Author Topic: Bad bad Windows 7  (Read 13086 times)

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
If you delete system files you must be smart enough for troubleshooting or tweaking. Only non smart people delete system files without knowing what they're doing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who said I didn't know what I was doing?
I wanted to delete an old driver file out of system32, but because of the security I can't.

When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why did you want to delete it? Was it causing instability or something? In my Experience, going after those little thingies just because I can usually ends up causing more trouble than it's worth. It's not like you'd need to go on a system-wide driver hunt just to reclaim a few Kb of Memory and a few lost processor cycles at startup....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
If grimper wants to get extremely scrutinous with his machine, then LET HIM BE!!! let him run linux. Not for the learning experience it'd be, but he sounds like the kind of guy who'd just love to build his system package by package and only have on their what he wants only.

Building a system package by package with a debian netinstall isn't very hard nor do that many packages need to be grabbed either for a full desktop system much smaller in size compared to a vista install.

I'm still left going WTF why does vista take up nearly a 20gb partition (i still go wtf when any OS takes up more than 4gb after install)? I remember back with win98, the whole install only took up 280mb.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
If you delete system files you must be smart enough for troubleshooting or tweaking. Only non smart people delete system files without knowing what they're doing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who said I didn't know what I was doing?
I wanted to delete an old driver file out of system32, but because of the security I can't.

You still can.  Boot into safe mode.

Or failing that use a Linux live CD (like any Ubuntu distro) and remove the file :)

It sounds like you're a user ready for Linxu.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I recommend what icefire. Go into safe mode, but more importantly try out a linux livecd. I recommend MEPIS. Mepis is very easy and fun to use for intermediates like grimper. Mepis has surpassed what use to be knoppix's domain for the utility livecd for diagnosing problems, testing hardware, and fixing problems with. Mepis is also installable so you can put it on the hard drive do cool stuff like dual boot. Ubuntu as a utility livecd...yeah right. I haven't found the livecd session on ubuntu cds for anything better than sampling ubuntu before you install.

Using a livecd to delete files on a windows install is usually what i end up doing regardless of being in safe mode or not. A livecd is the only way guaranteed that i can delete or plain old manually backup system files without them being in use by windows.

But,  yeah grimper, get mepis. Great utility livecd to have around even if you're a windows user. You can get ubuntu if you like, but i have a feeling you'll get tired of ubuntu where as mepis is a much cooler toy.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Funny how everyone makes completely bogus assumptions about me :lol:
Im not going to ellaborate, think I'll just keep you guessing. :P

EDIT: Ok maybe I won't, thats cruel seeing as you guys went to all the effort to give me recommendations.
I am definately not ready to construct a new computer file by file, I don't know squat about hardware, and I dont know anything about the innder workings on my computer except program files and control panel stuff.
Only wanted to delete that system file from info I got off forums, and I triple checked it, knowing what kind of damage it can do.

So thats my lets-get-to-know-grimper session, think i'll just leave you guys to your debates.

EDIT2: But I definately woudn't call myself a noob when it comes to computers. Confusing isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:18:38 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Internoob? :nervous:

SMBFD

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
*gasp*
When Australia burned.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken