Author Topic: Eliminating HUD.TBL  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I did Woolie, beside it was already suggested a while ago.

As for deleting the HUD.tbl, I'm against the idea.
Instead it should be made into something useful as Bobboau already said.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
But what do you think of that idea?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The problem with scaling up a texture is that you have to use quite advanced filters to improove the quality and the results may still not be satisfactory.

Scaling down a texture on the other hand doesn't suffer from that problem.

Furthermore if you want to do that in game, those filters would take up much CPU time.

If you want to temporarlyt create all the icons and ect. when starting the game, then scaling down is just as good HD wise.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Bobboau
no we can't, becase vector graphics look like **** and are hard to work with.
:)

to an extreme opinion I'll oppose an extreme exemple:

http://juniatwork.mrtio.com/index.php

I'm not talking style, I'm taking technic here. all the pics are vectorial, yup, t²hose chicks are vectorial.
Just to say that with illustrator, or even flash, you can do l33t things.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
having the game engine scale the image is not as cpu intensive as you might think. video cards are always creating scaled textures for use as mip maps, its one of the reasons we have such awesome framerates. once the image has been scaled it is stored in memory (wether it be system, video, or virtual memory) and the cpu needs not touch it again except to use it. all textures are kept loaded in memory anyway. the images would simply be scaled as part of the loading process.

as i understand the way the hud works, the ani files are used as textures on top of a hard coded 2d polygonal mesh. the mesh then deforms its self to create moving gauges such as the weapon energy gauge. i think that this mesh should be editable so that modders may create gauges anywhere on the screen they want, in any shape they want. then define how the mesh deforms.

an alternitive to rendered gauges would be pre rendered, or animated gauges. this is similar to how microsoft's flight simulators (any of them) work. they are kinda cpu intensive, but they work. you simply have frames of different gauge readings. the frame index then counts up or down. for example you could have a 100 frame animation of an afterburner energy bar the first frame shows the gauge reading 0%, the second frame indicates 1% power, the third indicating 2% and so on.  so if you have 50 percent power, then ani frame number 51 is used. of course 100 frames is a few too many, so you may only use 20 frames and round to the nearest 5%.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 12:27:47 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Nuke I was not refering to the sheer scale up of textures.
Instead I was speaking of the refining of those scaled up textures, 'casue those things can look downright bad.

BTW Freespace works preety much the same way with the anis.

The frames you were refering to are there just like that.
Check out a shield.ani you'll know what I mean.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
well venom, now i know what i'll try to do with photoshop as soon as i'll have some freetime....thanks;)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I agree that re-resolving textures would be a bad idea in-game. There are photoshop filters that could resize the current game textures, it examines the layout of colour, creates curves and treats it as a vector graphic for resizing. It's not perfect when asked to double the size of smaller textures (256 x 256) but it is possible, I suppose, to increase the resolution of the in-game textures this way and then replace the in-game ones. This would be having another zip to download on top of the glowmapes though :( And I'm not certain how much difference it would make in-game, you would probably barely notice most of the time.

Flipside :)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Hmm...I wonder.

Do these filters indeed do wonders?

If yes, then I wonder if a scaled up version of the original FS1 mainhalls could be created.

BTW a no.1 priority on my to be upgraded in FS is a resizing method for anis.

If we could put together a fairly decent resize and filter method for ani (and avis) then the whole game's outlook would be upgraded.
I think DirectX already has something, some DX guru should be asked.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 09:17:44 am by 997 »

Offline Mav

by Flipside:
And I'm not certain how much difference it would make in-game, you would probably barely notice most of the time.

On fighters,probably (except in a very near dogfight), but on capships, you'll certainly notice it; at least I think so.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)