Author Topic: Playing around with the 3d warp effect  (Read 39140 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Re: Playing around with the 3d warp effect
You know the engine already shrinks to model - or its apparent size shrinks....when the ship is far away.
What has to be done here is code to draw the model as if it was far away, while using the actual coordinates  for calculating occlusion and render order.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline neoterran

yes, but you'd have to have some kind of warping or morphing effect or it would just look weird.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
yes, but you'd have to have some kind of warping or morphing effect or it would just look weird.

Dude, we're dealing with weird things in this game. To begin with, it's about spaceships, aliens, incomprehensibly advanced technology and frickin' warping subspace effects and stuff.

I'd say that if things look weird, it's because they should look weird.  :D

Though, isn't it possible jo just put a simplified LOD of the ship that changes it's size when it advances on the vortex's axis towards the real space? Aren't we already having the 3D shockwave model changing its size? Not to mention the warpin effect in the first place... or are they just static models involving dynamic texturing?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline neoterran

no, i don't mean, it would look weird, space weird. I meant it would look weird, fake weird.
Chief Grognard.

Overall, we need the ability to have the ship fade from a transparent/cloaked appearance as it exits so that there is no point where you can see the ship behind the vortex. That could only be done with shaders IIRC.

Here's a thought as to how we can implement my idea (SEE ALSO: Page 1) brute force without any glowpoint:

- Create a fullbright sphere as stated in my previous post with fullwhite glowmaps (see Page 1)
- Intersecting this sphere are double-sided planes using a transparent subspace vortex texture. There is one vertical plane, one horizontal, and one sideways one -- so that no matter what angle you look at the sphere from, you see a subspace vortex image facing you.

I know, its a rather "low tech" idea, but with enough intersecting planes around the sphere, it could be made to look rather darn smooth. This implementation would really benefit from the use of HDRish as it would brighten up the entire thing and thus blend the edges to reduce "boxiness".

Perhaps the SCP code monkeys could find a way to multiply the number of planes dynamically depending on the size of the sphere (like the detail steps on the Death Star model)?

Finally, around all these planes, might be a good idea to consider adding an invisible sphere surrounding it. This outer sphere can be used to apply a "distortion" shader or even blooming (I saw this done in X3: Reunion, a warp texture blooms all things behind it) down the line, should shaders become available through the SCP.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:50:18 am by Gregster2k »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Nice screenshot shadow000, i'm convulsing already :lol: Anyway, i'm not showing off this screenshot to be cool, but the bloom effect works very nicely for juggernauts too. Showing this off mainly because smaller ships warp in and warp out a lot differently than the huge-ass ones do. One really different case would be the sathanas. The claws on the sathanas coming out of subspace here really captures the "coming out of the void" of subspace effect.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline neoterran

Let's face it, although it's probably a herculean task for the fragmented SCP crew, adding programmability in the form of shader support is probably one of the most important additions that could be made to Freespace. We could do so many things like this a lot easier.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
That bloom effect looks like it has much potential. And by the way, all of these vortexes are better than the MVP Delta one, so could someone have time to release one of these ready versions? The thing with the S-vortex is that you get a better image of a moving, working one. Oh, and while I think that the "player-facing" vort is an interesting idea, it's also way off-canon. But then again, these kind of things leave room for artistic improvisation.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:32:58 am by Slime »

Offline bolero

Wow S-99, that vortex looks amazing.  Certainly better then any of the subspace portals in any of the VP's i have seen.  Is it possible for this to be released?  What exactly was used to give that a cool bloom glow effect?

-bolero

Offline starfox

Looking super-dupulous, can't say much more....it's simply too awesome
 :yes:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 03:03:07 pm by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
As much as i'd like to get off topic, go check out the 3.6.8screenshots thread in general freespace, and you'll learn all about this. Must have ati card that's dx9 compliant for the smartshader called hdrish, it's doesn't look like this straight from the 3.6.8mvp's. Just showing off a really good example of a bloom shader enhancement. The difference is that much sweeter.
Really sucks that the doom3 bloom effects didn't really work, but it sounds like it wasn't going to work anyway. I mean the doom3 shader affects were made for doom3, it's not really something so much more universal for games like a smartshader is. I'm not saying use smartshaders only in any way. That would really suck. But, getting shaders in fs2 would be sweet, no more smartshaders, everyone could do it. Getting an actual bloom shader working in any fashion in the fs2 engine certainly is a big leap :)
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Axem

Bump cuz its my topic.

Oh and there's a movie. (Click ze pic)

Or here (1MB, DivX6)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Sexy  :nod:

:jaw:

I want. =o *drools*

:yes:

Me like the vortex effect.  :nod:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Wow.  I hope you share something soon :D

OHM I just realized -- now that alpha blending is possible for effects, surely there's even more possiblities to try?  ...or are you doing that already? :)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Persoanly, i've always wanted a flatish subspace portal, very little curvature at all...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Really GREAT !!! :nod:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
As aforementioned, that is avery nice effect. "applauds"
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

Backslash: I'm just using the graphic files J.P. released not too long ago with a few slight tweaks. Doubling the fps on the eff, and renaming all the files to the animation runs backwards.

FireCrack: This one is a lot flatter than the others. Making it a cone at the end is really hard to look right, so I'm trashing that idea for now.