying this out.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The missions crash as soon as I hit commit. Every single one of them. And my installation works.

Spoiler:
Just kidding.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Eratharon

• Cocky Pilot
The plot was ridiculous. The voice-acting was ridiculous. The missions were ridiculous. I feel totally ridiculous for playing this. The difficulty was ridiculous. Other than that it was a ridiculously good mod to play. I salute you ridiculously.
-Woohoo new campaign! No time to play? ****!!

-Why in the bloody hell is command only giving Colossus ONE wing of bombers against the Sathanas?!

Sounds ridiculous but I never played this campaign. :nervous:
Time to try.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Just finished playing this through from start to finish! I didn't have any problems with it at all... apart from ridiculously PMSL throughout!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Loving it so far!  I do have one question; about something that I am not sure was a bug or a feature: at a point in the first mission where a certain event happens, my whole screen goes white.  I don't want to say more because I don't know how to do the spoiler box thing.  :)  But I already played past it, and am having a blast.

Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I've recently been informed of a bug/oversight in one of the missions- I'll look into adding Ridiculous DC to the installer once I fix it.

(snip) ...my whole screen goes white. (snip)
Feature.

Glad you and everybody else who's piped up is enjoying it!

Also, Cobra, you had me going for a second, you dog!  :p
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Liked it the first time, liked it this time too!
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

The best part of it was James Novafield

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
(Yes, yes. There will be a Director's Cut incorporating various upgrades at some point in the future. Just don't ask when.)

I see you share my development habits. :D

(Which are more properly my task list habits.  I finally got around to playing this. :nervous:)

This campaign was a lot of fun. :)  I was pretty much grinning from start to finish.  It's got its own character distinct from DEM and JAD, which makes it stand out on its own.  I liked the music selections, and Galactallica was awesome.  The customized wingmen personas were a nice touch as well.

The mission difficulty was comfortably in the Goldilocks zone, which allowed it to stay out of the way of the story.  I'm pleased to say I beat mission 8 on the first try -- though there was a tight spot where I got swarmed by fighters just before attacking the Gigas.  (I appreciated the hull-repairing support ship after getting out of that one.)  I finished the mission with 42 kills, which I thought was appropriate.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Played through it and enjoyed it again.  The last time I played was so long that I kind of forgot what happened.  I like that it is a semi-serious parody, though.  I also was able to get through it without too much difficulty.

Hey guys so I've gone to download this and mediafire seems to not like the idea of me downloading anything from their site. No matter whether I complete the captcha thingy, it never leads me to the file (usually sends me to some suspicious looking site). So is there any other links from other sites such as FSmods?

BTW: the mediafire issue relates to everything no just this.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Freespace Files: RidiculousDC

Thanks tomimaki
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!