Author Topic: Creating comm anis  (Read 2012 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I'm currently tryin' to create some new comm anis (those it the upper left corner when a message is send) for a campaign...
I've converted the needed pictures to 256 greys (8 bits per pixel) and the needed size... that I used "Descent Manager ANIBUILDER32 Version 1.0 Beta 02 (Build 05)" to create the ani-file and in aniview32 everything looks good and seems to be fine...
BUT ingame the new anis where displayed as if the source pictures had been converted to black and white...
I don't know how to proceed now...
Do I need a different programm or something? Did I convert them to the wrong color palette?

hoping for quick replies
0rph3u5

*I'm using SCP
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Ugh.  I have never liked making ANIs.

My suspician is that the pallate is incorrect, but I really can't be more specific than that.  Try extracting one of the frames of an existing comm ani and seeing what colors it uses.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Were you getting any error reports from Anibuilder when you tried to compile the video?

You're certain each frame uses the exact same palette?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
What it sounds like, to me, is exactly that. Some programs when converting files to black and white will use a standard template, however, photoshop, for example, will convert colours directly to the pallette, so despite the fact that such and such a shade of gray is colour 23 on one frame, it might be colour 47 on the next one.  ANIBuilder gets confused when this happens and Fubars the ANI.

Offline 0rph3u5

My suspician is that the pallate is incorrect, but I really can't be more specific than that.  Try extracting one of the frames of an existing comm ani and seeing what colors it uses.

checked that... my programm says: 256 colors(greys in this case) 8 bit per pixel - same thing what I gave my anis

Were you getting any error reports from Anibuilder when you tried to compile the video?

no... but when I try to get the frames down to 16 greys (4 bits per pixel) refuses to create the ani... saying something that there need to be 5 bits per pixel (but I found no palette with that)

You're certain each frame uses the exact same palette?

I think so - I used the same programm everytime... I did all changes to the images before convering them into .pcx file (nearly) simultaniously
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Which program are you using ?

Try it with IrfanView, it has an option to do a batch conversion and use the same colour palette for all images.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline 0rph3u5

I used ACD Photo Editor 3.1...

but I'll try it with IrfranView (have to get it...)

==================

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I highly recommend using Bright to do the conversions. It does a much better job that either Photoshop or Irfanview. It's a command line program and it's available from the tool section of my FAQ.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]