Author Topic: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread  (Read 304191 times)

Offline sfried

Re: RELEASE: 3.6.10 Media VPs
Meh.  If you don't have time for that download, you probably don't have the time for Freespace either :P (unless you're on dial-up :nervous:).  Anyway, it's not like you need to download EVERY nightly build that comes out, just a few of them.  SCP will always continue improving.  Unless you'd prefer that the code be frozen in its current state and declared final, despite bugs and unfulfilled feature requests :rolleyes:.  So just update your build occasionally and you'll be fine.
I do. I was just wondering which one will be considered the final build...of 3.6.10 at least. There's already talk of a 3.6.11, and if that one doesn't need any more "patching" (i.e. basically anything that has to do with sticking additional stuff in the mediavps folder), I'm considering a fresh reinstall of FS2Open just for it.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Either I'm confused, or you are.  There will likely never be a 'final'.  The SCP is always going to be evolving.  You also sound like you're getting the SCP confused with the MediaVPs.  The SCP is very close to Release Candidate stage, the MediaVPs will likely release the next official update to the main release after there is a final 3.6.10 SCP build.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Two questions you should ask.  1) Does it happen consistently? and 2) Is it in mantis yet?  If 1 is trua and 2 is false, then it is not a known issue and should be reported using mantis.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, does this have anything to do with when you're using the MediaVPs?  If it happens without them then this is the wrong place to mention it.  I'd suggest the FS support forum and Mantis as blowfish suggested.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Hi,

Just taking a moment to say thanks to the team! The mediaVPs are truly amazing work... you guys rock!

Offline Vrets

I want to discuss the presence of ship prefixes in names. Canonically, they're not widely used in FS2 and I don't see the point in adding them now.
[/mobius]

Agreed.

Mediavps are amazing, otherwise. Especially the new Shivan beams.

To be more specific, amazing means "oh my god, are those normal maps on my fighter?! Oh my christ, it's so beautiful!"

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I want to discuss the presence of ship prefixes in names. Canonically, they're not widely used in FS2 and I don't see the point in adding them now.
[/mobius]

Agreed.

I also agree with Mobius' stance.  People are generally smart enough to figure out that just because the ship's name is shown as "Fenris" doesn't necessarily mean it isn't really "GTC Fenris"

Mediavps are amazing, otherwise. Especially the new Shivan beams.

To be more specific, amazing means "oh my god, are those normal maps on my fighter?! Oh my christ, it's so beautiful!"

Amen to that man.  Amen to that.

If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So, I have already gone about then the Class-as-Part-of-the-Name, and everybody seems to just prefer the ship name, without the class part.

Would you want the nameplates to show this behaviour as well, or should the class part stay on the nameplates?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I think nameplates should still show the class designation, but ship names should not.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:wtf:

Uh, guys, I thought this was settled with a poll not too long ago...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I don't remember making such a  poll. Just a bunch of people voicing that they did not like the class descriptors in the ship names on the hud.
I wanted to refresh whether the nameplates should also be changed.

Armed with this information, I now get to go back through and do a hunt and replace in SP and CoOp versions.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I think nameplates should still show the class designation, but ship names should not.

I'm happy with that.

Offline sfried

It seems like the Nightly Builds thread is undergoing a Release Candidate phase. Does this mean we will see an "Official" EXE soon?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Did you take a look at the front page?  Said something about RELEASE CANDIDATES 1 & 2?!!
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline sfried

Did you take a look at the front page?  Said something about RELEASE CANDIDATES 1 & 2?!!
Damn, I didn't spot that. Thanks for the heads up.

Somebody update the first page of this thread, before they make the same mistake that I did.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Seconded, someone plz most make update.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Updated step 3 with that and links to the support forum's FAQ thread.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Seconded, someone plz most make update.

:wakka:
Nooo! Not you tooo!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What?  That's like the fifth time I've said that.  I'm even responsible for that quote being in the IRC bot's quote list.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
What?  That's like the fifth time I've said that.  I'm even responsible for that quote being in the IRC bot's quote list.

Well a general CBF-ness on my part has resulted in me missing a lot of things on the forum... I don't use IRC either