Author Topic: Working on a Destroyer, Any suggestions?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Working on a Destroyer, Any suggestions?
I have decided to have a go at doing a destroyer and trying to get it in game. Now i have always loved the look of WW2 British battleships, massive vessels with huge guns, and i thought i would base my ideas on that. I am also basing the design on the destroyer from homeworld 2. This is what i have come up with so far, very early work in progress. I still have to do the rear and engines, but the front section, basic modelling i think is finished, this is why i am posting this, as i could do with a second opinion or constructive crit. I am planning to add gun turrets on the front platforms along the top. So bearing in my very early WIP what do you think for a beginner?

[attachment deleted by ninja]
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Working on a Destroyer, Any suggestions?
Vaguely similar to the Megaera and Constellation models. How many guns are you going to add?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:53:58 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The battleship in space idea sometimes works and sometimes doesn't... If this is for a FreeSpace setting, I recommend putting turrets on the bottom as well as on the top (liek the Orion).

The shape looks good to start off.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
And turrets on the sides too!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nehemiah

• I prefer exploding spaceships to blood and gore.
Have you considered something smaller and similar to the GTVBS Archangel Mk. 2?  I love the design, but it's huge.  Perhaps you could make something smaller following the same general idea:

The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace.  It failed...

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
From the image, it looks like the top paneling extends beyond the width and length of the main hull.  You should either extend out the hull to match, or even bulge it out a bit beyond, or perhaps have the "flat top" canted downwards on the sides and front, and then do something similar with the craft's underside.  The way it is, it looks too much like a WWII or early 50's Aircraft carrier.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That was the point when Trashman made it.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
@ snail: this isnt for the freespace universe, I had an idea for my own uni,

For turreting when i create them, will prob be, Anti capship:- 3 big guns along the top, 2 at the front 1 at back. 2 at the bottom of the ship. 4 forward torpedo tubes and 2 rear tubes.

anti-figther:-  several flak type batteries, not to many.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Nehemiah

• I prefer exploding spaceships to blood and gore.
When I look at Trashman's Archangel Mk. 2, I've always thought it resembled a mighty WWII era battleship the way the guns and the bridge are arranged.  I thought that's what starbug was going for here.
The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace.  It failed...

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So you are going for a Higaran homeworld like destroyer?, well the shape looks quite resembling so far.

Try adding other stuff like defense panels on the rear to cover the engine (sticking out pieces) and make the shape on the rear part just a tad little bigger.

For inspiration based on homeworld designs (which I think are the best I've seen so far in any space games) check here and here

el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hw2_0403-g.jpg
This.
That ship in the middle.
Pure sex.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
So you are going for a Higaran homeworld like destroyer?, well the shape looks quite resembling so far.

Try adding other stuff like defense panels on the rear to cover the engine (sticking out pieces) and make the shape on the rear part just a tad little bigger.

I actually never intended to go for the HW2 destroyer, although i dooooo like the design of the higaran destroyer, once i got started modelling it just ended up like that, must have been mu subconscious LOL, i do plan to add more detail and whatnot, i was just trying to get a basic model done, then start doing the fancy stuff, also if i screw up something i got a back up.

But i won't be working on it today, been awake since 1:30 this morning so to tired to try and model today/