Author Topic: Fenris cruisers  (Read 83578 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Yes, but the only existing frigate was built to outrun ships, had shielded subsystems, armed like a destroyer, and even fashioned to break through blockades. That's a ship worth studying, now if only bosch had put a fighterbay in the back of it :drevil:
However that's true destroyers are far more cooler. But why not have the gtva invest in frigates? They decided to invest in corvettes and had a very good outcome, and a corvette is only bigger than a cruiser.

If they added a fighterbay, then it would be a destryoer. A corvette is only bigger than a cruiser, a frigate would be only bigger then a corvette, a destroyer would be bigger then all of these and own the battlefield (a true destyoer, really, an actual Orion sucessor).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 09:18:54 am by Sarafan »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Orion doesn't "own the battlefeild" it has strong anti-capital weaponry but  poor bomber protection. The result is a ship that can take out almost everything but can be taken out by a Medusa and a Hygeia (okay, maybe two squadrons of bombers.

I made a mission where an Orion launched it's full complement against me, 12 at a time, I wouldn't say it was easy, but I had destroyed 3/4ths of the complement in 15 minutes.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WEll I believe it would be rather hard for the GTVA to produce a good succesor to the Orion.

I mean look at the Hecate the newest, "baddest" thing in the fleet yet from a destroyer point of view its the mother of all f**kups. It has no real firepower mounted on it. However it is the mother of all carriers so far. Very good AAAf defences and a big spacecraft payload. Its fast and has a very good C&C abilaty.

However if the GTVA would enbark on an endevour to crese a succesor for the ORION then it must have at LEAST the same raw firepower that the Orion has with good AAAF defences. Not as good as the Hecate maybe but good so that fighters and bommbers do net represent the greatest threat to it.

Look at the Hecate the most danger didnt came from fighters or bommbers it actualy came form other warships. The Hecate smashed those shivan bommber wings and fighter wings like they were bugs. Sure it got somewhat damaged in the battle but still it could of handeled the bommbers etc.

It would have to have at least the same HP as the Hatsheepsuit class which ahs like what 30-35% more hp then the Hecate and the Orion?

Also about the frigate class.....errr.....how big was the Iceni in fact?? Hell even with its limited AAAF defences I would much rather have one of those on mi side then against me. WEll maibe a few more moders aaaf turrets wont hurt. Those old ones really do suck big time. Maibe replace them with more modern ones and you have already improved the design.

Friggates would be like pocket destroyer's.......errrr without the fighterbay. From a beam cannon point of view. Or maibe like pocket battleship's but that is really stretching since battleships are desingded for raw firepower and lost of it.

Also whoevr imagines the Deimos as actualy beeing a pocket-battleship please do me a favor and think again. The deimos like the Hecate is missing at least one BG. Well the Hecate has one but it really needs like 3 of them.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The Deimos is still capable of giving some serious damage- maybe one alone won't beat out a destroyer, but it'll sure damage one.

What's a Frigate?

GTC Fenris:      Cruiser class     253M     8,000
GTC Leviathan: Cruiser class     253M   35,000
GTC Aeolus:     Cruiser class     272M   38,000
GTCv Deimos:   Corvette class  717M   80,000
NTF Iceni:        Frigate class    998M   90,000

Proportional Lengths
------------------------- F
------------------------- L
--------------------------- A
----------------------------------------------------------------------- D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I

Proportional Hit points
-------- F
----------------------------------- L
-------------------------------------- A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I

F = Fenris
L = Leviathan
A = Aeolus
D = Deimos
I = Iceni

comments
So really the Fenris should be in a "Light Cruiser" category, while the Iceni is truely in a class of its own, and this graph doesn't even show total combined (beam) firepower.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:38:53 am by Mars »

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umm isnt the Iceni a frigate? or whatever its spelled.

I think you are right about the fenris should be put in a lighcruiser role.

Iest the Deimos can inflict some damage to...the Hecate perhaps or to something else but when facin like what 3 vasudan beams or 2 BG from an orion it's well screwed. The DEimos really need one big beam cannon in order to be efective.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Umm isnt the Iceni a frigate? or whatever its spelled.
Quote from: Mars
NTF Iceni:        Frigate class    998M   90,000
That was the entire point of that post, there was some confusion over the frigate class.
I think you are right about the fenris should be put in a lighcruiser role.

Iest the Deimos can inflict some damage to...the Hecate perhaps or to something else but when facin like what 3 vasudan beams or 2 BG from an orion it's well screwed. The DEimos really need one big beam cannon in order to be efective.
That's true, but I'm not sure a single large beamed corvette (monitor) would be the solution.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:14:54 am by Mars »

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
never said a single large beam corvette. I said the DEimos need a large beam.

You could get rid of the 2 slashers in the front and mount a BG over there and leave the slashers on the side. Now that would be one awesome looking corvette. And it could inflict some good damage even take out a Hecate.

Well not sure about the taking out of a destroyer part but still in theory in coud work.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The total beam firepower (sustained damage per second for all beams on a ship, including AAA) of a Deimos is 1380, a Hecate's is 2204, so the Hecate only outbeams a Deimos by 824, if you use total combined firepower (total damage per second for all weapons mounted on a ship) , the Deimos is up to 3049, and Hecate is up to 3811.3, so really, a Deimos can theoretically rival a Hecate (although this is only under optimum conditions, and in reality, probably not.)

Offline Nuclear1

The Deimos actually might have the advantage, since it concentrates its firepower in the front or either broadside, where the Hecate has its beams spread out all over the hull.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I've always figured an Orion follow-on class as a sort of logical conclusion for the GTVA; they need something with that supercap flag on its weapons. It would sacrifice most of its fighters (maybe just two-three squadrons of space superiority or interceptors) for the ability to sustain overcharge fire with its BGreens.

EDIT: The Hecate's firepower is deceptive; the BGreen, mounted so far forward, does not cover a whole 180-degree arc. It leaves more of the ship exposed then that. So really, the chances of a Deimos outgunning a Hecate purely on beam-based firepower are somewhat better then half.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:22:50 pm by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
The GTVA should build a new destroyer so it would a ''counterpart'' of the Hecate, it should focus on anti-capital ship role with adequate defenses and with enough fighter carring capacity for protection and to help take out anything larger or more numerous enemies.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umm thats what i said. The Orion aide from its poor aaaf defenses is really a very good ship. Even if its got a 1/3rd smaller fighterbay 100 spacecrafts is really good enough.

The next ship would be somewhat bigger then an orion maybe 10 or 200 metters larger but with good aaaf defences a 100 place fighterbay and s**tloads of beam cannons. Well not that many but powerfull ones nonetheless. With the option to overload them without actualy loosin 20% hull integrity.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Isn't the definition of overload "to be subject to a greater than was designed for"?

Offline Roanoke

For the record, in WW2 terms a frigate was originally developed as a super corvette.

But we all know how messed up FS2 names are.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mars i dont think i follow your post can you be a little more detailed please!
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
A good armament would be 7 or 6 anti-capital ship beam canons, the same defensive armament of the Hecate (at least close to that), less or the same fighter capacity of the Orion (at the very least 50 fighter wings), more armor (that collapsed-core molybdenum sheathing of the Deimos can be a good idea to implement) and it could be powered by vasudan reactors (it should I think).

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
What's so bad about tossing a fighterbay in the back of a hecate :p The shivans do it with a flimsy corvette called a moloch, and i was like, what the **** that thing's going to like launch 1 squadron and be done with. A frigate could easily do a lot more fighters, probably something like 3 or 4 squadrons. Yes a frigate is a class above a corvette, but a corvette is above the class of a cruiser, and so on. There wouldn't be no point to building frigates, idk why it's being dismissed as such, like i said before, obviously the gtva struck the gold mine on going with a ship class slightly bigger than cruisers. I know it'd do the same with frigates :nod: Frigates do like a much better job than a sobek does(play inferno), that thing where a single ship takes on an armada ;7
How messed up fs2 names are? There's not confusion, it seems obvious, fenathan, deimos, iceni, orion. Classed in the correct order going up from size. I don't see why the iceni wouldn't be considered a super-corvette/frigate anyway, it's clearly bigger than a corvette, and obviously smaller than a destroyer. But, we all do know that the gtva is addicted to tiny ships. A few destroyers, lots of cruisers and corvettes, and a bunny ****ing load of fighters. The usual offensive setup of a cruiser or corvette with fighters and bombers. I'm still annoyed by the fact that only destroyers can deploy fighters. Shivans don't give a ****, they'll have a corvette with a fighter bay. Hell, even something minimal like a faustus launching 2 or 3 perseuses would be cool(it can hold about that many, and has a launch bay). I still don't know why bosch didn't put a fighterbay on the back of the iceni. The iceni has the space, and being able to generate you're own support, or provide support with fighters is a very powerful thing.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Isn't the definition of overload "to be subject to a greater than was designed for"?

Yes, but I never said it would like doing it. Just that it could sustain it. The deck force would probably hate you for a few weeks afterward...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
The space on the Iceni was probably fully occupied with other things like the ETAK. S-99, you're addicted to fighter bays, arent you? :)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
No, just pissed off at how many launch bay less ships there are. Destroyers do it, the only other ship that does is a moloch corvette. But, you could however redesign a new iceni class frigate with a fighterbay, they won't be bothering with a secret etak project onboard like the iceni. :D
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.