Author Topic: Hi Poly Elysium  (Read 22540 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
*doges behind counter*
Whew, I thought that trout was meant for me.

Yeah, the new Elysium looks good with env mapping.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
does anyone else get those nebula colors on the hulls and canopies/windows with env. mapping on?

Wow. Just... wow.

*smacks with a trout* What do you think environment mapping is?

i'm talking about the three ****ing NEBULA BITMAPS.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Screen shot? I'm just not understanding you (I hope). You're supposed to see background bitmaps on ships windows and hulls and such.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Great work!! :yes: :yes:

One HTL ship more is always good news.

(I have also LOD 2 and 3 issue).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
does anyone else get those nebula colors on the hulls and canopies/windows with env. mapping on?

Wow. Just... wow.

*smacks with a trout* What do you think environment mapping is?

i'm talking about the three ****ing NEBULA BITMAPS.

Yeah. And? Environment mapping takes the background maps (a.k.a. the environment) and shows it on the hull.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
...you just freaking missed the point. i'm talking about the nebula bitmaps that show up on the canopy when there's nothing there to reflect.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yeah, I have things reflecting in the tech room, I'm assuming that's supposed to happen.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
...you just freaking missed the point. i'm talking about the nebula bitmaps that show up on the canopy when there's nothing there to reflect.

This is a question for Taylor to answer. But I think it's coded a fixed env reflection within F3 window or tech room. Because of this reason, Taylor gave a cubemap.vp (cubemap.dss) with his builds, to see this reflection even from the first time you ran the new env mapping feature. Look at http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39734.msg809846.html#msg809846
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Perhaps if you specified that you were talking about in the techroom, or the lab, or that there were no nebulas present, rather than flipping out when people look at you like you're just now noticing there's light coming from the sun, there wouldn't be this problem.

Offline Axem

Ah communication. Where would we be without you?

If I recall, the nebula "lighting" is usually retained from the last mission you've played. Though nothing should show up right away, like ARSPR said, the cubemap may be pushing itself on.

Also I notice this has sorta drifted off topic just so slightly. Let's get back to the original topic. Which is satisfying my ego with your praises and offers of sacrifice.   :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:11:34 pm by Axem »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
like ARSPR said

Don't take this wrong if its not the case, but does anyone else read ARSPR as ARSePiRate? >..> It just fits the lettering too well <..>

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I read it aspar which gets turned, in my mind, to aspartame.

That's one sexy shoebox Axem I will sacrafice my virgin (loser) self on an alter before its boxy alter.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
like ARSPR said

Don't take this wrong if its not the case, but does anyone else read ARSPR as ARSePiRate? >..> It just fits the lettering too well <..>

Well I can assure you that there's a much easier explanation for my forum name ...

But I think Axem is right, lets return this thread to praise him  ::)  :lol:

(BUT you still have a LOD issue and I think the ship paths are a bit mad  :hopping:)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
As far as the elysiums cockpit windows go. Keep in mind this thing flies just like bobba fetts ship, i have no doubt this thing lands the same way too.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Axem

(BUT you still have a LOD issue and I think the ship paths are a bit mad  :hopping:)

I still can't figure out that LOD issue. It's driving me crazy. And what's wrong with the paths? I copied them directly from the old pof.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well in F3 renderer, paths don't seem quite logical.

BUT I do not know what they exactly do, (or if they are really important),  AND I haven't checked the old model ones. You'll have to ask to someone more expert about them ( ;) or just not noob as myself).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I still can't figure out that LOD issue. It's driving me crazy.

I seem to vaguely remember that PCS works out the LODs from the order they were added NOT from the names.

It's been a while so don't quote me on that but I seem to remember having this same problem a few years back.

Shouldn't take you more than a minute or two to check if I'm right about that. Just simply pull the LODs out of the hierarchy and then add them back in the correct order and convert.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Axem

Ah sorry. I must have missed that. :blah:

But it did seem to do the trick. :) Thanks. Add that to the stupid things in FreeSpace modding book. :p

LODs look fine in modelview and the lab. I've uploaded a new model, it should just be in the same place as the old one.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No need to apologise. It's you who got driven crazy by missing it not me :p

Glad it's working now though :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Cool!

;)
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM