Author Topic: Freespace Upgrade Model pics (800kb of pics)  (Read 11194 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Freespace Upgrade Model pics (800kb of pics)
compared to regular FS2 ships, all capships are between 1.5 and 2 times bigger, so they're also more heavily armed. of course that might be a problem here.
SCREW CANON!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Really wish I knew the full extent of the OTT plotline bout' now..

Without giving anything away...it goes like this.  The Shivans invade and blow stuff up :)

Oh...you probably already know that.  Sorry.

(random post of the day, week, month, year).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
jeeze, you become like DG more and more each time I sign on..
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline LAM3O

Originally posted by Unknown Target

That's my favorite fighter. :D

mine too

this is an older thread, and there may be pictures in between but I'll add my voice to saying that I think many of the Vasudan vessels could use some work. I mean, its better than I could do. There's no disputing that (until I do a model), but as a great fan of Vasudan designs I am wholly unimpressed by the few I can recognize as vasudan.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
this is an older thread, and there may be pictures in between but I'll add my voice to saying that I think many of the Vasudan vessels could use some work. I mean, its better than I could do. There's no disputing that (until I do a model), but as a great fan of Vasudan designs I am wholly unimpressed by the few I can recognize as vasudan.

[color=66ff00]All good and well but unless you're going to point out which ones and give us ideas on how you think they can be improved you may as well not have posted.

BTW This thread is pretty new. :confused:
[/color]

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Hey Look at Me! I'm completed and ready to use!

Smile! :)

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
'Twould need a retexture first methinks KT, as its based off a [V] skin, and therefore, technically, warez. I dunno how picky Maeg is planning to be though.

BTW, I like the boxy fighters venom, and they'd fit quite neatly into the arsenal of the bad guys in my plot entry :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
I don't have access to the plots, btw, so I have no info about the one you submitted ;)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by LAM3O

mine too

I'd trade my soul for that ship.:D
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Originally posted by Black Wolf
'Twould need a retexture first methinks KT, as its based off a [V] skin, and therefore, technically, warez. I dunno how picky Maeg is planning to be though.

Oh yeah.. about that. Any takers? ;7

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra

one of the best destroyer desing :yes:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Okay, here's a more informative post regarding my opinions. Now first of all, let me display the Vasudan fighters for a benchmark to my later comments.

What's to be said about these designs? If I could state out any one commonality between all of these designs, I'd say that they are flat. Flat, flat, flat. They all have low vertical profiles, even the Serapis and the Tauret. Now the Sekhmet, Bakha and the Phat are all a bit higher but they're still pretty flat.
    I also want to point out something else. Can anyone find the missile banks on half of those? The only place the missiles are prominent are on the Serapis and the Bakha. The Tauret and the Sekhmet have them too but they don't stand out as much. Now onto the new designs, first with the positives:

This is by the far the best looking Vasudan out of the entire lot. But it does look a little Shivan. And I don't think that the Sehkmet sets a precedence for Shivan designs as it came from the Hammer of Light. (it looks like the Basilisk btw)

This one is kind of interesting, but it looks more Shivan than Vasudan. From here on the ships start to move towards the a kind of "bunch of limbs connected together" look, which frankly I think is more Shivan than Vasudan. Even the advanced Vasudan designs in FS2 look like they're one piece. This ship actually reminds me of the aliens from the movie of the same name. Retexture it with Shivan images and it might be all right.

This ship is interesting, but not because it looks Vasudan. It reminds me of Prince Xizor's Virago from Star Wars (see Essential Guide to Vehicles/Vessels). And this is FS2, not star wars.

Both of these designs have several faults:
   -prominent missile banks. They look like something out of Battletech: Technical Readout 3067, a book which I own but which contains several mechs I'm not too in love with.
   -high vertical profile / no lateral profile.    -looks more utilitarian than stylish. They're both main bodies with missile pods attached (utilitarian = Terran trait).

Basically they're both exactly the opposite of every Vasudan fighter/bomber we've ever seen.

I'm not sure if this is suppose to be Vasudan or Terran. But if you round the main body more, retexture it a bit, I can see it as a passable heavy assault fighter. But certainly not a trend setter.

Frankly I'm not sure what the hell this is? Is it a fighter? I guess by that white bit at the part that's the thruster. Again the whole vertical/lateral thing is backwards here. If you moved the thruster to between the main body and the first spiky bit, and then rotate it a bit, throw some guns on that stinger part it might look  alright. Might look a bit like the SW Cloud City fighters but only in passing.

Now for the ships:

A few problems with this:
    -first of all, it looks like a limp weiner.
    -secondly, the textures do not work. I think its too white, kill the white for another biege or a darker brown. The dark brown that you have there now COMPLETELY clashes with the other two colours.

For a few positives, the aft section looks alright but I think the neck and the forward section need to be reworked. I'd say straighten the neck, and flatten out the forward. Have the forward more like an Aten Cruiser in terms of general dimensions, maybe wide at the back and tapering off towards the front. Some parts of the front could even extend to the same area of the back (not touching, but just around there). If that was done, I think it could look better. I'll do a sketch to show you what I mean.

Again, the colours chosen for the textures, especially the browns, simply do not work. Maybe try adding some more greens tones like we see in the Tauret. As for the design, I don't particularly like it either. I'm not sure what suggestions to give to improve it, but I may come up with some sketches for this one too.

I don't like this design either, but its hard to give some constructive opinions on it. First there are too many bridges, three is too much (are those untextured?). Two, more flat/less round bridges from either side (akin to the Rakshasa's forward area) might be better. I do sort of like the bit just behind the bridges, though the circle on the side could be retextured to a brown or beiege. After that section there are too many bumps, there's like an underlying section which is a wood brown and on top there are two pieces. Well two pieces is too many, if there was just the strip of brown with a one big piece behind it it would look alright. And maybe flare out the back like the Hatesphut (spl?). As for the front, I dunno, The colours all clash, those little bumpy things (turrets?), it looks a bit like some football shoulder pad with metal studs on it. I think it just needs to be rethought from scratch perhaps.

Again, a lot of the ships are moving towards a vertical profile, as opposed to the lateral profile of the Vasudan vessels in both FS games. And I think that has to be kept in mind.

Anyways, hope these comments help and I'll see about doing up some sketches

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Okay, here's a more informative post regarding my opinions. Now first of all, let me display the Vasudan fighters for a benchmark to my later comments.

What's to be said about these designs? If I could state out any one commonality between all of these designs, I'd say that they are flat. Flat, flat, flat. They all have low vertical profiles, even the Serapis and the Tauret. Now the Sekhmet, Bakha and the Phat are all a bit higher but they're still pretty flat.
    I also want to point out something else. Can anyone find the missile banks on half of those? The only place the missiles are prominent are on the Serapis and the Bakha. The Tauret and the Sekhmet have them too but they don't stand out as much. Now onto the new designs, first with the positives:

This is by the far the best looking Vasudan out of the entire lot. But it does look a little Shivan. And I don't think that the Sehkmet sets a precedence for Shivan designs as it came from the Hammer of Light. (it looks like the Basilisk btw)

This one is kind of interesting, but it looks more Shivan than Vasudan. From here on the ships start to move towards the a kind of "bunch of limbs connected together" look, which frankly I think is more Shivan than Vasudan. Even the advanced Vasudan designs in FS2 look like they're one piece. This ship actually reminds me of the aliens from the movie of the same name. Retexture it with Shivan images and it might be all right.

This ship is interesting, but not because it looks Vasudan. It reminds me of Prince Xizor's Virago from Star Wars (see Essential Guide to Vehicles/Vessels). And this is FS2, not star wars.

Both of these designs have several faults:
   -prominent missile banks. They look like something out of Battletech: Technical Readout 3067, a book which I own but which contains several mechs I'm not too in love with.
   -high vertical profile / no lateral profile.    -looks more utilitarian than stylish. They're both main bodies with missile pods attached (utilitarian = Terran trait).

Basically they're both exactly the opposite of every Vasudan fighter/bomber we've ever seen.

I'm not sure if this is suppose to be Vasudan or Terran. But if you round the main body more, retexture it a bit, I can see it as a passable heavy assault fighter. But certainly not a trend setter.

Frankly I'm not sure what the hell this is? Is it a fighter? I guess by that white bit at the part that's the thruster. Again the whole vertical/lateral thing is backwards here. If you moved the thruster to between the main body and the first spiky bit, and then rotate it a bit, throw some guns on that stinger part it might look  alright. Might look a bit like the SW Cloud City fighters but only in passing.

ok, general comment. first, OTT happened at least 100 years after capella. many reasons for that. one of them being I can get away with standard design and do my own stuff instead. I hate vasudan ships, not coz they look bad or anything, but coz they're difficult to do. In OTT, vasudan tech is based on shivan tech. that's why most vasudan ships in OTT looked a bit shivan. Like it or not. and I like to see weapons points, even if they're barely visible on original vasudan designs. call it artistic license.

1: see above

2: same

3: It is a Volition concept pic, absolutly no change were made. it also was a request, it was integrated into FS2 because I liked the ship. The smoothed version looks much better.

4 and 5: see my comment about OTT happening 100 years later, and the fact I've adapted vasudan designs to my own tastes. I happen to like vertical designs, and nobody can please everyone. Note that both those ships use special weapons anyway, and their look fit with the weapon used.

6: that's a Tau ( terran ) model. It's NOT a ship, it's a defense drone. Tau vessels have few turrets, and all are large ones. They don't have sentry guns too. Those ( pretty small ) drones are here to make up for that lack of defensive armament on capships and around instalations.

7: that ship was a request from Ace for twilight. when it was cancelled, I included it as a bonus ship, unlockable through special objectives or loop missions. something like the artemis DH. It's also a special ship, with a beam turret and a few fun things. by no means a standard vasudan fighter.

as for the capships, well, if I did them that way, it's because I wanted to.
Ok, let me put it simple: I'm DONE with OTT, I'm done with those models, I'm not changing anything ( you think it takes a few hours to make 3 complete fleets? ). If maeglamor wants to reskin them, he can feel free to do so.
Also: as I pointed before, maps on those pics are switched, missing, etc. The capships did not look like that in OTT.
about the geb: what the hell are you calling bridges? there's no visible bridge on any vasudan vessel.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
He means the connecting tubes on the ship. The 3 tubes. I think.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the only thing that makes any of them not look vasudan is the lightness of the textures and the relitive boxyness of the design, both of wich could be atributed to 110 years of hanging out with the terrans. I like the changes and sugest they be made standard for all (modern) FSU vasudan fighters, further I think that haveing clearly terran or vasudan ships should be scraped, rather I think we should only mention that some ships were designed and/or built by a (predomenantly) terran or vasudan corperation, if the GTVA is still in one pece after this amount of time the fleets should have merged more or less, meaning that all fighters/bombers should be able to acomadate ether terran or vasudan crews, rather than needing to be modifyed.

the three caps ships;
I didn't think the top or bottom ones were done by Venom, there defenantly not his best work, I do very much like the one in the middle, though the back end of it could posably use some work
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

ok, general comment. first, OTT happened at least 100 years after capella. many reasons for that. one of them being I can get away with standard design and do my own stuff instead. I hate vasudan ships, not coz they look bad or
anything, but coz they're difficult to do. In OTT, vasudan tech is based on shivan tech. that's why most vasudan ships in OTT looked a bit shivan. Like it or not. and I like to see weapons points, even if they're barely visible on original vasudan designs. call it artistic license.

100 years later? Okay, I assumed that this "upgrade project" is supposed to be like a FS3 using the SCP and happening not too long after Capella. I'd have to look a bit more into it to understand it more fully. I can see Vasudans and Terrans studying Shivan technology but I'm not sure why they'd build their ships in a similar vien shape-wise. Aside from the HoL I don't get the impression that Vasudans like Shivans so why would they build their fighters the same way?
    And don't misunderstand me, it's not that I don't like the fighter designs I've commented on, they all look pretty good. It's that I don't think they look Vasudan when compared to what we have in FS1 + 2. If I were to make a campaign with some new race featured within it, then your designs would be a good candidate for that race.

6: that's a Tau ( terran ) model. It's NOT a ship, it's a defense drone. Tau vessels have few turrets, and all are large ones. They don't have sentry guns too. Those ( pretty small ) drones are here to make up for that lack of defensive  armament on capships and around instalations.

Tau? You might want to re-consider that name. I can see Games Workshop getting on your case, especially as you're using drones as well. (Tau is some new robot/drone army for the tabletop miniature game Warhammer 40K).

Ok, let me put it simple: I'm DONE with OTT, I'm done with those models, I'm not changing anything ( you think it takes a few hours to make 3 complete fleets? ). If maeglamor wants to reskin them, he can feel free to do so.

Not at all. I've simply seen a few people comment on the pictures posted, and as I've done the same I was then asked to expand upon my rather short post which is basically what all that babbling was about.

about the geb: what the hell are you calling bridges? there's no visible bridge on any vasudan vessel.

The other guy is correct in saying that I mean the "tubes" which connect the two pieces. I was thinking bridges in the verbal sense of bridging two pieces, rather than a Command and Control centre onboard a starship.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Okay dude, we'll forgive you because you are new. (And to all the other people of whom it applies)

Here's the Deal.

Venom can out-model anyone here's ass off. He once had a might project, called Over The Top. It was set in the future.. freespace's future. He made all completely new ships for each faction, the Terrans, the Vasudans, and the other Terrans.. , and the shivans. The other Terrans were named the Tau Imperium because they were mostly like from the Tau Cygni or Tau Ceti or another sustem named Tau. Tau isn't, nor could be a copywrited name afaik. Now, these models that you see in this thread were Venom's, for use in his campaign, OTT. He decided to kill the project. Everyone Cried. But... but.. when he heard that the FSUpgrade Project was looking for models, Venom did a generous thing, and donated the models to the project, so to not make his time a total waste. The Models were not made with the FSUpgrade in mind. Venom is not going to make any changes to them, nor care if you don't like them. Most likely nobody will care if you don't like them. The only people that will matter in the carring of the Models are the people who end up actually making the project... wether it be a team or the community. In other words, there's no sense in *****ing at the moment, as nobody is really going to do anything and complaining to Venom would, if I were in his shoes, only make me wish I never did it in the first place. Not to mention Venom is well respected around here. So as Venom has said, if something about the models ain't to everyone's liking, ***** to Maeg.

Don't take this the wrong way, just as a status update and reminder.

Oh, we still haven't come up with a plotline or anything for the project yet, so untill one is chosen, our 'fs3' could be in 2600 for all we know. :nod:

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I like the 70 years after Capella time scale, we can have a buch of back story and ****, far enough in the future that you can have all sorts of cool ships but close enough that you might see a few cameos of old ships in the boon docks (probly see a lot of older freighters) and I have about three diferent plot lines that can go into this, though they arn't fully developed.
I should take what I have and PM Maeg
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together