Author Topic: Because the subspace thread got too big...  (Read 19817 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Because the subspace thread got too big...
Originally posted by Antares
The second one has a little more variety, but the bright areas look a little -too- bright to me--I'd think something like that would be distracting in a battle.  If those white regions could be toned down, and perhaps the 'light' at the end of the tunnel made to look like it was a little 'nearer', then I think we'd have a winner.

The size of the light is completely variable as you can make it big/small according to the sun placed there AFAIK.

At least the textures dont have any influence on it.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Sorry to break the train of compliments, but I'm not a fan - this looks more like a tunnel through blue earth or through some sort of liquid than an energy filled passage through another dimension IMO. The second one does a lot to fix that, but the whole thing still looks very...solid I guess.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Lightspeed

The size of the light is completely variable as you can make it big/small according to the sun placed there AFAIK.

At least the textures dont have any influence on it.

That's what I thought, too. But appearently, the 'suns' really aren't. They're thrusters. :doubt:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Langy
I really, really like that second one. Though, a slight suggestion: Would it be possible to use that corckscrew-style mesh someone made in the old thread, or something like it? I know that there were problems with using it due to the way it rotated or something like that, and to be honest I didn't quite understand that when I read it, but I think that it should be possible to make it the inside one that does rotate with having the second mesh be just a cylinder?

That mesh was ruled out because it didn't display properly. It had a problem in how polies facing away from you were rendered (or not rendered) and really looked :ick: in game. I may try to make a less-exaggerated version of that later, however. But not now.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Latest images:

still needs a lot of work.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
too rough....too linear as well.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
linear? O.o

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
too linear as in those rough lines are too uniform accross the entire thing. I dunno how, but it seems to ruin it o_O
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
You should see it in-game, that's not the issue.

The main issue is well, you couldnt have put it better, it's too 'rough'.

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have to commend everyone for doing this. I don't have skills in photoediting or 3D modeling, so I doubt I could contribute much, but I've been an avid FS2 player back from its early days. Love what I've been seeing in all the threads. Played Inferno....good god...

Anyway, I've been reading the subspace threads and I think what's shown is a vast improvement over the stock effects. Some people are saying to make it more eerie and mysterious. I agree, and the above post I think is a good step.

if I remember correctly, I heard the subspace model is actually two rotating cylinders spinning in opposite directions. What if you all use the map of the cloak effect (CarL's?) on the outer cylinder and use Lightspeed's map above, I guess after it's smoothed out or whatever is planned? Just a thought.

I had another idea for the subspace effect. In the anime series 'Cowboy Bebop', they use jumpgates. The effect is really neat, as it seems like a bunch of blastlines moving at high speeds. Would that be achievable? Or would it not be as mysterious as you all would want it?

EDIT: Sorry...meant Sandwich's version...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 10:48:20 am by 1828 »
You're gonna carry that weight...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
It wouldnt be subspace.

And the screenies I posted actually do use 2 textures :)

Damn, the replies are quick...

yeah, I see that they use two textures. I was just saying that the outer one could be Sandwich's variety with the lightning ripple effect...or would that be too much?
You're gonna carry that weight...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I think that'd look a bit untidy :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I like how Ls is making this. It has a strange feel to it. I think if it were maybe darker?

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
I like the latest picture in terms of light/dark contrast.  It doesn't look quite as bright as your second attempt, which makes it easier to look at.

I agree with the others; the walls of the tunnel look too much like solid material, as if you were boring through the ground.  The effect might look better if those surfaces were smoothed, or made to look more gaseous--like clouds as opposed to water.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
My intention was to give it a liquid-ish feel, but I agree i'll have to fiddle around with it a bit still...

The walls indeed look a bit too solid, that's one of my main problems.

I'll just give the textures a few more goes in PSD, and see what comes out of it.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Perhaps if it rippled more, the water effect might be improved.

Offline J3Vr6

Deep large ripples would look cool, if that was possible.  Ones that came from the front and flowed towards the back.  Not all the time, but once in a while.  Consider it like a distortion?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Say... speaking of ripples... is there any way to make it "pulse" from one end to the other from "behind" you to "infront of you"? To create the impression that energy of some kind of surging from one end to the other.. sort of like the currents of a tide...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
If you want me to consider any of it an improvement, get rid of the black!!  When i think energy/dimensional tunnel thingy, i see bright swirling colors WITHOUT BIG BLACK BLOTCHES!!!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D