Author Topic: [WIP] GVF Soter  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
if you really want to keep the modified cockpit, maybe you could have the gun stick straight out from the center of the hull instead of underslinging it.  or squeeze the side guns in a little.  if not, it still looks great. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline -Sara-

From a design perspective the guns break the flow of the design. Making them integrated into the design itself would do it far more justice, it's a shame many people make big guns stick out of the hull. Other than that I like it a lot!
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline MarkN

Sara: I would normally agree with you. For the Soter though, the profile of the side hulls are determined by the fact that there are two huge guns sticking out of each.

I have now got a centre hull gun for which I have tried to account for the fact that there isn't enough space by having it stick out at the front rear and bottom.

Offline mmm99

Narrrly design dude  ;7

Although you would never notice in game and the ship would still be realy cool, a buble cockpit on top of the hull would alow the pilot better situational awareness in a dog fight where the in built cockpit would give him no field of vision around him.

You may realise this all ready or don't particuly care because it will realy make no differense in game but just wanted to mention this.

Keep up the good work :yes:
Life is like cheese... I never liked cheese.

I'd say sensors in the FS universe are advanced enough for the pilot to know what's going on even without having a bubble cockpit.

The small windshield gives the Soter a more armored look.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline MarkN

Now UV mapped. with some sections marked to identify the type of texture to be used.

I have no idea how to make the texture though..

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Exciting!  You should post the UV mapped version.

Now when you finish, make a light fighter with one tail.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline MarkN

I hadn't thought of that, but I may do that. however I have the beginnings of a heavy fighter I want to complete first.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We need more people around here who can texture. Learning to texture is a good thing! Drop into IRC and I'll help you get started with creating the texture.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
The fighter is looking good, cant wait to see the final piece of it

I hadn't thought of that, but I may do that. however I have the beginnings of a heavy fighter I want to complete first.

Didnt you origionaly say it was a light assault fighter or something and not a heavy fighter?

Now when you finish, make a light fighter with one tail.

Yes he should.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I looked at your mesh; excellent job overall.  Several suggestions:
1. Always check your mirroring; your mirror was slightly off and into the ship.
2. You can reduce your poly count by reducing redundant polys.

R

Offline MarkN

mjn.mixael:
I'd love any help you can give me. Rampage has offered to texture this one, but I could use this as a learning experience. However, I would want to start with how to make the best UV map for texturing, as there are a few things I am unsure of there. I would first have to find out how to use IRC though.

BTA:
This is definitely at the light end of assault fighters, but I also have a heavier fighter (currently designated Auletes), that I have had kicking around on my hard drive for some time.

Rampage:
How do identify the redundant polys?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At the top of the Forums there is an 'HLP' tab. Mouseover that and go to IRC links, then to Mibbit. There you will see a list of channels. Most people are on #hard-light but that channel is mostly off-topic generic banter. You can find me in #Freespace.

It'll open up a new tab in your browser, then simply type my handle. If I'm around, I'll respond.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
A redundant polygon is one that does not contribute or contributes very little to the overall shape of the mesh.  For example, if your mesh is a cubic box and one of the sides is made up of two polygons, then one of those polygons is redundant unless it alters the shape of the box.  A lot of new 3D artists make this mistake so to up their mesh's polycount (I made this very mistake when I first started out).

R

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I'm bumping this thread to announce that the Inferno team has release the GVB Setep based on this design, according to our agreement with MarkN.
Release thread link: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85391.new#new