Author Topic: Meson Bomb?  (Read 8375 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I think what makes debris dangerous is the mostly the high speeds they achieve. It may not be obvious at first glance, but have you ever reticle-targeted a hunk of debris? The speeds they can reach are nothing short of crazy- and it's not a little fighter slamming into something, it's anywhere from 10 to 20% of a very large capital ship.

And to think I used to wonder why capitals would continue beaming an exploding ship at zero hull integrity- it's to try and neutralize any chunks!
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
The best weapon for launching debris at huge speed is the flux cannon on the Lucy. If that thing hits a fighter the debris is sent so fast. A clever bit of scripting could make you launch that into a huge capital ship, and lead to its death. :D :D
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
 :lol: I've done something like that. I used cheats to arm myself with the shivan superlasers and made my targets invincible. Then when i shoot a fighter it goes spining off at high speed. Also doing the same in retail to arm myself with the Beam weapons had the same effect.

In retail, when you gave yourself beam weapons, and fired, you didnt get actual beams (that was an SCP feature). Instead you shot tiny [BFRed] bullets that hit your target and sent them spinning out of control before exploding
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

That's because, as I recall, the projectiles accounted for one pulse of the beam, rather than firing the beam itself.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
That's because, as I recall, the projectiles accounted for one pulse of the beam, rather than firing the beam itself.

Woah, that is a lot of damage in one tiny shot, I may have to go and have some fun with this now. :)

By "pulse" I mean a single peice of the beam the game uses to determine the length. I think how beams work in FS2 is that they fire a continuous stream of hitscan (that is, instant-hitting) projectiles in a straight line to gradually do a large amount of damage over time (that time being the lifespan of the beam). The projectiles you fire through the cheat weapons are single pieces of the relevant beam.

This, however, is just what I think. I'm not sure if beams work any differently, but if they worked this way that would explain the large particle affect much suiting of a full sized beam comming out of such a tiny projectile.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Easy enough to ask, right?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I mean, the thing is almost as big as a cruiser, and a Helios is even smaller than a fighter.
Actually they're bigger than most if not all fighters. :P

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
I mean, the thing is almost as big as a cruiser, and a Helios is even smaller than a fighter.

They are, wow that would look really odd if they had an external missile model. A bomb attached to a ship smaller that it. :D

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

They are, wow that would look really odd if they had an external missile model. A bomb attached to a ship smaller that it. :D

Someone aught to do that just for the grin of it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Pssst! Myrmidon with Helios!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Finally, we have an explanation for the Myrmidon's massive volume:

"The Myrm comes equipped with an internal subspace generator which magically spews out a friggin' huge warhead. Unfortunately, this subspace generator is incompatible with the GTM Harpoon. As the Helios is rarely used, however, this feature is nearly useless..."
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Now that I like. :lol:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I ment with the bomb hanging off an external rack TBP starfury style, just brings an image to me of a fighter strapped to a bomb twice its size
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Vip

I ment with the bomb hanging off an external rack TBP starfury style, just brings an image to me of a fighter strapped to a bomb twice its size

In such a situation, is the fighter carrying the bomb or is the bomb carrying the fighter ? :P
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Finally, we have an explanation for the Myrmidon's massive volume:

"The Myrm comes equipped with an internal subspace generator which magically spews out a friggin' huge warhead. Unfortunately, this subspace generator is incompatible with the GTM Harpoon. As the Helios is rarely used, however, this feature is nearly useless..."

Have you posted that in the Nodimrym thread yet, I think there is an argument going on about that there.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
No but I just quoted it there. :P

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
where does that come from?
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Actually thinking about it how long is the Boanageres, it's not that long, so its huge bomb hold is also a bit off, perhaps.