Author Topic: Normal map shared across differently oriented polygons  (Read 11067 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Normal map shared across differently oriented polygons
Note: I am not interested in workarounds. I have a workaround. I am interested in the answer to my question.

Here's a texturing problem the root cause of which I haven't quite been able to figure out yet: in the attached screenshot, there's a plane built of 16 quads (none of which share any vertices with each other) with the same normal map applied to each one. When the quads are all pointing in the same direction (left image; look at the little red arrows) everything's fine. However, when I randomly rotate each quad 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees (again, the little red arrows show the orientation of the texture), the normal maps suddenly break in a subtle manner on the quads which got rotated: the pixel normals start pointing in the wrong directions.

The problem is that I don't really know where the problem originates:

1. Is it the model? Maybe the model has wrong tangents/binormals?
2. Is it the engine? Maybe it doesn't calculate tangents/binormals right?
3. Is it the shader? Maybe it doesn't calculate the final direction of the normal correctly?

So, my question is, where is the problem? What would be needed to fix it? It seems clear enough that this isn't an unsolvable problem and that there's actually some way to fix the glitch (if there wasn't, then I don't see how a normal map could ever work on for example a deforming mesh, and obviously there's plenty of engines around which do that).

The normal maps used by the engine are supposed to be tangent-space normal maps, and if I correctly understand what that means then stuff like this should work. Using tangent-space normal maps (as opposed to world- or object-space normal maps) supposedly allow them to work with fancy things like mesh deformations, so what's the deal here? Do we not have tangent-space normal mapping after all, is there a bug in there somewhere or is it because of something else?

I've tried this with several sets of shaders and all of them exhibit the same problem.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: Normal map shared across differently oriented polygons
its the UV map

besides, didnt we already go over this problem overall?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline zookeeper

its the UV map

Yes, but no one has so far managed to explain how it could be fixed or even what the problem is precisely and how do other game engines presumably do it.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
its the UV map

Yes, but no one has so far managed to explain how it could be fixed or even what the problem is precisely and how do other game engines presumably do it.
i did explain it in detail to you over IRC a while ago. i cant find the logs anymore, thanks to the retarded IRC client i used.

i'll whip up an explanation relatively soon-ish tho.

Offline zookeeper

its the UV map

i did explain it in detail to you over IRC a while ago. i cant find the logs anymore, thanks to the retarded IRC client i used.

i'll whip up an explanation relatively soon-ish tho.

This?

<zookeeper> even with the latest'ish shaders the normal map still behaves differently based on which way the quad is facing
<pecenipicek2>  oh for...
<pecenipicek2> that should be your cue, shouldnt it?
<pecenipicek2> as in, "intended behavior"
<zookeeper> that kind of intended behaviour doesn't make any sense though
<pecenipicek2> does it look similar to what i linked to you when you view it with the "latest-ish" shaders?
<pecenipicek2> compare this to what you see with your "latest" http://imagebin.org/130788
<zookeeper> yes, that's what i get now
<pecenipicek2> good then.
<zookeeper> http://imagebin.org/130790
<pecenipicek2> learn to work within the "constraints" of that
<The_E> Looks to me like it's working as expected
<zookeeper> so are you saying that you know there's no reasonable workaround for that besides actually workarounding it in the model/texture?
<pecenipicek2> since its all tiled from a single block, the fact of the matter is that depending on how the uv for a particular block is faced, thats the way the shading with normals will go
<zookeeper> i still don't understand why that cannot be compensated for
<zookeeper> i mean, obviously the game/shaders knows which way the texture is facing
<The_E> zookeeper: The basic problem is that there's no non-trivial way to get the orientation data you would need from just the model info and the texture
<zookeeper> The_E, does that mean there's a trivial way? :P
<The_E> Err
<The_E> No trivial way, was what i meant to say
<zookeeper> anyway, this is still bizarre to me. what would happen if i'd have originally baked the normal map onto a quad which is facing sideways, instead of one that's "correctly" facing up?
<pecenipicek2> what?
<zookeeper> nevermind
<The_E> zookeeper: The problem here is that the texture is being applied mirrored
<pecenipicek2> http://imagebin.org/130792
<pecenipicek2> http://imagebin.org/130793
<pecenipicek2> http://imagebin.org/130794
<pecenipicek2> does tis look "perfect" to what you had in mind?
<zookeeper> yes
<pecenipicek2> good. you know how you can make it work properly?
<zookeeper> yes
<pecenipicek2> dont tile it from a single tex.
<zookeeper> yeah, i can make 4 variations of the normal map
<pecenipicek2> for each orientation, you need a normal map made for that orientation.
<pecenipicek2> its not a bug of any sort, its the way how each and every relatively sane 3D engine nowadays works.
<pecenipicek2> its exactly the same as the issue with the numbers on the herc 2 being written backwards on one side of the model.
<zookeeper> well, the thing is that i thought tangents/bitangents were exactly for storing the info about which way things are facing
<pecenipicek2> they do.
<zookeeper> but that that's still not enough information in this case?
<pecenipicek2> no. Tangents and bitangents are for POLYGONS.
<pecenipicek2> normal maps affect those to give the illusion of depth.
<pecenipicek2> read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping
<zookeeper> oh well, i guess i have no choice. meh.
<pecenipicek2> as i told you before, learn to use proper tools and use proper methods.
<zookeeper> so what if i was modelling a room, and wanted to use the same normal map for each wall? it'd be as buggy as my slab now?
<pecenipicek2> yup.
<zookeeper> oh dear.
[/size]

That's far from a detailed explanation especially when 1) it'd be retarded general limitation of normal maps and also because 2) I can't find anything on the internets which would corroborate that. How could the normal maps on a deforming mesh possibly continue to render correctly when the orientation of the polygons keeps changing all the time?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Possibly by using geometry shaders or a trick similar to it to? And having more than one rendering pass in which to do it in?

But it's still done the same. UV Direction and Normal Tangent Map Direction must be in alignment, pure and simple. Mesh deformation doesn't change that to any degree because it does not affect the uv map in any way.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:21:21 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
as i said before, its related to uv mapping.

polygon orientation itself doesnt have **** to do with the breaking normals that happen to you.

in short, dont rotate the uv's, rotate the polygons. and make sure that at first all UV polys are orientated the correct way.

as you've said: "there's a plane built of 16 quads (none of which share any vertices with each other)", this should be trivial to do.

Possibly by using geometry shaders or a trick similar to it to? And having more than one rendering pass in which to do it in?
nope. or not in the case of any sane engine would be my guess

But it's still done the same. UV Direction and Normal Tangent Map Direction must be in alignment, pure and simple. Mesh deformation doesn't change that to any degree because it does not affect the uv map in any way.

corrected
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:15:14 am by pecenipicek »

Offline zookeeper

as i said before, its related to uv mapping.

polygon orientation itself doesnt have **** to do with the breaking normals that happen to you.

in short, dont rotate the uv's, rotate the polygons. and make sure that at first all UV polys are orientated the correct way.

as you've said: "there's a plane built of 16 quads (none of which share any vertices with each other)", this should be trivial to do.

Well... as I too have said before, that's exactly what I have done:

All the UV's are oriented the same way, all the quads are oriented the same way. It renders correctly like in the screenshot on the left. Then I detach a quad and rotate it. UV's stay intact and exactly at the same locations. Then I attach the quad back. UV's don't change. But now it renders wrong like in the screenshot on the right.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
it will only work if you keep the quad detached. if you connect it back, it will share vertices again, and out goes the stuff

make sure all the quads are detached first, in the same object, but not sharing vertices, align the uv's so they are all the same, THEN rotate the quads themselves, not the uv.

Offline zookeeper

it will only work if you keep the quad detached. if you connect it back, it will share vertices again, and out goes the stuff

Attaching objects has nothing to do with sharing vertices. I'm attaching the quad back but I'm doing absolutely nothing to the vertices; the vertices of the quad are not getting welded with the vertices of the plane. Each quad is a separate element and doesn't share vertices with any other quad... just like I've said.

make sure all the quads are detached first, in the same object, but not sharing vertices, align the uv's so they are all the same, THEN rotate the quads themselves, not the uv.

Same as above. Doesn't help.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Attaching objects has nothing to do with sharing vertices. I'm attaching the quad back but I'm doing absolutely nothing to the vertices; the vertices of the quad are not getting welded with the vertices of the plane. Each quad is a separate element and doesn't share vertices with any other quad... just like I've said.

Same as above. Doesn't help.

He's talking about the UV editor, not the geometry editor. If you keep your quads as separate islands ins UV space you can rotate them however you want and then stack them on top of each other. This way you'll get perfext lighting on the normal map, since the engine doesn't now that those quads are sharing vertices and therefore doesn't try to compensate lighting across vertices.

All of this has nothing to do with editing the geometry, it's just in UV space.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken