Author Topic: Because the subspace thread got too big...  (Read 19812 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Because the subspace thread got too big...
Originally posted by Turambar
thers STILL BLACK SPLOTCHES!!!!

GET RID OF THEM!!!

Mod it yourself then, nobody else seems to find them an issue :)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by DaBrain
Can you add another mesh in the tunnel ?

I would like to see an (fake) glare effect. Somehow like this:

nice edit of my image. I was trying to get something like that to work as well, but it doesn't - the texture is tiled too much.

Plus, i'd need a third mesh, something I dont have :doubt:

I'll work on it some more today and see what I can come up with.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Out of interest, does the game render the "normal" space box as well as the subspace model when you're playing subspace missions? It strikes me that if it does and you never see it, this outer box could be modified to be a low poly black box, or even removed, so that the subspace model itself could be as detailed or could run as smoothly as possible... not to mention the possilibity of adding other model aspects to the subspace model in place of the lost "normal" space box.

Just a thought...

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Lightspeed

nice edit of my image. I was trying to get something like that to work as well, but it doesn't - the texture is tiled too much.

Plus, i'd need a third mesh, something I dont have :doubt:

I'll work on it some more today and see what I can come up with.

The third mesh (to place in the inside), shouldn't be moving.
And it should have an untiled, single texrure.

BTW, are you able to add glowpoints to the model ?
That would look awsome. But the should never touch the model.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by DaBrain

The third mesh (to place in the inside), shouldn't be moving.
And it should have an untiled, single texrure.

BTW, are you able to add glowpoints to the model ?
That would look awsome. But the should never touch the model.

While the first part makes sense and would certainly look cool i'm quite puzzled at what the second thing should mean.

glowpoints? :wtf:

I don't quite see how they'd help anything there.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Turambar
i don't care, all i want is to not see black splotches.  and this "other layer" better not be black!

:wtf: Dude, this subspace is no more black than the normal subspace. If you want a new version with no blackness, you should make one for yourself. :yes:

Originally posted by Urban Cowboy
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have to commend everyone for doing this. I don't have skills in photoediting or 3D modeling, so I doubt I could contribute much, but I've been an avid FS2 player back from its early days. Love what I've been seeing in all the threads. Played Inferno....good god...

A belated welcome to HLP then, Urban Cowboy. :) I'm just overjoyed to see more people who enjoy the game come out of the woodwork and get involved with the community. It's a beautiful thing, when everyone is coming together and enjoying making this game better. :nod:

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Lightspeed
glowpoints? :wtf:

I don't quite see how they'd help anything there.

From what I read on the other thread the Subspace model has glowpoints at both ends of the tunnel.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian

Notice that on the new pofs, the walls look much more solid.  If the number of times the texture is tiled on the Raa's new pof could be reduced, it would help a lot to fix the "solid wall" effect.

That's an easy fix. I'll do it tonight. how many times does the texture run along the original mesh, BTW? Mine has 3 repeats, but I guess that's too much.

Originally posted by karajorma

From what I read on the other thread the Subspace model has glowpoints at both ends of the tunnel.

No.

It has thruster points. As does mine. Glowpoints are an FSO feature, are they not?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
They are. Though, theyre a dead-born feature as they can't do anything looking good. If at any point size changes and fading are implemented they will actually become useful. But as they are now, all they can do is annoy you.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, let me explain how subspace should look:

[list=1]
  • Make a fist
  • Forcefully insert fist through monitor glass
  • Remove fist before the blood obscures the electron guns
  • Position one eye in front of newly-made hole in monitor
  • Look into electron gun beams for 24.6 seconds.
  • Take a screenshot of what you see
  • Post the screenshot here

Note: You might want to print these instructions out in case you forget a step, since step 2 will render your monitor unusable.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h

That's an easy fix. I'll do it tonight. how many times does the texture run along the original mesh, BTW? Mine has 3 repeats, but I guess that's too much.
I'm not sure, but I'd guess two.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Sandwich, I followed your advice, and took a snap of the next thing I saw after holding up my eye to the broken electron gun..... So you want subspace to look like the inside of a hospital? ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 01:41:13 pm by 394 »

ROFL

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re-Download File On First Page
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Originally posted by Setekh

:wtf: Dude, this subspace is no more black than the normal subspace. If you want a new version with no blackness, you should make one for yourself. :yes:

I'm tempted.  There was this cool looking thing in the nebula thread I remember, I'll post a link later.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Well I tried using subspace with a skybox set for the mission and absolutely nothing happened (i had hoped for the subspace to overlay itself over Omniscaper's Mars Orbit Skybox, but it did not work). (Oh well.)

During my experimentation however, I found something cool: set the skybox of a mission to one of the Subspace POF files, and you get a non-rotating version of Subspace with no sound changes and no lights at the tunnel ends. It looks very, very weird.

Next up, I'll be experimenting with nebulae + subspace :)

Offline Starks

Can someone explain how skyboxes are different from traditional backgrounds?
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Anaz

It's a box. With sky textures on it.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Nice work Lightspeed. However, something about it just doesn't sit well with me. I think its the dark textures, though I will admit that it looks very close to the original (in a good way). I think that when you go with a lighter overall texture (like the new ones in the previous thread, I think by Carl), it feels more "powerful" or something along those lines.

That, and what I also liked about the old new (previous thread) version, was how it had the "lightning" texture, which was very appropriate. Yours however had the advantage of looking "solid" as opposed to "energy-like".

....And I'm fairly certain that made no sense at all, but then again, most of what I say doesn't.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Todays version of subspace:

I'm not yet sure if i like it - so I might toss this one completely.