Author Topic: RELEASE: Inferno 20th Anniversary Edition  (Read 15721 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: RELEASE: Inferno 20th Anniversary Edition
Thanks thanks THANKS! I have been hoping for this for....    well...    decades.
I just played missions 1 to 4 (medium) and now I feel even older. This is a great release. Thanks again.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline CT27

It looks like this was updated to version 1.5 in both the FSO Installer and Knossos.  If I may ask, what was updated (was it the size issue I mention next sentence)?

Also, I noticed that the folder for the campaign significantly reduced in size (when I last downloaded Classic about a couple weeks ago it was over 1GB, now it's ~400MB).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Nehebkau was changed back to the Het-ka, albeit a slightly modified Het-ka.  And now the version numbers are in sync.

Offline Vidmaster

Does anyone have any advice on how to beat "Intangible Factors"?
It's a very difficult mission, and it was difficult back in 2003 too.  (In fact, if early threads are accurate, this mission was actually toned down from its pre-release version.)
What I've found helps is to use your wingmen.  A lot.

I have reached this one too by now, and I think it is a bit broken. I have been sending Gamma and Epsilon to protect the Carrier while hand-managing Alpha and Beta to directly engage bomber wings, splitting them when required.
Note: I am on InfernoClassic-1.5.0 with a FSOpen 23.0 on Win64, I have also loaded in MVPS-4.6.8 behind Inferno.

1.) my ship seems to be invulnerable in this mission, likely a flag leftover from testing. Try sending your Wingmen off and let the EA fighters kill you...    or not.

2.) after moving the difficulty down to very easy, I have found that it helps not one tiny bit...

3.) the mission has a lot of dialog that triggers, including dialog from the carrier about the engines being repaired, after the vessel has been destroyed (or maybe time scaling still has issues)

Can someone confirm?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 07:32:38 am by Vidmaster »

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I never changed the difficulty after creating a pilot. Easy, I think. Beat the mission with the carrier at 4%.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Vidmaster

Okay, so it is possible. Somehow  :rolleyes:

What I find interesting is this old walkthrough, which seems to indicate that the mission at some point allowed changing one's loadout.
Alternative secondaries would allow sniping of bombers earlier or even reducing the damage the carrier takes at the beginning of the mission.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 07:36:33 am by Vidmaster »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I looked at the original version of the mission.  It is a Scramble mission, just like the most recent version.  It also gives Alpha 1, as well as all of Theta wing, the "invulnerable" flag.  Theta wing becomes vulnerable after the Nemesis jumps out though.

The mission also sends the "Engines repaired" message regardless of whether the Rhemet is alive or dead, so I will upload a fix for that.  I'll also remove the "invulnerable" flag from Alpha 1.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 07:57:25 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline CT27

The campaign on the FSN page was updated recently to 1.5.4.

Two questions for Goober on this:
1-Out of curiosity, what was in the most recent fix/update?
2-Can this be put on the Installer too?  I checked the Installer yesterday and it only had Inferno Classic up to 1.5

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The most recent fixes are the ones listed above, which brought the version up to 1.5.1.  The versions since then were just re-uploads to try to work around a Knossos bug.

The FSO Installer didn't have those most recent fixes though, so I've uploaded them and changed the installer version to 1.5.4 as well.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Finished the campaign on medium (with the carrier at 1% in "Intangible Factors").

The voice acting is really good and adds a lot. In fact after a couple pf missions I didn't even notice it anymore as new, it felt close enough to retail FS2 that is just blends in nicely with the missions :yes:
Also, seeing all these retail-era models again triggered some serious nostalgia. Not all models have aged equally well, but especially the fighters/bombers by Aldo (Vesuvius/Claymore/Peregrine/Gagana) are a testament to the fact that clean lines and solid texture work go a long way to create truly iconic designs.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Finished the campaign on medium (with the carrier at 1% in "Intangible Factors").

The voice acting is really good and adds a lot. In fact after a couple pf missions I didn't even notice it anymore as new, it felt close enough to retail FS2 that is just blends in nicely with the missions :yes:

How were the briefings/debriefings?  I crave feedback, not ego boosts, I just want to get better at everything I do all the time.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
How were the briefings/debriefings?  I crave feedback, not ego boosts, I just want to get better at everything I do all the time.

Very good actually. IMO, your performance is hitting the right tone (as in: not overacted but also not just drily reading the script), so it sounds natural, or pretty much how I'd expect an officer to sound when briefing his pilots.
I mean there is still some small gap in performance compared to the professional voice actors in the vanilla campaign, mainly in the way they use variations in tone and tempo for dramatic effect, but I think that is hard to pull off without it sounding artificial.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have patched Inferno to include the $Damage Impacted Subsystem First: flag.  In the mission "Old Enemies", without this flag, firing missiles at the Scylla's forward turret will damage the "sensors" subsystem instead of the turret.  Since this might have unexpected consequences for other ships in other missions (I doubt it, but you never know), I have increased the version number to 1.6.0.  The new version is available on both Knossos and the FSO Installer.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Version 1.6.2 is uploaded with a few mission tweaks:
  • made corvettes attack Scylla in Old Enemies (you still need to disable the Scylla to prevent it from escaping)
  • guardianed Hathor beam turret in Taking the Gate
  • allow RTB to Independence fighterbay in the missions where it appears

Offline jbjhjm

LOVE the voice acting! All of the actors do very well considering none are pro speakers!

Unfortunately, I aborted my playthrough.
Stuck in that mission where the Rhemet must be protected against dozens and dozens of bombers.

Not sure if something is off with my installation or if it was planned to be a pretty much impossible mission.
Well, I tried maybe 15 times or so, turned difficulty to lowest, commanded all wings around and I think I played pretty well.
But no chance, its just too many of them, due to the sheer distances and amount of bombers and torpedoes.
Around 6:00 the Rhemet will be destroyed, each and every time.

I'm not sure how this should work or what is the intended strategy to kinda safely beat this mission.
After replaying many many times without even coming close to a success I'm fed up with it :/
A single time I managed to play through to the other frigate/destroyer jumping in, but at the same moment the Rhemet already exploded.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well, at this point I'd recommend relying on cheats to make the Rhemet invincible and/or quickly pulverize incoming bombers and bombs. I rarely, rarely use them but if that's the only way to beat very difficult missions, so be it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's doable. You just need l33t sk1llz.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
LOVE the voice acting! All of the actors do very well considering none are pro speakers!

Thanks for your kind words from the briefing guy.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, if it's really too hard, turn on cheats and ~K all the enemies.

Glad you enjoyed the voice acting. :)

Offline jbjhjm

OMG, seems I have a knowledge gap. I was not aware of FS2 having any cheats.  :eek2:
Yeah I might try again to beat them, my issue is retrying or doing it differently seems to make no distance. Not making progress to success is what makes me fed up.
One way or the other, thanks to you guys, I'll be able to overcome it and see the rest of INF Classic!