Author Topic: Assault fighter --WIP--  (Read 5386 times)

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
Assault fighter --WIP--
say hi to the new guy, the Federal FTF-72A "Wraith" heavy assault fighter. for use in situations when the lancer won't cut it and the saracen is to big and slow. comes with 2 interchangable gun slots, 1 perma-mounted cannon (animated), 3 missile slots and one dual Vulcan turret (i know...its funny how this fighter gets the turret when the saracen could really use one...), all weapons are external models. i'm also planning on tinkering with the manuevering thruster effects to get a nice high horse power reverse thrust feature ( thats what those 6 forward facing thrusters on the bottom are for) that will come in handy to clear that annoying bogey off you tail.

"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Mav

Re: Assault fighter --WIP--
Nice :cool: :yes: .

Lots of detail, good textures and also some ideas (reverse thrusters). It's not really my taste, but certainly well-made :) .

But just... HOW many polies did you use??? :eek2:
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Great looking ship with some add ons.

I can see you're going to do some neat things with the
animation code in the future.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Wow that is one HUGE gun!!! :eek2:
And yet the turret is puny... :drevil:
"I only miss what I don't hit."
Show me something that beats 87 BF reds and I'll show you Hateful Lies!!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The one thing that I don't like about your models is the bland burgundy-gray textures. Otherwise :yes:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
One real agressive looking space-bird.  Two things caught my eye in particular.

That main gun looks a lot like a large heavy laser from MC2 - and was the cockpit inspired by the Zeus?
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

no offense but

what are these for, anyhoo?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Darius

Excellent design.  :yes: I think your weapon popup submodels are the best thing since sliced bread. Plus I never get tired of seeing the Jackal go into afterburn :)

It looks awesome, though forgive my lack of appreciation for winged ships in space. I don't seem to understand how these animations work and your work on making them operate is equally confusing. How you manage is amazing.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline --Steve-O--

But just... HOW many polies did you use???

if i remember the count right it weighed in 12700 something polies as the grand pre-POF total

Wow that is one HUGE gun!!!
And yet the turret is puny...

the federal design bureau stuck the turret on first...and then thought to them selves..."damn, we've got to compensate for that thing"
actually it's just a bad screeny angle, the turret is bigger than it looks.

was the cockpit inspired by the Zeus?

it was actually more or less inspired by the Russian Mi-24 "hind". its a mean looking chopper and i hope that effect was carried over to the model.

no offense but what are these for, anyhoo?

just my own facton for a pet project mod. they are also out there for anybody who wants to give them a home in a campaign or such.

The one thing that I don't like about your models is the bland burgundy-gray textures. Otherwise
i kinda doomed myself with the lancer... i got the mind set that all fighters of this fation had to have some design traits in common and a uniform paint scheme. i figured the no frills colors were good... dull = non shiny, shiny = bad... kinda like having a chrome paintball gun in a woods game...it just get you shot at. but hey the paint can be changed and as long as the model rocks ten thats all that matters!

forgive my lack of appreciation for winged ships in space

normally i would agree. however i wanted these fighter to operate both in space and in atmospheric conditions, so while wings and control surfaces are useless in space, the would be a neccessary component in atmospheric flight if the techknowlodgy to eliminate them all together is lacking. speeking of which...i need to work on some planets...

thanks for the feed back and kind words!
i'm going to tidy this thing up and have it ready for beta in a day or so!
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Great work as usual.  I suppose we will be flying these in Blue Planet II? :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline --Steve-O--

i dont see why not...blue planet gave my hyperion a home!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It looks awesome, though forgive my lack of appreciation for winged ships in space.

Winged ships look better, just take in consideration the GTF Perseus. Winged fighters and bombers in space might not be realistic, but...would you really prefer to fly ugly craft? Fighters like the Stentor and the various Claymores from Inferno are winged and unrealistic in the environment they're supposed to operate. But they're cool ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Darius

i dont see why not...blue planet gave my hyperion a home!

Hooray!  :D

Offline --Steve-O--

some ingame screens of the cockpit and reverse thrust in action.

Purty

So once this is done, ANYBODY can put it in their mod? (provided you get credit, of course.)

I gotta tell thesizzler - these ships are PURRRRRRRRTY

(btw- he would really like a good AN EXPERT modeler such as yourself.)
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

:sigh: You are the master of cockpits! I can hardly make them good :(
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Admiral Nelson

You might seriously want to caucus with Darius if there be some specific vessel he might need for Blue Planet II.  Certainly would get all of your ships into the action and also into a highly regarded series.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Darius

Well I've already asked him if he was going to finish his carrier :P

Commissioning models isn't really my thing: it's a lot of work for the modeller for little payback in terms of model use and appreciation. Besides, his existing ships already rock hard and I can't see why any of them would be left out of the action.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Oh, I understand completely.  It is more a case of if Steve is likely to build a fleet of related ships anyway, there may be some you need more than others.  This would suggest that he might prioritize certain models over others, rather than that you would ask for completely new ships, if you see what I mean.