Author Topic: Submit application for managing source code project  (Read 5725 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Submit application for managing source code project
OK, peoples, I've elected myself to organize the management elections for the FS2 source code project. I've posted something very similar to this thread on VW, but they're down ATM. Anyways, here's how it goes:

If you are able and willing to act as manager for coordinating the editing of the source code, post here according to the template below.

The requirements are: You should have a basic understanding of programming principles to facilitate easy communication between programmers and the community. Include names of past projects headed up (if any) or other significant positions you have had.

Once the applications are in, I'll post a poll (on HLP, since VWBB doesn't allow polls) with the names of the applicants. You all vote, and the top applicant will be elected.

If you have any problems or comments on this system, do not post here. Make a new topic and complain there (EDIT: Here's the topic), but keep this thread clean.

Don't praise yourself, don't deride others.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid! Don't ramble in your reply, just post according to the following template:

Code: [Select]

Name/callsign: John Smith
Projects: The Babylon Project - Project Lead
          Warzone - Mission Designer
          Awakenings: Mission Designer, Voice Acting Coordinator
« Last Edit: April 28, 2002, 03:25:22 pm by 214 »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Inquisitor

Coordinator, that I know have time for, so long as there is some kind of steering committee :)

Edward "Inquisitor" Gardner

Resume available in this thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,6838.0.html

Projects Credits (note: some of the older stuff may be offline):

Maxgaming: Lore, in development, by Maxgaming Technologies, Electronic Distribution, Developer, a Team-based online game in support of Maxtech’s player services (online leagues) using the Torque Engine.

Friendly Fire (http://www.shatteredstar.com/friendlyfire), 1/2002, by Decker’s Digital Solutions and the Shattered Star Confederation gaming group, Electronic Distribution, Lead Designer/Developer, Team-based playable demo using the Torque Engine.

Project:Endeavor (http://www.deckersds.com/endeavor), 11/2001, by Decker’s Digital Solutions, Project Lead, Real-time visualization of remotely sensed datasets using PC display engines: Examples from Venus, a Torque Engine based multi-user virtual environment created in support of Gardner, 2001 (see publication bibliography below).

burbWorld  (http://www.burbworld.com), online since 3/15/00, by Decker’s Digital Solutions and The Concept Bank, Architect and Lead Developer (CFML), Suburban Experience Search Engine.

Homesite.Com (http://www.homesite.com and several secure URL’s), online since 5/15/99, by Cambridge Technology Partners and Homesite.Com, Security and Infrastructure Design Manager (7/15/00), Online Home Insurance and B2B partner website.

Shattered Star Confederation (http://www.shatteredstar.com,  http://forums.shatteredstar.com, http://divisions.shatteredstar.com ), online since 1997, by the Shattered Star Confederation, Webmaster, Forum Administrator, Server Administrator, an online gaming community.

Office.Com (http://www.office.com), online since 7/15/99, by Cambridge Technology Partners and Office.Com, Java and TCL Build and Configuration Manager for Phase III development (released 1/15/00), Small Business Portal.

Decker’s Digital Solutions (http://www.deckersds.com), online since 5/15/98, by Decker’s Digital Solutions, Webmaster, corporate website for Decker’s Digital Solutions service offerings and technical support.

Cruiser Tales, CD released 2/14/99, by Decker’s Digital Solutions, published by Decker’s Digital Solutions, Newton, MA.

Sacred Worlds: Personal Views, New Perspectives, online mid 1998 to mid 2000, CD Version available on request, by the International Quicktime VR Association in cooperation with the International Quictime VR community. Project member, contributor, Marquis VR demo webiste and CD for demonstrating the power of Quicktime VR.

Apply! '99, CD released 8/10/98, by The Princeton Review, published by The Princeton Review, New York, NY.

Inside the SAT  '99 Deluxe edition, CD released 7/1/98, by The Princeton Review, published by The Learning Company, Freemont, CA. Product Manager.

Inside the ACT '99 Deluxe edition, CD released 7/1/98, by The Princeton Review, published by The Learning Company, Freemont, CA. Product Manager.

Inside the SAT  '99 Standard edition, CD released 7/1/98¸ by The Princeton Review, published by The Learning Company, Freemont, CA. Product Manager.

Inside the ACT '99 Standard edition, CD released  7/1/98¸ by The Princeton Review, published by The Learning Company, Freemont, CA. Product Manager.

Smart Pack (Algebra Smart, Science Smart, Word Smart), CD released 10/15/97, by The Princeton Review, published by Mindscape, Inc., Novato, CA. Interim Product Manager.

Inside the GRE '98, CD released 1/1/98, by The Princeton Review, published by Mindscape, Inc., Novato, CA. Quality Assurance Manager.

Inside the SAT  '98 Deluxe edition, released 9/1/97, CD in-line release 11/1/97, by The Princeton Review, published by Mindscape, Inc., Novato, CA. Product Manager, Quality Assurance Manager.

Inside the ACT '98 Deluxe edition, released 9/1/97, CD in-line release 11/1/97, by The Princeton Review, published by Mindscape, Inc., Novato, CA. Product Manager, Quality Assurance Manager.

Inside the SAT  '98 Standard edition, CD released 10/6/97, by The Princeton Review, published by Mindscape, Inc., Novato, CA. Product Manager, Quality Assurance Manager.

Inside the ACT '98 Standard edition, CD released 10/6/97, by The Princeton Review, published by Mindscape, Inc., Novato, CA. Product Manager, Quality Assurance Manager.

Apply! '98, CD released 9/15/97, by Apply! Technologies published by Apply Technologies, Burlington, MA.  Quality Assurance Manager.

GMAT Diagnostic, CD released 8/15/97, by The Princeton Review, published by Random House for inclusion in Cracking the GMAT '98, NY, NY, Quality Assurance Manager.

Tester Online (http://tester.review.com), online since 6/15/97, by The Princeton Review, Quality Assurance Manager.

The Inquisition: (http://www.deckersds.com/AOL/egard38083/index.html), online since 3/97, personal multimedia website  and HTML archive. See also Through the Eyes of a Sailor.

Through the Eyes of a Sailor (http://www.deckersds.com/AOL/briggsma/mab.htm), online since 4/97, multimedia WWII biography of Milton A. Briggs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2002, 12:53:45 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline heretic

• http://www.warpstorm.com
1995 - managed Top Gun BBS.
1996 - managed a retail store where all employees were 16 year old kids.
1997 - ran ultimate40k.com
1998 - didn't do much.
1999 - not much here.
2000 - 2002 www.warpstorm.com

:D
VBB survivor: June 1999 until the end. Only banned 2 or 3 times (I think)

Offline heretic

• http://www.warpstorm.com
VBB survivor: June 1999 until the end. Only banned 2 or 3 times (I think)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
Callsign: Ime not tellin :p  

Qualifications:
GCSE's in Science and Maths
GNVQ, Foundation, Information Technology (Distinction)
I am currently taking my GNVQ, Intermediate, IT

I can make anything you want in Visual Basic.
I can make any databases you want, in MS Access (incorporate them in to vb)
I can make any spreadsheets in MS Excell you want
I can write Excelent letters.

Just dont ask me to spell anything. :D

I am a good manager but no "C" programmer, so hire  Inquisitor for the manager I am good at managing databases and spreadsheets so i could keep track of all the programmers and bug them if they are behind. Just ask orange and icefire (about me bugging them :D )
« Last Edit: April 28, 2002, 03:29:45 pm by 195 »
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
As I've said before, I really don't think experience in C should be the deciding factor. General programming knowledge should be a considering, though, IMO. Plus, look more closely at Sandwich's post:
You should have a basic understanding of programming principles to facilitate easy communication between programmers and the community.

:nod:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2002, 05:32:59 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
When VW does return, I think the proper course of action will be to take elections within the team and then proceed from there.  We've got a site under development that will then serve as a center for everyone on that team.  Updating .Plan files, posting news, and making releases available.  Also, whatever other automated systems you guys need, we'll develop (within reason).

And we'll support forums at both locations for added convienence.  As long as there is central communication inside the team, the forum that the general public interacts in is of no major concern and it should keep things peacable again :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Coordinator, that I know have time for, so long as there is some kind of steering committee :)
hmmm, i'll volunteer as a member of that committee: Lead Giver-of-stupid-and-often-impractical/impossible-ideas.  Seriously though, i do have a lot of ideas for improvements, as i'm sure Aldo, Venom, and Woomeister do as well.  I think we need to get all the project leaders in here and figure out what changes we all need/madly desire.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You should have a basic understanding of programming principles to facilitate easy communication between programmers and the community.

The principles is the stuff I am fairly good at (logic, discrete math, etc.), so I can put the general ideas into more distinct series of commands, but the problem is that I am not too well acquainted with the C++ syntax and programming procedures. :(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2002, 11:00:58 pm by 296 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Submit application for managing source code project
Originally posted by sandwich
If you have any problems or comments on this system, do not post here. Make a new topic and complain there (EDIT: Here's the topic), but keep this thread clean.

Ahem. :D

Originally posted by IceFire

Originally posted by LtNarol

Originally posted by CP5670

Replied to all of you here. Keep this thread clean, please! :nod:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
I'll throw my hat into the ring, even though I've posted very little to HLP, so nobody here knows who I am ;7

I'm primarily interested in porting to non-Windows platforms (Linux and other unixes, Mac, etc.), and using OpenGL instead of DirectX.  I have a sourceforge project set up already http://jumpnode.sourceforge.net that could be used for the port.

I've been programming in C since 1983 (almost 20 years, yikes) and playing Freespace for about a year and a half.  My Real Life Job is as a Linux developer, and I haven't done Windows programming for about 4 years, but I did it extensively for a while, so at least I know what I'm reading...

My callsigns, etc:

HLP: penguin
SF: herc_mk2 [email protected]
RL: Mike Harris

Projects: none that anyone has ever heard of...

edit: corrected sourceforge email
« Last Edit: April 29, 2002, 12:37:52 pm by 334 »
your source code slave

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
i know just a little c++, not surely enough to work on modifications of the source code, but enoguh to have a (very) general idea of what a program is:p
i don't intend to apply for the "project leader chair" until it will be hard to find someone (and it doesn't seem to be), since i'm pretty new to this community and i think it would be better if someone more known in the fs2 community take care of this.
btw i'd like to give my contribute in any way possible and needed, even if it will be simply expressing ideas:) (exactly what i'm trying to do)
cya

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I thought I might as well post my qualifications too. ;)

General information:
Internet name: CP5670 / SSC-CP5670
Group affiliations: Shattered Star Confederation (SSC)

Current project involvement:
The Procyon Insurgency - lone staff member of one-man project
Dark Alliance - mission designer, story consultant and table guy

Computer-related practical knowledge:
> a little bit of C++ knowledge (not sufficient to do extensive work on the source code but good enough to see what others are doing, principle-wise)
> little-to-moderate amount of Visual Basic knowledge
> a little bit of Mathematica knowledge
> a little bit of Object Pascal / Delphi knowledge
> some experience with 2D graphics design
> little-to-moderate amount of computer hardware knowledge (overclocking ;7)

Freespace-related knowledge:
> proficiency with FRED2 and existing FS2 tables
> just about every aspect of the FS/FS2 story universe memorized completely (yes I'm a nut :p :D)
> some knowledge of FS2 parsing systems and the methods in which the game does things

Academic knowledge:

This is the stuff I am pretty good at and have studied/practiced in-depth:
> newtonian mechanics / classical physics
> calculus / multivariable calculus
> planetary and stellar astrophysics
> ordinary differential equations (ODEs)
> multi-dimensional analytic geometry and implicit functions
> machine design (a branch of mechanical engineering)
> english composition (formal style)

These are the subjects I have some knowledge of, but not as much as the stuff above, since I'm currently studying them:
> galactic astronomy / cosmology
> partial differential equations (PDEs)
> special functions
> logic / discrete math
> number theory
> philosophy (problems and history)

This stuff I am not too familiar with as I have just started getting into it, but that will change over time: ;)
> general relativity equations and tensor algebra
> calculus of variations
> fractional calculus
> political science
> macroeconomics

Miscellaneous:
> lots of experience with anything Lego Technic (construction, history, etc.)
> will have lots of free time after two weeks
« Last Edit: May 03, 2002, 12:03:09 pm by 296 »

Offline Inquisitor

So, we ready to kick this thing? Warpcore has offered CVS, but they want a named project manager before they kick it off (I emailed and asked).

Sorry for the non-application post :)
No signature.

Callsign: Boct1584
Qualifications: Willing to butcher my copy of FS2 for beta-testing of source code mods, intermediate knowledge of  Visual Basic, basic knowledge of table hacks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2002, 08:16:47 am by 370 »

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Callsign: phreak
Qualifications: Wrote the Repair Ship mod for IW2
                    PI mission tester
                    Knowledege of C/C++ since summer 2000.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Inquisitor

How's that vote coming?
No signature.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wish I knew... You'd have to talk with Icey or Thunder/Shrike/whoever - dunno who's handling it on the HLP side of things.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Well technically HLP is only handling hosting for the forums and FSW the website side of things. Both sites staff will have a hand in adminstration of the project (not to the extent that it hinders those who know what they're doing - I'm speaking for myself here). Personally I only plan to support what's needed and provide concepts - since I know nothing of programming it'd be stupid to try and do more.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
how about Inquisitor be apointed interim manager, untill we get everything setup
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together