Author Topic: No Supernova?  (Read 55663 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

I was playing through the main campaign again, and had reache the final mission. I was playing on Hard instead of Medium, and due to my total ineptness, all the GTVA ships other than me were destroyed and one Cain-class cruiser wasn't destroyed, only disabled and disarmed. Meanwhile, hordes of Shivan fighters and bombers swarmed my Herc II and by 25 minutes had gotten the hull down to 5%. So I hit Alt-J and the game let me jump out. No end movie, just a debriefing screen saying "No debriefing for mission 'Apocalypse'" Has anyone else had this happen?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The Cain is supposed to die.  Apparently its part of the triggering system (probably indirectly) for the supernova to go off.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yep, lucky you chose that exact vessel.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Arnav

• Slightly rusty technology
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
You saved Capella!

------------------
- Arnav Manchanda
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/techsup
- Arnav
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by Arnav:
You saved Capella!

:D

------------------

-------------------------
              [email protected]                        
we all die but when we die we die whit spacecrack.
staff member of<A HREF="http://www.3dap.com/hlp/inferno/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Soc Inferno[/url]
iqc 102628858
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:31:50 am by Sandwich »
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
And all because one puny little cruiser didn't die like it was supposed to. However...you'v eall forgotten one thing.

By saving Capella - the jump node that you run to in the last minutes of that mission is not destroyed. The Shivan Sathanas fleet makes it's way there and jumps through. In approximatly one week all humanit and the Vasudan empire is no more than rubble. You loose. Insert new credit  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:14:36 pm by Fineus »

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Wasn't there a ship scheduled to take down this node? The Nereid, or something?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Grey Wolf

Yeah, so the most I could have done is prevent the Sathanases' jump, saving some other species while also saving the GTVA.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Starwing

And the Shivan's are sitting in their Juggernauts wondering why their supernova weapon won't work...  

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
As you exit subspace into a quiet region of Capella, you open the Comm to command...

"Alpha One here, mission failed. Repeat, mission failed. There's just too many Shivans! Where should I go?"

"Alpha One, proceed to coordinates...cancel that! We've detected a large shockwave emanating from the Capella sun!"

You look to your right and are chilled to see the formerly warm yellow sun growing menacingly and deepening into crimson...You look frantically around for a jump node to escape to, but the only one left you had just run away from.

You howl as your world explodes into a fountain of fierce white light.

The end.  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
The ending is great, but a little surprising. But the last mission wasn't all that hard really.

------------------
Hello!
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I knew the game would end in a supernova, but at the time I didn't think that mission was the last one...

Imagine my surprise. Fortunately, I was playing with the Velocity Mod and was able to get to the jump node in time. Barely.  

You're right though, it wasn't that hard- just a matter of staying away from dangerous Shivan caps and those friggin Dragons. Which, in case you're interested, are best dealt with by staying really near the Deimos and using it as both a source of AAA fire and as a missile blocker.  

If you haven't played the last few missions with the Velocity Mod, you haven't lived. Bomb intercept has never been so much fun!

------------------

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Sushi:
As you exit subspace into a quiet region of Capella, you open the Comm to command...

"Alpha One here, mission failed. Repeat, mission failed. There's just too many Shivans! Where should I go?"

"Alpha One, proceed to coordinates...cancel that! We've detected a large shockwave emanating from the Capella sun!"

You look to your right and are chilled to see the formerly warm yellow sun growing menacingly and deepening into crimson...You look frantically around for a jump node to escape to, but the only one left you had just run away from.

You howl as your world explodes into a fountain of fierce white light.

The end.  

One thing: I went throught the node.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Bummer...I assumed that when you jumped out with 5 hull, you weren't too concerned with where you did it.  

------------------

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok

as you pass through the subspace incurtion you see in the distance a spec, a few seconds later you see it to be a full sized GTVA destroier, it hurtels past you with such a velocity that it's wake takes down your subsystems, you think to your self "wow, today has been a day" just then your ship shakes, a bright white light fills the subspace coridore you look back in horror to realize that the ship that passed you was sent to colapse the node, your last sensation is that of every molicule in your body disintigrateing into energy.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Grey Wolf

GTD Orion top speed = 15 m/s
GTF Hercules Mk. II top speed w/ AB = 65 m/s
Chances of that knocking out my subsystems by anything other than a collision = 0%
Chance of me surviving a collision = 0%
Chances of me being stupid enough to fly in front of an Orion = 5%
Approx. time for Orion node travel = 10 min.
Approx. time for Hercules Mk. II node travel = 2.3 min.
Think about that.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's called subspace!!!

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Grey Wolf

I know it's called subspace. I was using node travel to distinguish intersystem travel from intrasystem travel.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Does colapsing the node colapses the tunnel too?

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline Grey Wolf

Most likely, but you'd be out by then. (?)