Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version  (Read 214479 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version
What are the problem specifics / what's wrong with the Loki?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Recently cleaned, also have the Catalyst 8.7 drivers (I have an X800 Pro).  As for FSO, I do have 3.6.9 but the version released last year.  Does anyone have a particular stable build to use with the new vps?  I've tried several, all had very weird problems.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Try the one from here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55095.0.html (remember to get the shader VP there too)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

That particular build is quite slow on my machine.  Also, thruster effects are not working properly (taylor is aware of this) and ship name decals are not on the ships anymore.  Is there a more stable build than this or is there a workaround?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
An almost identical problem happened on page 23 of this very thread actually. That one turned out to be the graphics card overheating due to a clogged fan, but it's also possibly attributable to ATI cards, older FSO builds and possibly graphics card drivers.

So, first make sure your machine isn't overheating, then if that doesn't work or isn't the case grab a new FS build from Recent Builds. Failing that check your graphics drivers are up to date.
Wrong, VA. It is because of a driver bug, Backlash had the same problem. I don't know what causes it, but it mysteriously disappeared a while ago. (I think). All I know is that it wasn't the fan.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
He probably mentioned the fan since he said it was running slow.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
It was my fan, and it had stopped running.

EDIT: That comment made me look at my fan, and it has fallen out of the heatsink. Ah well, the card has presumably been like this for weeks, and the fan didn't work properly before that, so I guess it hasn't had much effect on the card. If it means it dies in 6 months instead of 7, so be it. My parents have been hinting at a new PC anyways, so hopefully...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:06:43 am by colecampbell666 »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Meh, I just went with what you said. :p

Got the fan to work, and the weird lines have disappeared. Thanks.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Well it did work, but I had to push it slightly into the right position, and it went off sometimes anyways. I left it because I didn't notice any problems.

EDIT3: Time for more experiments. Removing report until I can figure out exactly what's wrong.

EDIT4: Well.

Tests say that some ships (The Orion, Argo, and Iceni, for example) dislike normal maps, and they then eat up all available CPU, causing a crash.

Huh.

Using this build, but I might try one of the later ones in a bit. Don't think it's hardware related, but just in case

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro (Driver: Omega 3.8.442 [I should update these, shouldn't I?])
2 gig DDR2 RAM
Not entirely sure on the motherboard, but it's a Biostar K-800something

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:37:32 pm by MechMantis »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Use this.

Latest trunk build that's been posted, and no other tweaks.  Any bug reports should be done based on a recent trunk build, since they're trying to wrap up 3.6.10 for a release now.  I just hope we can get another MVP beta before 3.6.10, so we can make sure there aren't bugs in one or the other.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I just hope we can get another MVP beta before 3.6.10, so we can make sure there aren't bugs in one or the other.

There was talk of a gamma release.  The main problem was organizing it, since that is not an easy task, and it would probably fall on DaBrain to do it :(

Use this.

Latest trunk build that's been posted, and no other tweaks.  Any bug reports should be done based on a recent trunk build, since they're trying to wrap up 3.6.10 for a release now.  I just hope we can get another MVP beta before 3.6.10, so we can make sure there aren't bugs in one or the other.

Well, with this build normal maps just don't work at all, flag checked or no. I remember trying it earlier.

Would that be considered a bug? :P

EDIT: I'll try this one, maybe that'll solve the problem.

EDIT2: Same problem. Normal maps simply don't work. Needs to be an actual Xt release or nothing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:19:03 pm by MechMantis »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Sorry, since you were using such an old build, I forgot.  The shaders aren't built in anymore, you have to download the shaders vp file too, and put that in your FS directory.  The build I linked you to is essentially what's in the one you just referenced, and some other bugfixing since then.  Plus it was after Taylor added it to the main source base.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

^^I had tried the one you linked me to, and just to make sure I tried it again. Nothing. With either of the shader VPs (the simply named shaders.vp or the sdr1119.vp)^^

Got both the old shaders VP and the new VP in there. Tried one, then the other, then both together. Nothing.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What's in the fs2_open.log?

An old crash, nothing recent. The game doesn't "crash", per say, it just eats all CPU and does nothing with it, forcing a ctrl-alt-del out. Lock was the term I should have used.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Are you running a debug build?  It should just dump output to it.  Use one, and maybe even turn on the debug window.

Warning: Too many beam sections for weapon BFRed - max is 5
File: Weapons.cpp
Line: 3021

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_weaponstbl()    parse_modular_table()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()
------------------------------------------------------------------

This is new. Debug EXE of the latest trunk build, that is, one without the locking problem. Now, the standard EXE just goes on it's merry way and plops me at mainhall. Debug EXE gets a nice instacrash.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Try no mods, and see if the debug output tells you anything about whether or not OpenGL loads successfully.  It should, and if it does it's probably a MediaVPs bug.