Author Topic: Simulating gravity  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Fodder

Simulating gravity
I was wondering if gravity could be simulated by having a moving ground.  It would be like the ground in Raider War's Valkrie map but it would move towards you.  This way, you cant just hover midair over a target.  If you stop, you'll crash into the ground (9.8m/s^2?).  Maybe a sound clip that goes "Too low, terrain" should be inserted (its used in passenger planes).

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
What about the expodential increase of speed when you fall?

FS2 was designed for space!

Offline -Norbert-

And if your able to hover over the ground depends on the ship your in.
Nials for example can do that.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
There are plenty more reasons why it's a bad idea. Let's see how many we can come up with.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Collisions would be constant if you used a physically moving object, as opposed to one big, damaging collision and then you're no longer taking damage.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sparrow

For not mention the AI unnable to handle that..

Apart, StarFurys Aurora and Badger cant handle atmosferic flight, Thunderbolts, Nials, Frazys and the crap raider thing can. That asteroid doesnt appear enought big to create a notable gravity field  wich couldnt be compensated by inflight computers.

For example there is an episode where two starfuries match the station rotation perfectly, in the Lurker guide JMS or someone said starFuries have 250 year more advanced computers than now, they can auto-compensate rotations and other things, like small gravities to allow pilot concentrate in their job

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by IPAndrews
There are plenty more reasons why it's a bad idea. Let's see how many we can come up with.

Because you'd have to constantly pull up if you wan't to stay on the same "altitude". And that wouldn't qualify as "fun" in my book.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea