Author Topic: Star Field Wishlist  (Read 19211 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, you know how to code... on with ya!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

You apparently never saw a mission set in front of one of Lightspeed's nebulas ;)

Just a question .. what mod is that? Inferno?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Try playing derelict, those require lightspeeds nebulas.
I think destiny of peace did too.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Would it be possible to make the angle/possition of the banding definable and would it always have to be used? Could it be switched off in Fred as, as cool as it would be, sometimes it would be nice for it not to be there.
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Get a better star field.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Just to make things clear, by the "Sometimes it would be nice for it not to be there" I meant banding not the starfield as a whole.

Edit: Though that could be useful too...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 04:41:41 am by Dark Knight »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
BTW what is banding?

SMBFD

As in bands of stars, like the Beatles the arms of the Milky way Galaxy

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You apparently never saw a mission set in front of one of Lightspeed's nebulas ;)

Just a question .. what mod is that? Inferno?

None.  That's a ship I had just POFed and needed to test; inferno uses a variant of it but the ship itself is just public release.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i've cropped and cleaned those galaxy images i posted, i'll try to stick them into game

they'll be greatly magnified next to what i think they should be probably, but they'll atleast show some proof-of-concept prettiness
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
I still am thinking that you have not actually run a semi-recent build.  What more diversity do you want?

And of course I'm not talking about banding.  Please, lets add banding.  That would only help visual quality and be noticable in doing so.

hi,
yes i know its a game, but the that starfield that can we see on this screen isnt a starfield like we can see in the naturally space.

i know that is not every time the best way to put to much reality in a game, particularly because Freespace is fiction.
but i think only a point starfield and some nebular are not enaugh.
i think we there a little bit more diversity, too.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

i know that is not every time the best way to put to much reality in a game, particularly because Freespace is fiction.
but i think only a point starfield and some nebular are not enaugh.
i think we there a little bit more diversity, too.

Merphack there is no real problem trying to extend FS universe for personal use (mods, campaings), though, yes I am careful as you when talking about FS Retail campaing, remember that fiction doesn't is always an attemp to modify or harm reality, but sometimes just extend it, it has already happen that fiction has become reality in many cases.
I bet that warning was originally to prevent the original FS from being too modified, and mainly to stop requests...

Anyways, if you want to make something real you can check here, this is regarding more Nebulas, (I am not too sure but I think the starfield is done quite complex in Celestia, that means drawn point by point with an X,Y,Z location, intensity and some other artifacts)

ExtraSolar Nebulaes: Messier Nebulae:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/messiernebulae.php

ExtraSolar Nebulaes: non-Messier Nebulae:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/nonmessiernebulae.php

ExtraSolar stars (but there maybe something to complement an Starfield)

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/extrasolar_stars.php

Galaxies:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/galaxies.php

Or you may want to check the Homepage of Celestia Motherlode (but there is nothing more there related to Starfield), they do an excellent job in the rendering of the overall know universe :

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

----------------------------------------------------------------

There is a lot of media to start with here, All of this media (Nebulas/etc.) just need some format conversion in order to be used in the SCP, sometimes you'll see they are using DDS format, anyways without some "average" knowledge about the media you download you won't be able to really define what you're supposed to represent...(some files contains Readme files with accurate data, so you can get an idea on where in the universe the nebula or other media is or should be located).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:14:30 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Merphack there is no real problem trying to extend FS universe for personal use (mods, campaings), though, yes I am careful as you when talking about FS Retail campaing, remember that fiction doesn't is always an attemp to modify or harm reality, but sometimes just extend it, it has already happen that fiction has become reality in many cases.
I bet that warning was originally to prevent the original FS from being too modified, and mainly to stop requests...
[...]

hi,
yes for personal use modify isnt the problem, but i think this discussion is more about a general modify.
and i think that what i had write, doesnt show that what i had really mean.

i mean the universum its itself fictional, so many things that work there doesnt work in reallife.
so i will say, you doesnt complettly transfused the real to a game.
its more abstract.

and the next point is, how much realistic is good for a game?

but i think more generally diversity for the starfield is a good one.

maybe its possible to add a system that you show you star constellation and some visible galaxy in the right possition.

i hope thats explain is better.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Making the starfield more realistic, and making it look prettier are the same thing here. Because real stars happen to look much better than FS dotfield. So the issue is not making the game more realistic, but to improve the eye candy.
And no, Kazan. The galaxy spirals should not be in the background because I don't think they look good there. Realistic or not.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
tell me the images i posted are not pretty

imagine scaled down versions of those in the background

not pretty my posterior

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I don't think they'd be pretty.  I really don't.  That's no universal truth, I just honestly don't personally think they'd fit.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
well i'll have to hack them into a mission later

Offline Starks

I want to see the following...

Pulsars
Quasars
Supernova remnants
Protostars and planetary disks
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
tell me the images i posted are not pretty

imagine scaled down versions of those in the background

not pretty my posterior
They are in a "ooh the universe and science" sort of way but not for a sci-fi shoot em up.  But...so long as the tools are there...you should be able to toss them up on a skybox or something like that and giver er a go.  Maybe they will turn out better than I expect them to.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, if you were close enough to Andromeda for it to be that large in the sky without magnification, then there would be far fewer stars in your immediate location, and the Milky Way would be a comparatively dim smudge behind you ;)