11 (39.3%)
Wing Commander 4
7 (25%)
Wing Commander 5
3 (10.7%)
Other
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Your favorite Wing Commander game  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Your favorite Wing Commander game
With the progress done since the release of the Prologue we all are thinking about the gameplay and how to make it better. So tell us, which Wing Commander game is your all-time favorite and tell us why? What makes it so special gameplay-wise?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Your favorite Wing Commander game
Wing Commanders 1 & 2 with 2 being perhaps slightly better. Dunno if it was in the gameplay but the plot and the general feeling while playing early WCs were awesome.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
interesting - I consider Wing Commander 4 to be the best. Perhaps THE reason, why missiles are so deadly?  :drevil:

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
I prefer WC3. WC4 was also very good but I prefer fighting Kilrathi.  :)

But ahh... It's difficult, because I liked WC1 also....  and 2....  and Prophecy, although it wasn't that good. But still ok... yeah....
I like all of them  :)
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
I liked WC4. Good story.
I did not like the end of WC3. The final mission, ending with the destruction of Kilrah with a small bomb... naaaahh   :doubt:

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Which reminds me: did you play WC3 on PSX? They cut the final part of the mission and replaced it with cinematic :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
I played SuperWingCommander (= WC1+SecretOps), WC3 and WC4 on a Mac. I remember that i dropped the bomb and then the final movie started...   

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
yeah, that's right, on PSX they had to remove ground missions... in my oppinion it improved the gameplay :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I prefered WC3 as the best game. Nice movies and engine technology (for that time), and the kilrathi war was the interesting part in the WC-Universe (that's why I like WC1+2 storywise, but I totally dislike the shipdesign and models, though there is now Klavs to give hope for that).

Also something I definitly liked about WC3 is .................RACHEL   :D

Usually I don't go after blondes, but she is damn cute (at least the young one in WC3)     *****rrrroaarrr*****  ;7

walks away to take a cold shower
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:23:39 pm by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Captain Moran

• WCS Voice Actor
Having been a gamer now for well over 20 years I've begun to appreciate the difference between game and glitz.

I play a LOT of older games simply because, after awhile, the need for eye candy fades and I just want to have a game that pulls me in and suspends my disbelief for a bit.

WC1 did that for me and it will always hold a special place in my gaming history. "Talk to ICEMAN"

Saga has the potential to do that as well. I've seen how much work goes into the story and missions and those elements compliment the good graphics, not compete with them.

Moran out.
They are not toys. They are collectables.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I am torn between WC3 and 4. I like both games a lot...still my favorit carrier is the Tigers Claw ^_^
Every of the WC games had its good and bad sites...still when WC3 came out I couldn't belive what I saw and played it two times in  a row.
WC4 had a more interesting storyline IMO but I didn't had the same feeling as I had in WC3...that might be because WC3 set the standart and WC4 just addit little to it but wasn't that jump you had between WC2 and 3.

The WC game I mostly disliked was WC5. It had some nice ideas but it was inconsequential. The Nephilim where just big talk with everyone going "we will all die" but in the end they where just target practice. Even on nightmare level it wasn't as challanging as the other where. In every other WC game I remeber something that gave me a headache.
WC1 with the Gratha and Jalthi I realy hated fighting against.
WC2 had the Epee and bombing runs that could get you killed in a second.
WC3 not to able to avange Angle but that you have to withdraw and then the lose of the Behemoth was kind of  a surprise the first time. At that point I thought that I had finished the game. ^_^
WC4 That its was overall harder to hit anything. Was the first time that I used missiles.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
There is just one thing about WC4 that I do not like (apart from Tolwyn's fate obviously :)) - you are forced to defect. I would 've loved to stay with the Confederation to the very end :D

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Meh, I rather sympathize with the border worlds :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

really love this mod..especially since its made less "twitchy" than btrl or the B5 mods

wc1 was my favorite..got one of those spanky new hi density 5 1/4 disk drives just so i could play it back in the early 90s..from the start when the silhouette of the orchestra came up you KNEW you were in for something special

45 yr old gamer ..knew d&d when it was chainmail.. i applaud you..

Favorite Wing Commander Game for me is Wing Commander IV.

But i have a special relation to Wing Commander I, it was my second game i've ever played, right behind Frontier - Elite II.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Phenix

WC3 had the best story :D.....I would like tgino replay it some day using wc:saga engine.... :nod:

wait, I could be wrong, but wasn't there a Wing Commander Armegeddon or something like that?

Anyway, I've only played 4 and 5, but I'd say 4 was the one I liked more.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Armada, perhaps? :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

perhaps.  Although Armageddon rings a bigger bell.  IDK it was years ago that I heard of it.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline The_Maestro

• Down Kitty!
Hmm...I didn't come into the series until 3, and I thought the cinematics were great, but the game play was okay.  The excaliber rocked though, looking forward to "sticking" one of those again!

Four I thought was REALLY well done from the plot, to the cinematics, to the combat - I loved that cloaking dragon fighter - it was mean and nasty looking as was armed to the teeth.

Five I thought the script was terrrible (too many Top Gun plot rip offs), but I have to admit the sets and acting were't too bad within the constraints they had to work with.  However, I did enjoy the newer high end fighters like the Panther and the Vampire, which thrust vectoiring engines were just a fantastically novel design.  I also enjoyed the missle lock on eye candy, and the better job on the technical aspects of a military standpoint i.e, the introduction of the SWACS ship akin to the AWACS c4 aircraft of today. 

However, the WCS Prologue exceeded my expectations in a tremendous amount of areas - the script is very well done, the clowing around banter is pretty realistic, and the "look and feel" is spot on for the series all the way around.  Kudos to all of the team!
Welcome to the midddddddway!