Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578209 times)

Offline watsisname

Oh, looool.

Somehow it had the opposite effect for me, though I'm on the verge of passing out so I doubt I'll capitalize on it. :P
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
>.< can we just disable this minecart plugin, it's causing ridiculous amounts of lag with the massive amount of carts spawning everywhere
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline rhx123

The carts only spawn when someone presses the button. Not automatically. The only time the carts caused the server to lag was when I made a test auto spawning one, and that has been completely removed.
I think there is something wrong with your client or network connection, because most people seem to have no problem with the carts.
The carts do not keep chunks loaded so do not lag the server unless you are near a large ammount.
What does cause server memory usage is players standing afk by mob traps for a long ammount of time.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
By the way, I would propose the construction of a community Nether Wart farm at some point in our Nether outpost. I scoured the Storehouse for Nether Warts the other day with intention of starting my own farm, with no success until Grimper eventually hooked me up. The farm I've got running now (rhx knows which one) should produce enough Nether Wart to bootstrap a fullsize operation in fairly short order.

Since the Warts are crucial ingredients in any beneficial potions, I could easily foresee a significant demand should many players get interested in alchemy. On that same note, I would submit that we (as server users) should do our best to avoid damaging the Nether Stronghold, especially the Blaze Spawners, so that everybody can have a shot at bootstrapping alchemy the way Notch intended.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking of the Nether, the new rail system is coming along great. :) I like having the walkway underneath the tracks like that.  It'd be handy to have a Nether gate at my place too, but I'm not sure if it'd managed to coexist with funtapaz's, since that's relatively close.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Why does the netherrail need a fence in the middle? It just makes it feel cramped, and forces you to break the fence if you want to get to a portal on the other side.

EDIT: Just noticed the gates. Either way it still makes it feel cramped; maybe that's the effect you're going for though.

If you would like to, building a portal at -204, 129 would service my northern outpost.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:03:36 pm by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Why does the netherrail need a fence in the middle? It just makes it feel cramped, and forces you to break the fence if you want to get to a portal on the other side.

EDIT: Just noticed the gates. Either way it still makes it feel cramped; maybe that's the effect you're going for though.

Ah.  Sorry about the fences.  Its a partially successful attempt to prevent pigzombies from spawning on the tracks.  I could try replaceing the fence gates with just open space with a glass block.  Mobs usually don't spawn on glass.
If you would like to, building a portal at -204, 129 would service my northern outpost.
Are those co-ords overworld or nether?  If you could give me the x/y/z/f of your overworld gate I'll get it lined up and connected before I give up creative.

As for adding more gates to the system, it can be done and should work as long as care is taken to manually line up the nether side gates (don't let them auto generate).  The gate gate the the Spirit Temple is buried under quite a lot of material while on the opposite side the gate for what I called the 'Far West' near one of the Nether strongholds was just 2 blocks side-by-side in mid-air.

If two gates are manually lined up well enough then if anybody lights a new one on the overworld nearby it won't affect the normal operations of the original pair and if the interfering gate is sufficiently far away (32? blocks on the x and z) then a manually placed nether side gate should pair up to it and disconnect it from the first pair.

Anyhoow.  Now that I have got the original network up and running (well, I only had coordinates for my gates + the floating island, nobody replied when I asked if anybody wanted their gates reconnecting) I'll be giving up godhood creative and continuing working on it as normal, unless anybody else has one or more gates they want reconnecting?  If you do just post the portal's overworld x/y/z/f co-ords.  If it ends up the netherside portal will be in thin air (or in lava) then I'll make a suitable island for it.  If its in solid netherrack, well you do still remember the recipe for pickaxes don't you?  ;)
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Axem

You can connect the system to one of my gates in my area. :) My overworld gate is at around -100, 70, 850. It was auto generated, but its on solid ground on the netherside. It's not too far from the already built railsystem.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hmm, guess I should figure out where the heck I want to plop one if I want to get in on this, then. :p

Server's down every time I try to join these days.. hope you guys can look into it soon.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No more minecarts or rails trough TrashMania pls. Taht one station and connection is enough.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
The coordinates I gave were the nether coordinates to use. Should just be my overworld coordinates divided by eight, correct?
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

The coordinates I gave were the nether coordinates to use. Should just be my overworld coordinates divided by eight, correct?

If your place is the one to the west* in the snow (with the rather natty long corridor with the cool light switch) then I think I got the right place.  I've got the gate chamber and access door done last night and I'll probably get the rest done soon tonight.

I have been using overworld co-ords.  Its simple to do the /8 and gives me a idea of how much margin for error I'm allowed in placing the nether side.  Not been a problem yet.

Actually, while on the subject of Minecraft co-ords, my experience is the Y co-ord is the up/down.  Is this true for a lot of other 3d stuff?  I allays feel like I'm getting Y and Z mixed up.  :lol:

*I think the compass directions have been rotated.  On my screen the dynamap shows North as pointing to the right while oddly North changes direction when I switch to the nether view.

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, Swantz's and my areas used to be in the "Northlands," but now we're technically out west due to the goofy compass switch.  At least the name still sounds good. :)  Here's a question for you, though: does the gate height in the overworld directly correspond with the height in the Nether?  My little complex is almost at the top of the map, so if I put the gate close enough to be convenient, I'm afraid it might be well above where the Nether rail is situated, which would just make things very difficult.  One thing I could possibly do instead is put one at the bottom of my hill if that makes life easier, since I'm probably going to build some sort of thing there in the future.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, is there any sort of general etiquette for grabbing glowstone from the Nether?  Since all the stations are clustered so close together, I don't want to start grabbing things that other people might have a more immediate use for.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Actually, while on the subject of Minecraft co-ords, my experience is the Y co-ord is the up/down.  Is this true for a lot of other 3d stuff?  I allays feel like I'm getting Y and Z mixed up.  :lol:
Yes, in minecraft the Y is up/down.  Y being up/down is rather common; it is also what FSO uses for vertical coord.  Most games I have seen use Y as up and down.  The ones were I have seen Z be up and down are things like RTS or stuff that deals with Earth where the primary direction of movement is on a X/Y plane.

*I think the compass directions have been rotated.  On my screen the dynamap shows North as pointing to the right while oddly North changes direction when I switch to the nether view.
Yes, as of version 1.0.0, the sun now sets in the "East", rather than setting in the "North", but most most everyone assumed what the game called "north" was actually the east because it was were the sun was setting.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, is there any sort of general etiquette for grabbing glowstone from the Nether?  Since all the stations are clustered so close together, I don't want to start grabbing things that other people might have a more immediate use for.
Before the wipe, there was just about no Glowstone to be found anywhere near the outpost. I'd say you probably wouldn't be impolite to scoop up whatever you want, but I don't know for certain. If you really don't want to step on anybody's toes, mount a little expedition- the Nether is just lousy with Glowstone deposits if you're any good at vertical building.

Oh yeah, just to reiterate, I'm attempting to build up a stockpile of Nether Warts, both for sharing and to bootstrap farming operations. Feel free to bother me for some if you need it.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes, in minecraft the Y is up/down.  Y being up/down is rather common; it is also what FSO uses for vertical coord.  Most games I have seen use Y as up and down.  The ones were I have seen Z be up and down are things like RTS or stuff that deals with Earth where the primary direction of movement is on a X/Y plane.
I think it's fairly standard in 3D math for Z to be the up/down axis, so it can take a bit of getting used to if that's what people are more familiar with.

Yes, as of version 1.0.0, the sun now sets in the "East", rather than setting in the "North", but most most everyone assumed what the game called "north" was actually the east because it was were the sun was setting.
You'd think it would have made more sense to just change the direction labels instead of physically moving the sun.  It would suck if someone specifically designed a building around facing the rising/setting sun and then had it screwed up because of the change.

And yeah, IronBeer, I was thinking I'd try heading further out in some direction if I explicitly needed a decent amount of glowstone.  If nothing else, the natural formations look pretty cool, so it'd be nice to leave a few right around the rail area.

It seems like with the new nether there seems to be quite a bit of glowstone about with a half decent amount not too difficult to reach.  As always however reaching the stuff isn't the problem, its the local wildlife :drevil:
Here's a question for you, though: does the gate height in the overworld directly correspond with the height in the Nether?  My little complex is almost at the top of the map, so if I put the gate close enough to be convenient, I'm afraid it might be well above where the Nether rail is situated, which would just make things very difficult.  One thing I could possibly do instead is put one at the bottom of my hill if that makes life easier, since I'm probably going to build some sort of thing there in the future.

As for the height in the nether, afaIk the Y plane is uncompressed.  If that wasn't the case then the gate for the floating islands would be far above the nether's height limit.  Go ahead and build it at any height you want.  It'll make for a more interesting ride.

EDIT:  Seems that the server has died again...  :(

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Server's down every time I try to join these days.. hope you guys can look into it soon.

You remembered to change the address for it right?
"No"

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
You'd think it would have made more sense to just change the direction labels instead of physically moving the sun.  It would suck if someone specifically designed a building around facing the rising/setting sun and then had it screwed up because of the change.

Which is what has happened with my "sandstone mansion" in town. I built it so that the sun would rise and set on the sides with glass. Now my northern outpost faces the sunrise, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

EDIT: Yes butter_pat_head, my place is the one with the corridor. Thanks. :) If you want to, there's another place I may request that you build for. It's would be at -95,79 in nether coords. That's the original northlands.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:27:39 pm by Swantz »

Formerly known as Swantz