Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597382 times)

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
How much mining do you have to do to buy an Idris

You cannot buy ships in-game yet. I think it should be in the next patch..
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Seems like a key feature.......

"Downloads warframe on PS4 to experience boarding party mechanics"
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Aesaar

Yes, I'm sure CIG are definitely going to compromise the thing that makes them money.

Also, the only thing SC has over ED is its barely functional FPS system (which is a core feature of CryEngine to begin with).  ED has everything else and much more besides.  I don't much enjoy the game, but it's miles ahead of SC.  This isn't opinion.  ED objectively has more functional gameplay systems and more content than SC does.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower

Yes, I'm sure CIG are definitely going to compromise the thing that makes them money.

Also, the only thing SC has over ED is its barely functional FPS system (which is a core feature of CryEngine to begin with).  ED has everything else and much more besides.  I don't much enjoy the game, but it's miles ahead of SC.  This isn't opinion.  ED objectively has more functional gameplay systems and more content than SC does.

But does it have the power of anticipation and projection of dreams?  :D

Offline Aesaar

No, which is why citizens dismiss it so readily.  They compare the imperfect game ED is to the perfect game they imagine SC will be.  All of SC's problems get dismissed with excuses like 'it's alpha/tier 0 implementation'.  Nevermind that the dogfighting has been **** since Arena Commander released and hasn't improved in those 4 years.

ED's at a disadvantage because ED is a finished game.  As long as Star Citisn't makes no meaningful progress, its fans will excuse every single ****ty aspect of it.  CIG has a vested interest in making as little progress as possible.  Once they release something, citizens will have to come to terms with the fact that the reality doesn't match their dreams.

Offline wookieejedi

Yes I agree. It's human nature to love anticipation and to 'imprint' on things (I am guilty of this myself). SC is this in a masterclass. In this and other cases it leads to folks feeling like an attack on something you really like is an attack on yourself, and to create logic blind-spots. 

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
- Jesus patch 3.0 was released, performance is still **** -> But fret not, the new Jesus patch 3.1 3.2 3.3 will make everything great again

Obviously you havent played SC recently, as performance is now at consistent 40 fps (assuming you have an SSD and 16 gigs of RAM). Patch 3.2 is out and was quite well received by the community. Also patches 3.1 and 3.2 were released without any delays, however at the cost of some features not making it.

Can I just take a moment to revisit how hilarious it is that maslo thinks 40 FPS is performance worth mentioning in a good light, and further listed two things that have very little to do with frame rates to back it up?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, sometimes FSO do not give me more than 40 FPS in some missions too, even with a Titan X in SLI.

So you have to see it from this perspective. Star Citizen has finally closed the gap to FSO  :D
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Can I just take a moment to revisit how hilarious it is that maslo thinks 40 FPS is performance worth mentioning in a good light, and further listed two things that have very little to do with frame rates to back it up?

40 FPS is not ideal but very much playable and you need to put it in contrast with 20 FPS that we used to get when 3.0 landed. That is why I mentioned this important figure. Also, a lot of SC performance issues have to do with heavy stuttering any time the game touches anything out of RAM, hence why the need for SSD and lots of RAM. Processor is also kind of a bottleneck. GPU less so.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline wookieejedi

40 FPS is not ideal but very much playable and you need to put it in contrast with 20 FPS that we used to get when 3.0 landed. That is why I mentioned this important figure. Also, a lot of SC performance issues have to do with heavy stuttering any time the game touches anything out of RAM, hence why the need for SSD and lots of RAM. Processor is also kind of a bottleneck. GPU less so.

Interesting. Objectively a gain is 20+ fps is indeed an improvement (even if it took a while). If you, as a paying backer, are happy with the progress and logical about the road-map then I don't want to hamper something you enjoy. For me it's not my cup of tea, but to each their own  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:11:13 pm by wookieejedi »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
40 FPS after four years of a playable demo is horse****, hth.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

40 FPS is 33% more cinematic than any 30 FPS console peasant game, don't you know.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

40 FPS is 33% more cinematic than any 30 FPS console peasant game, don't you know.

I think SC will run fine on any common Quantum PC once it's released.

It's a feature of the CryEngine.

Offline Lorric

$189M now eh? Another huge, mind blowing jump since the last time I saw the number, I think it was about $140M then.

It has to end sometime, right? There's only so much the cash cows can be milked, right? Right? :nervous:

Probably they should start mining crypto currencies to get that thing financed.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Word on the street is that they disabled a lot of NPCs for 3.2 so that the server doesn't **** the bed and you get a decent framerate.
But I'm sure subsumption AI/server meshing/ bind culling will fix these issues, once Crobbers get's around to implement them in one of his late night coding sessions.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Probably they should start mining crypto currencies to get that thing financed.

They're looking for a way to get backers to pay for the privilege of mining cryptocurrency for CIG.

Offline Mikes

I think SC will run fine on any common Quantum PC once it's released.

Chris Roberts games always ran like a turd on current generation hardware.

It's a feature! It's traditional! It wouldn't be a real spiritual Wing Commander successor otherwise! :-)

(Although, back in the day, the next gen CPU was always leaps and bounds faster than the last one, which definitely is no more the case. going from 286 to 386 was a different world back then. Same when the 486er finally released)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yeah but I used to run frontier elite 2 on a 286.   Wing commander 3 ran on a 486 and I think frontier had better ganeplay.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png