Author Topic: 'Bye  (Read 16273 times)

Offline Mika

Well, maybe he just chipped it, because after feeling it for a while I felt little bits around.

Does that mean small parts of bone have fractured off? I think that is even worse then since it requires an operation to recuperate. According to my understanding, those small pieces make recuperating process harder (since they move easily and hinder to bone thickening process), and might also start moving in your body. Bone part getting stuck to a tendon or a muscle is something what you don't want to have.

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Meh. It was a month ago. I'm fine now.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I have a Bios password and a windows pass word so my parents cant get into my computer.  im the computer geek of the house anyways.  if they restart my computer they will get the bios password if they some how get pass that they will have the windows password to figer out and i don't use sort pass words   there is a way to to bye pass window password in safe mode but my parent wouldn't now how to do that   they proble don't even no what safe mode is

bios password for logging into the bios. Bios password for being able to boot up the computer. A windows login password, a locked screensaver, and the ability to lock the session at any time manually. It's a pretty secure setup :yes: But with some big holes that only some people would realize.

Bios passwords are effective up until the point you just pop out the bios battery.
The next thing is the windows login password, easy to bypass if you go into safe mode which is actually a pretty well known back door for windows. Even if people don't know about safe mode, i'd just be popping in mepis livecd and "5T341Z Y0R D4T4!!!!", or seriously **** with the computer in other destructive or sneaky ways.

How can these holes be better patched with an otherwise awesomely layered security scheme? Encrypt your hard drive. That way, when you computer turns on, you put in the bios bootup password, the mbr gets accessed, and before windows gets a chance to load, you have to put in a password.

This is great because, if people take the time to pop out your bios battery, to change your bios to boot up with cdrom first or even floppy drive first to gain access to your system through some form livecd or floppy boot disk. They they most surely have the time to take out your hard drive and plop it into another computer and access it. If the drive is encrypted, they need the password to access the drive in any computer.

I've got drive encryption going on my system. And it's nice way to cover up some security holes. Never bet on the fact that some people wont try stuff on your computer because you think they don't know about how something works or of a certain backdoor.

Another hint. Set the bios to boot up with the hard drive first and not the floppy or cd drive first. You'll get a faster boot time. And it'll keep people from being able to use livecd's and floppy boot disks. If they wanted to use a livecd or floppy boot disk, then they'd have to pop out your bios battery. After that either way, they'd say "h3770 3ncrypt10n...SPF!!!!!!!!!!!!".
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Well I don't need to go that far every one in my family barely knows how to use a computer never mind knowing how to take a battery out. My dads ok with computer my mom just started to learn how to use computers and my sister makes computers crash i dont now what she does when she on the computer. but everyone she uses dies some were along the way.     
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Drive encryption may not be necessary for your situation. But, you should try it out anyway just to see if you can get it working. It took me a couple of tries to get it right. Plus you would have learned something new i can definitely see you utilizing in the future.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

How exactly do you use these passwords?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
Is that a serious question?
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame warâ„¢?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
You hopefully only remember them and never have them anywhere else but your head. And then you make strong passwords, and then you input them correctly, and then you gain access. :yes:

SMBFD

I mean, like, how do you set them?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Check out bios passwords, full drive encryption, and the os passwords should be a no brainer.

SMBFD

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
With regard to drive encryption, TrueCrypt is your friend.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
dm-crypt is also your friend. Of course, truecrypt and dm-crypt, doesn't matter which one you use, they can be made to work with windows installs.

SMBFD

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
I mean, like, how do you set them?
There's usually something under settings. For a windows password, you'd have to go into the user settings. For the bios password, you'd have to go into your BIOS (restart your computer, push F7, F12, Delete, etc. to access the BIOS. The hotkey used differs among manufacturers/motherboards).
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame warâ„¢?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Some BIOS manufacturers also put in permanent, generic passwords in the event that you forget the one chose and don't want to pop out the battery.  These can be found with a simple Google search.  Useful if you need to get into a passworded BIOS and the case is locked / has a warranty tamper label.  Granted, you need to know what BIOS is in your system, because the generic passwords vary between manufacturers.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
For someone who's banned. You're managing quite a bit of net-time on a school night. Don't get caught :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
*sigh*

I've seen this kind of thing far too much.  You know...and why should a kid/teenager/whatever have to argue with their parents so that their parents will come to a more reasonable and logical outcome instead of a kneejerk reaction based on no knowledge or understanding?  Unless we're missing something here.

I guess I have a beef with this kind of thing.  Drives me around the bend.

I'm with you on that one IceFire.

Here's a question:  has Titan's father ever sat down and looked over HLP and the FreeSpace universe?  Has he taken 10 minutes out of his day to bother to see what his kid is looking at rather than just assume it's bad?

HLP is frequented by people from all walks of life, including not a few people with varied degrees (or multiple degreees), a variety of national backgrounds, and a huge variety of employment backgrounds.  It's hardly a stereotypical internet community, especially for young people.

Having grown up with the Internet's evolution myself, knowing far more about computing than anyone in my family, and having been exposed to some of the worst the Internet has to offer I can certainly respect what Titan's dad is trying to accomplish, but I think he's going about it in entirely the wrong way.  Assuming you know what your kid is doing online is a far cry from actually knowing (and I say this as some whose parents thought they knew what I was doing and had absolutely no clue) and the absolute best policy about this technology is to sit down and explain your position, keeping an open line of communication going on.

There are far worse things in life that Titan could be getting himself into than sitting on HLP in his spare time.  Now, if he's using this place and dodging homework and household responsibilities then that is another matter entirely.

Best thing you could do Titan is ask your dad to sit down with you and go over what HLP is, how it functions, and what exactly you do on this site.  You might try a read over the Wikipedia article on open-source software as well, follow by quick redirection to unbuntu.com (surely your Dad has heard of Linux?), Sun Java, OpenOffice.org, and Sourceforge.net to explain how this works.
Its just so much easier to assume a happy and narrow world view and think that everything is bad and harmful and therefore everything must be controlled, locked down, and otherwise restricted so that little Johnny doesn't hurt himself or doesn't find out anything about the world at all.  The problem is...that eventually children grow up and they are totally utterly unprepared and so when they get their first taste of true freedom they go absolutely nuts.  First year university...you know which ones had what kind of parents within a week.

HLP is probably one of the best places to be visiting I agree.  Certainly better than 99% of message boards out there.  Our diversity of age, nationality, and background gives us a much more wide open world view.

Maybe things will be different when I'm a parent but I hope someone smacks me upside the head if I ever behave the way that this guys father did.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
UUUUUUGGggghh!!1
Sheltering. It's evil. You got to go out there and socialize your kids! Or else you end up with some really naive and annoying kids who really don't know better about many things, and also just plain old don't know many things.

Reminds me going to a church private school for 6th and 7th grade. That place was fun to go to for sure. But, 8th grade i had to go back to public. And many many many others started calling me names and i didn't know what a single one of them meant. After that i was just curious why everybody was making fun of me. Then i closed up and became very anti-social.

Also reminds me of my friend i met years ago. Everyone didn't hang out with him because he was annoying and he'd steal your stuff. I figured out once you accepted him for who he is and even more over all become his friend then he wont steal your ****. But, he called like 15 times a day! This was a guy who lived 5 miles out of town, and got to go to town maybe once a month. He wanted to hang out all the time too.

HELLO SHELTERED AND UNSOCIALIZED KIDS...THE ABOVE WILL BE YOURS :yes:

Solutions? Yes.

I just got mad one day when my own friends started making fun of me too. So i took a bold step and started making friends with all of the bullies and doing constructive things like tutoring them, and teach them how to use certain win apps necessary for school. My betraying friends became the laughing stock....they just weren't cool, the bullies in my old school seriously were much cooler and nicer people. 

And with a lot of patience, after like a year, my unsocialized friend learned the errors of his old ways with his big realization period, and became a normal person.

Why did all of this happen? In the first situation it took me a while for my stupor to wear off and realize damn that church private school didn't prepare me for **** because it ended up being a negatively impacting sheltering experience, grew out of my anti-socialness, and got better friends while at it. And the second situation i actually got my friend out of his house at least once a week to hang out in town.

Sometimes you got to realize that there are things that are necessary for you that your parents may end up never doing for you that they normally should have. And that's when you got to go out and do them for yourself, and even possibly help other people with them. Such as socializing...it's pretty important.  Living under a nurturing umbrella of safety soley for a long period of life doesn't do any good.

Good luck titan in your 1984 novel life of an experience that is happening for you now :lol:

SMBFD

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
And the government doesn't help with this (the Canadian one at least). They've got so many laws, it's like they're trying to eliminate a parent's job. It's gotten so bad that you can't walk down the street without a helmet and full body armor. Most of it in NS is the IWK, our local children's hospital. I can't drive mt dirt bike anymore, because parents didn't do their jobs and kids got killed. I've been driving since I was 5, and am perfectly responsible, but the government just blanket-bans everything.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
And the government doesn't help with this (the Canadian one at least). They've got so many laws, it's like they're trying to eliminate a parent's job. It's gotten so bad that you can't walk down the street without a helmet and full body armor. Most of it in NS is the IWK, our local children's hospital. I can't drive mt dirt bike anymore, because parents didn't do their jobs and kids got killed. I've been driving since I was 5, and am perfectly responsible, but the government just blanket-bans everything.

Remember that when you're a parent.