Author Topic: FSF: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER  (Read 40290 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
FSF: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
In light of recent events I beleive it is time for.

The FreeSpace Forever Project to be started.

FreeSpace Forever is a new engine for the FreeSpace 2, using the same datafiles [or as close to them as possible... damn MVE copyright] that will be cross-platform, and naturally have more capabilities than the origional.

We all know that I cannot write this alone, I don't even know where to begin on optimized[/b] OpenGL programming. So Progammers UNITE, let's bring new life to our beloved FreeSpace.

[never saw it coming after my last VBB thread did ya?]
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
Intresting.... pull this off and I'll take my hat off to you and apologise for the name calling. However aren't there copyright issues to think about?

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
He is makeing a new game engine right? so why worry about copyrights? or am i missing something here....

*Go's back to animation*
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Its the same kind of legal issues that we have with The Babylon Project and the same kind oh so many other MODs have (inside and outside of the community).

Oh yes, and an old VBB topic (years ago) has permanently scarred me for life.  Whenever I see a forum topic with UNITE in it...I instead see UNTIE! :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
naughty :D
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by IceFire
Its the same kind of legal issues that we have with The Babylon Project and the same kind oh so many other MODs have (inside and outside of the community).

But - correct me if I'm wrong here - this copyright would be needed from Volition or Interplay...You can't just build a game engine and immediately base the whole thing on the Freespace universe, it might not be profit making but I'm sure there's some problem with this...

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Thunder
But - correct me if I'm wrong here - this copyright would be needed from Volition or Interplay...You can't just build a game engine and immediately base the whole thing on the Freespace universe, it might not be profit making but I'm sure there's some problem with this...

Actually, the engine would have nothing to do with Freespace, it would just support similar file formats - meaning that anyone who already has Freespace or Freespace 2 would be able to use the files on the new engine. It's a good idea, and I don't see any real legal problems with it.

Good luck, though - unfortunately I don't have time to help on this right now...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Fair enough - also, would a new story be written and so on, or would it be a straight port of one of the old stories (yet more legal issues there of course)...

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
MVE?
bah.
DIVX.

As for copyright issues...well.  Put together a demo, send it off to them and see what they say.

I like optimised OpenGL...contact 3dlabs and see if they'll give you some openGL 2.0 stuff, i think most of the infrastructure is in place, plus its backwards compatible.

By the time the engine gets together etc. , I should have finished most of my work for Descent4 so I could give everyone a hand with models/cinematics etc. :D

I really like this idea - specially if it draws on a community as huge as HLP - but the self-discipline needed in telecommuting is huge.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Agreed, although I can't help with much work on it I'm certainly interested and immediatly offer HLPs services for hosting as soon as some kind of shape comes to this.

Also I must warn that (in light of VBB occurences) if this thread or any other related to it becomes a flame war it'll be locked on sight. Just thought I'd make it clear :)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by wEvil
MVE?
bah.
DIVX.

MVE must be the crappiest movie encoder since flic.... :D :p

Do you need to pay any liscence to encode "commercial" movies in DivX? I know that you can use the encoder for free when you're not making any profits...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Inquisitor

Make a demo.

Then worry about whether you have to figure out the legal stuff.

Till you make a demo, it's all vapourware.

I'd suggest demoing it in an established engine, quickest route to getting something playable. While I don;t agree with Descent 4's choice of Crystal Space, if you are HALF the programmer you think you are, you should be able to get something playable out of it in relatively short order. That gives you something to show, proof some of your playability thoughts, while you code your own engine.

But coding an engine THEN making a game out of it is ALOT of work. I went the "license" approach and shelled out the 100 bucks for Torque, so I didn't have to start from the ground up while learning the game related stuff. Better documentaion, more full featured engine (out of the "box"), already cross platform. Another good engine, that can have playable stuff in weeks, buys you time to code your own or come up with the design documentation, or whatever.

Demo, then hard core code. The D4 people did some concept stuff using the D3 engine. That was one thing I think they did right, got something playable in peoples hands quickly.

Watch the "god" complex, and good luck.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2002, 10:28:18 am by 122 »
No signature.

Re: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
Originally posted by Kazan
In light of recent events I beleive it is time for.

The FreeSpace Forever Project to be started.

FreeSpace Forever is a new engine for the FreeSpace 2, using the same datafiles [or as close to them as possible... damn MVE copyright] that will be cross-platform, and naturally have more capabilities than the origional.

We all know that I cannot write this alone, I don't even know where to begin on optimized
OpenGL programming. So Progammers UNITE, let's bring new life to our beloved FreeSpace.

[never saw it coming after my last VBB thread did ya?] [/B]

I want to help.

As far as legal issues are concerned, techinically as long as we dont market it and try to make $$$$$ of it we're good. This is something we as a community must do in order to ensure the survival of Freespace. As Cliffe (the lead programmer of Counter-Strike) did, he not only brought a modification beloved by thousands of fans, but the company also hired and licsensed the mod!!!!!!!!

so who is Volition or intercrap or THQ to say we can't "HELP" them make there "games" LAST LONGER THAN 2-3 od' years on average?

Kaazan, e-mail me @ [email protected] ; i can let you know what capabilities I have to help assist this great undertaking!;) ;) ;)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
an0n's guide to avoiding copyright infringement
  • The game will have no references to anything even remotely FS
  • The game will consist of flying blocks and spheres that shoot kittens a each other
  • The game will have extreme MODability enabling people to create ships, missions, interface art and sounds that can be imported into the game by some means (;7)
  • Screw MVE
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Originally posted by an0n
an0n's guide to avoiding copyright infringement
  • The game will have no references to anything even remotely FS
  • The game will consist of flying blocks and spheres that shoot kittens a each other
  • The game will have extreme MODability enabling people to create ships, missions, interface art and sounds that can be imported into the game by some means (;7)
  • Screw MVE
[/B]

OK, thats it!:headz:  hahahahhahahahaahh funniest thing i ever heard.........i acutally had a tear come down my eye............;7
« Last Edit: April 11, 2002, 10:57:28 am by 382 »

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Womp?

Kazan, you do realise that by doing this you'll be making all the newbies who screamed 'We can make our own FS' completely right, don't you?
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Originally posted by an0n
Womp?

Kazan, you do realise that by doing this you'll be making all the newbies who screamed 'We can make our own FS' completely right, don't you?

Deep Eyes= Not a newbie. with-all-due respect i got a lil-hyped.
i've been playing both games and moding them since 1998. thats almost 5 years. although my presence here has been limited and slow to comunity standards, i am far from a newbie.:mad:

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Im not sure - you'd have to email one of their team but i'm sure there'd be no problem.

They love people using their codec, £50 or something and you got a license (or whatever, i dunno)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by deep_eyes
Deep Eyes= Not a newbie. with-all-due respect i got a lil-hyped.
i've been playing both games and moding them since 1998. thats almost 5 years. although my presence here has been limited and slow to comunity standards, i am far from a newbie.:mad:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm presuming you posted something like that either here or at the VBB and I missed it.

*remembers Jabu's teachings.....vaguely*
Newbie=Retard
newbie=new, inexperienced or not yet had spirit crushed by corporate whoreism

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Re: Re: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
Originally posted by deep_eyes

As far as legal issues are concerned, techinically as long as we dont market it and try to make $$$$$ of it we're good.

yeah right.
Ever heard about Alien Quake?
CounterStrike is not a relevant exemple, modding was encouraged by valve, and CS doesn't refere to any existing universe or anything and therefore had no legal issue to worry about.
SCREW CANON!