Author Topic: space debris?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
hmm, one question: how do you make debris (?) when a capship is blown away? like whenthe orion is destroyed, there's 2 or three big parts that stays still for some seconds.

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I believe Debris is created in it's own level of detail...in POFview, LOD 0 shows the debris chunks.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!
Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Ah yes, but how DO you make different LOD's?

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
Kudoth, god of pointless educational programs.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Grey Wolf

I know in blender there's a lot of little pictures of squares that switch the LOD and I think Rhino has a menu to switch. Hope that helped.  

------------------
Webmaster of GTD Wolf

"It could be worse."

"'Tis only a flesh wound!"
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
I still haven't figured out the LOD thing...

Offline Grey Wolf

Neither have I. I just know how to switch from one to another. Anyway, I suck at modeling so it doesn't really matter.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
First model I've got working in FS2, with gunpoints, missilepoints, engines, subsystems and all... http://koti.mbnet.fi/jabu/akira.jpg

Just need some interface stuff, and LODs + debris.

Oh... trust me, it looks much better in-game  

[This message has been edited by Jabu (edited 04-06-2001).]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try this

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The Claw

I'm worried. That means nothing to me.

------------------
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Artimus

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:
I know in blender there's a lot of little pictures of squares that switch the LOD and I think Rhino has a menu to switch. Hope that helped.  

I have never seen the word "LOD" in Rhino ever.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:
Neither have I. I just know how to switch from one to another. Anyway, I suck at modeling so it doesn't really matter.

Ahh....a follower of the philosophy of 'if at first you don't succeed, give up.'
tsk tsk.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Guys, IPAndrews is doing a ship creation tutorial. It's not finished yet, but it already includes LODding and debris.

You can find it here: http://go.to/ipandrews/  
,click on the fs2 mods and scroll down.

Offline The Claw

Still havn't got it figured... I created the sub-object as DetailX but it still doesn't work, although Debris is put in it's seperate LOD the game crashes when I blow up a ship... ah wells. At least I've got a secondary energy weapon now, and hopefully a fighter beam that doesn't unbalance the game.

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
ok, I figured out debris, that's easy:
make the object, than, in truespace, glue a light as sibling to it. Call the object+object combos "debrisxx" (where xx is 01, 02 etc). than glue that combo renamed for exemple Debris01 as a child object of the main object. Hop that's it! when you'll convert the pof, it will be put in the debris lod.

Anyway, I haven't figured out how to make multi part turrets.
I rotate barrel axis by 0.45.0 as boboau said, glue a light to it as sibling, then glue that as child to the turret basis, rename the combo turretxx and glue the turret01 abject as a child to the main object.
But in model view, what happens is that the first 3 objects doesn't show (I guess that's are the lights...), then comes the main part. the only name that is kept is "turret", all otehrs are now referenced as "none". Anyway, I assign the turret objects to their emplacements in FSMM2.
In Fred and in FS2, their is an horrible display bug, the map of the ship is layered everywhere on the sceen (half of the screen in FS), and the barrel doesn't show up. In fs the turret doesn't rotate or fire or anything.
Someone can help? A clear step by step walkthrough would be welcome....

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!