Author Topic: Memory error  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Bryan72

After starting the game and starting a mission the game shuts down and I get a popup saying out of memory.  Does anyone know what might be causing this.  I have tried shutting down everything before running the game but it doesn't seem to matter.  I currently have 320 mb ram and wouldn't think there should be a problem.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Plasma Core inserted... target "Bryan72".... OPEN FIRE!

:welcome:

Welcome to the HLP! Exits are located to the left, right, above and 5th-dimensionally. However all exits are currently blocked, except the 5D one, which no one has yet figured out how to get to. If you're really desparate to escape, try the ducts. If you run into some big, scary, red eyes, it is probably Carl, our resident Shivan. Throw him your lunch and bac away slowly, there's a 40-70% chance you'll live, depending on how many Shivan traps Carl's run into lately. Flamerthrowers, for some reason, are located under every seat, but all are inexplicably filled with holy water. Plasma rifles are stored in secure lockers on Deck 42, but only an admin, :v:, or hyperintelligent shade of blue may open them. Respect your fellow HLP members, obey the mods, and thank you for reading the really long welcome speech that all newcomers have to listen to. Good day!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
What command line options are you using? Have you experimented with different settings in the launcher? What build are you using (Is it the exe that came with TBP? If so, then head on in to the SCP forums and grab a newer one)? Does the mission load all the way, or does it crash during loading?

I'm not sure what kind of memory hog the SCP guys have turned the engine in to, and 320 isn't much. So I can't honestly say if it'll work. Someone else will be able to help you on that matter. A bit more info wouldn't hurt though...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Bryan72

Ok, I've tried changing settings but have had not change in the error.  The build I am using is 3.3 with the 3.3a patch.  The game starts fine and does not lag.  When I go into the mission simulator and chose a mission it loads about 80% then gives me the memory error.  Here is the error I've been getting.

I've never had any problems like this with other games so I can't help but wonder if its in the game or something.  Anyhow, any further thoughts are welcome.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
What build are you using (the FS2_Open version)?
Are you using OpenGL or Direct3D?
What exactly are your cmdline options?
What video card do you have?

FS2_Open is actually more memory efficient than retail FS2.  The problem is that with all of the new maps and large animations it can end up using a ton of memory.  There isn't much that we can do about that though, it's a content issue.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
TBP 3.3a runs (although not very smoothly) on an old machine of mine with 128MB RAM and a 32MB graphics card.

So, there seems to be somethig else going wrong at your end. But I've never seen that error message before :confused:

Try running with reduced eye candy. Disable glowmaps and specular lighting in the launcher to see if that helps.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea