Author Topic: Battlefield 2142  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I read about this in PC Gamer about 2 months back and realised that i hadn't bothered looking for footage. I've found some and am now sharing it.....

Wet pants with anticipation time? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_t6g0VLLY0
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'll be honest.. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. Here's why:

BF2 - while not brand new anymore - is still a very active game. Yet somehow a number of quiet serious glitches and problems have yet to be fixed including dropped connections and hacks within the game. A lot of us have all had problems with EA before and this is sadly one more example of them preferring to focus on getting a new game out than providing proper support for the existing one.

Given that BF2142 is built on the same engine as BF2, I fear that existing problems may be carried over - as well as new ones. As much as I enjoy BF style gameplay, I don't want to hand over my money freely before I've tried the new game as - if its as bad as I fear - it might simply be a new set of models and maps with the same gameplay and problems as BF2. Hardly worth my £30/40 then.

So yes - good as it looks - I'll be trying it or playing a demo of it before I buy.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Oh of course, by all means, I for one always try and play a demo before i even consider purchase investments.
I think 2142 looks more appealling than most mechy games at the moment, If for example chrome hpounds had offline multiplay, i would buy it immediately as a few relatives and mates all meet up for beer barbecue lan parties now and then.
I like BF2 as we all do when it runs well. 2142 adds a terminator'esque twist whcih looks quite nice. but as you sa it may jsut be new models so we will have to wait and see. :D
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
*Spits*

The Battlefield series, awesome as it was, died with BF2.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Battlefield series was stillborn.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'm surprised i thought a few more guys would be more interested in this.
Vietnam was quality, 2 isnt too bad, but 2142 looks quite good. :D
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
BF2 was worse than working..........why do I have to shoot 12,000 people with my completely inaccurate (more inaccurate with iron sights)gun in order to use another 'special' kind of gun?

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I could understand that premise untill I found out that the guns really were firing randomly within a cone rather than relying on any real kind of accuracy. If I miss - I want it to be because I missed - not because the computer thought I should.

What I'd really really love them to do - and I know it's unlikely - is revisit BF1942 with a brand new graphics engine etc. but keep the gameplay mechanics (more or less) as they were. I became rather godlike with the engineers rifle and enjoyed the game immensly. Making it look good could only improve on that.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I could understand that premise untill I found out that the guns really were firing randomly within a cone rather than relying on any real kind of accuracy. If I miss - I want it to be because I missed - not because the computer thought I should.

Just look to the Project Reality mini-mod. For now, it's the best realistic mod I've played on Battlefield 2. America's Army was great but I hate the round system which lets you wait until the end of the round to play.

A little description about PRMM, one shot, and you're dead. Or, if you're hit somewhere else than critical vital point, so you lose blood until your death. If you won't stop the bleeding with the help of the medic, your health progressively decrease until you dead yourself.

If you want to play on some PR server, just go here. Recently, I played in the iGi and the GloryHoundz server (I have the same nickname, so if you find me ^^).

Edit : In PRMM, you have to use the IronSight if you want to hit someone. Without Ironsight, you can't make any precise damage. All vehicules have also a limited ammunition, the sound is totally review and now reproduce the real one.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:33:10 pm by MetalDestroyer »

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
BF2 was worse than working..........why do I have to shoot 12,000 people with my completely inaccurate (more inaccurate with iron sights)gun in order to use another 'special' kind of gun?

So, that's how it works?

As for BF2142, EA and DICE should fix their existing problems before creating new ones.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That's a point I made just now on the Planet Battlefield forums. I fired up BF2 for the first time having returned from my holiday just now.. and in the last half hour I've been dumped to desktop twice and crashed out to the server selection screen once due to a "bad connection". They're working to release patch 1.4 for BF2. It had better fix the problems.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

What I'd really really love them to do - and I know it's unlikely - is revisit BF1942 with a brand new graphics engine etc. but keep the gameplay mechanics (more or less) as they were. I became rather godlike with the engineers rifle and enjoyed the game immensly. Making it look good could only improve on that.

I found it actually less accurate using the ironsights, too; I actually experimented for a bit and more or less doubled my hitrate by shooting the 'wrong' way.

That's ignoring that every patch released seems to need a rollback patch to fix the bugs it introduces.  Maybe if they made the game properly rather than spent their time on overpriced 'booster' packs...

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
That's a point I made just now on the Planet Battlefield forums. I fired up BF2 for the first time having returned from my holiday just now.. and in the last half hour I've been dumped to desktop twice and crashed out to the server selection screen once due to a "bad connection". They're working to release patch 1.4 for BF2. It had better fix the problems.
I had almost the exact same experience. When it first came out, I got my copy [via a cheap deal] even though I couldn't run it at the time. A few months later, when I finally had enough scratch to upgrade, I fired up BF2 almost right away... it took 2 and half hours to get into a game, going through three reinstalls, multiple reboots, and even then I had a nasty Punkbuster problem that kicked me after about 20 minutes of play. Keep in mind, this is with the 1.2 patch, which I was told was the best patch they had released at that time.

In one day, I went from rabidly anticipating playing what I thought was going to be a damned good game and a worthy successor to BF1942, to loathing EA, BF2, and what had become of my beloved Battlefield franchise.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The annoying thing, I thought, about BF2 is that it's a good game ruined by stupid decisions.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Agreed.

On the surface of it, it's not that bad. But I just finished writing a list of suggestions/fixes/tweaks for the new patch and realised that actually the list I have is pretty damn big for a game this late into its development. A lot of what I have isn't a new idea - it's a fix or a tweak that should've been made some time ago.

Since BF2142 will be the furthest from the "real world" that we've seen so far. It had better be a good game on a technical basis or else the player will feel alienated and upset at the constant problems.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I have no intention of buying BF2142 anyways, but I can't help but think they'll be a lot of jetpack bunnyhopping popping up...

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Oh, yeah, while most of the problem is on the developer's hands, there are some definite issues with the community. Again, the BF1942 [and subsequent DC & FH communities] were just a hell of a lot nicer than what i've seen in BF2. In previous titles, having someone on your own team shoot you in the back to get an aircraft of vehical was a problem you usually only heard about, now it's happening in your server, on your team, and to you. The crappy community'll most likely leapfrog over to 2142, so there is no doubt in my mind that you'll be shot in the back for even straying near one of those fancy Mechs.

Nothing destroys online games more than shoddy development and ****ing kids.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Isn't that the truth... although I have to admit I'm guilty of "vengence" killings myself. What do I mean by that? I mean I'll TK someone who TKs me.

I know it's not the ideal approach, and the best way is to stay the hell away from them and play on, but sometimes it's easy to get too antagonised and just want to vent some frustration on the useless SOB that just shot you in the back for a plane.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I find a more effective manner of vengeance is to simply wound them or damage their vehical greatly, thereby sabotaging their ability to fight effectively, and possibly enticing them to shoot you, which would quickly be followed by a second ptk and rightly-deserve kicking. :)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
In previous titles, having someone on your own team shoot you in the back to get an aircraft of vehical was a problem you usually only heard about, now it's happening in your server, on your team, and to you. The crappy community'll most likely leapfrog over to 2142, so there is no doubt in my mind that you'll be shot in the back for even straying near one of those fancy Mechs.

Nothing destroys online games more than shoddy development and ****ing kids.

Well, I agree in that statements. But since I discover and played the Project Reality Mini Mod, the f***ing kids aren't there. There is no heavy vehicules, no aircrafts. I play and continue to play it but just Project Reality. Project Reality have there own ranked server but unfortunately you can't unlock new set of weapons. In another hand, the PRMM is only at the version 0.31 but at least, there is no teamkiller.
There is also a great Teamplay in Project Reality (with VoIP or not).

So, if you want to play BF 2 without to be piss off by stupid guys, just put PRMM. You won't regret it after you try it.

About BF 2142, I will buy it for the only reason there is a new mode (Titan) and there are a several Meccha. Otherwise, I'll take it for the Star Wars mods (FirstStrike).